Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 10:35 AM

746 posts, read 866,297 times

Advertisements

I don't want to join an aspy group because that will draw attention on me. And I wanted to avoid community college but I guess I'll consider it since it's not too realistic for a student to pay for 4 year university by theirself. My mom said she would help pay since she has her own job, that might cause a lot of conflict between her and my dad since we all live together. I might still be able to get my dad on board though, if I show him I'm taking it really serious, I am but don't act all energetic, cause I'm not. I remember when I had 5-6 friends all at once, the old gang (not a literal gang). One became rude to all of his current friends, he's a stuck up artist, he became too full of himself. One wanted to give me a bj and I refused and now it's awkward to hang out and we haven't talked since then. Two others were friends with the stuck up artist so I felt they'd float away from me if they hang out with him still. I had a best friend for 6 years, his first day of high school he started ignoring me. He would completely ignore me when I was trying to talk to him right next to him in the hallway! He occasionally came and talked to me to show off his new phone or new boots or something. I miss having friends that would hang out with me outside of school. It was even cooler that we all lived in the same subdivision, so we could walk or bike to see each other (subdivision is 8 miles from town).

Old 01-07-2014, 10:38 AM

When I was a little kid like in Kindergarten I remember being rude to the other kids, maybe that's why I ended up being bullied. Why couldn't I of been taught how to treat people at an early age? Then my life might be different. 2 people have become friends that were not before, and I have made new friends that I didn't know before. One of them graduated and I miss her, she'll even still talk to me, hard to find good people where I live, she was one of the good people.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:41 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,003 times
I never said bullying was okay. Btw...I have a son with aspergers and I'm on the spectrum as well.

Even if you are completely understanding and knowledgeable about aspergers, they still tend to grate on the nerves. You got a problem with that reality?...

Old 01-07-2014, 10:46 AM

You just gotta hang in there bro. It gets better...or more manageable later in life. And having kids at 30 or even 40 is usually completely safe. My wife had 3 kids after 40...

In the mean time... Play Video Games!!! Hahaha

Old 01-07-2014, 10:47 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Everyone in life seeks to find our place to fit in and be accepted. Austin offers a lot of MeetUp groups, which is a great way to find your passion in life and meet others who share your interests. Check out Meetup.com.

Also, as was stated, you meet people at your job. Austin has a lot of weirdos and people who are not "standard" drones, so you might find that you don't stick out as much as you might in your home town.

Also, don't rule out an aspg support group. It won't draw attention to you and if you truly are part of that community, like it or not, it's there that you will find your greatest friends and allies.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:52 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
All this "I need to do this, I need to do that" talk and thinking is the problem. You just go do it, you don't keep complaining about it. You want to get friends, just go out there and do it, stop thinking about it. Be the person you want to be... wanting something will just keep you wanting forever.

Skills and personality change are not learned through thinking, they are learned through doing, and repetition. Experience reinforces the positive change and confirms to the brain "hey, this really works" ... thinking alone accomplishes nothing unless it leads to action.

Also don't be insecure and don't worry if people make fun of you.. relax and don't take things personally. People like to joke and the only reason people really make fun of others is to boost their own self esteem, it has nothing really to do with 'you' ... but rather them.

There's lot of people out there in the world ... saying and thinking that there is 'nobody good' out there is a self reinforcing belief system. Give people a chance.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:53 AM

Are there a lot of straight women ages 17-19 in Austin Texas? I'm not comfortable with dating a bi women, that's why I'm stressing the word straight.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:54 AM

147 posts, read 595,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
Even if you are completely understanding and knowledgeable about aspergers, they still tend to grate on the nerves. You got a problem with that reality?...
Not sure how the hostile response is justified. I respected your stance until I read that.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:54 AM

80-90% of them are straight...

Old 01-07-2014, 10:55 AM

147 posts, read 595,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
All this "I need to do this, I need to do that" talk and thinking is the problem. You just go do it, you don't keep complaining about it. You want to get friends, just go out there and do it, stop thinking about it. Be the person you want to be... wanting something will just keep you wanting forever.

Skills and personality change are not learned through thinking, they are learned through doing, and repetition. Experience reinforces the positive change and confirms to the brain "hey, this really works" ... thinking alone accomplishes nothing unless it leads to action.

Also don't be insecure and don't worry if people make fun of you.. relax and don't take things personally. People like to joke and the only reason people really make fun of others is to boost their own self esteem, it has nothing really to do with 'you' ... but rather them.
I agree with everything you said. OP to positive outlook is a must. Try not to be so cynical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: