Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 03:02 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsami View Post
As for other types of food people keep saying Austin has great food because they compare it to San Antonio, Waco, El paso.
I have lived in Houston, Dallas and travelled in every state and major city in the US as well as plenty of places overseas on multiple continents. Austin does have incredible dining. No, we don't have the variety that some larger cities have of course not ... yes there are some cultural holes that exist. But that doesn't mean that places like Qui's, Uchi/Uchiko, Vespaio and others aren't absolutely outstanding places, and that is just a tiny start to a list.

Quote:
if you compare Austin to LA or San Francisco or Chicago in terms of Ethnic food Austin is generally not at all in the same league.
It depends on the ethnic. Austin certainly lacks some cuisines, yes. One of my favorite cuisines of all is middle eastern and there is nowhere here that is worth a darn for that kind of food, it is disapointing. On the other hand I have found some very good vietnamese and chinese, great Italian, very good German (better than in Houston), some of the best BBQ in the world, some great southern and fusion places. We have a great and underated dining scene in this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 03:06 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,274,900 times
Quote:
Yes and No.
Austin does very well for the size of the Metro.

Yes cities like Austin, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Indianapolis, San Antonio, Orlando, ... would be considered division 2 and Austin would do very will compared to cities of it's weight class.

I think what makes Austin different is the combination of our respect for creativity, and our willingness to explore. Look at how much of our industry is something creative. From game design, to ad agencies, to architecture firms, to business process improvement software, we have a love for the creative. The second is tied to our adventurousness - our comfort in pushing the boundaries. You compare us to Indianapolis or even Orlando. There is no way a Barley Swine or Qui survives in those places. Norfolk (same size metro) - those two places wouldn't even get open.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:11 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Quote:
Yes and No.

but most people who boast about our beloved city of Austin do not quality what league they are talking about.

I would kind of Consider Greater LA, Greater San Jose, Greater SF, Seattle, NY, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, Miami in division 1 of food.

Yes cities like Austin, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Indianapolis, San Antonio, Orlando, ... would be considered division 2 and Austin would do very will compared to cities of it's weight class.
I would put Orlando in a division by itself... last. Almost 100% fast food and copies of other restaurants.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:12 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Quote:
Yes and No.

but most people who boast about our beloved city of Austin do not quality what league they are talking about.

I would kind of Consider Greater LA, Greater San Jose, Greater SF, Seattle, NY, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, Miami in division 1 of food.

It is borderline ridiculous to put a city like St. Louis or Orlando in the same sentence as Austin. St. Louis has some notable Italian food. But talk about a city without ethnic food - and you have St. Louis (unless your definition of ethnic means Italian). Orlando is a mecca of family dining. San Antonio has some interesting places, but it lacks the across the board inventiveness of Austin. San Antonio doesn't even have great barbecue.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:41 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
It is borderline ridiculous to put a city like St. Louis or Orlando in the same sentence as Austin. St. Louis has some notable Italian food. But talk about a city without ethnic food - and you have St. Louis (unless your definition of ethnic means Italian). Orlando is a mecca of family dining. San Antonio has some interesting places, but it lacks the across the board inventiveness of Austin. San Antonio doesn't even have great barbecue.
but... but....but ... Orlando has the best McDonalds burgers and the best Sonic tater tots.......

Old 01-08-2014, 04:25 PM

65 posts, read 75,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Yelp is not the best source. Try the food section of the Austin Chronicle and then there are a million blogs devoted to Austin food.

Sorry to be the one to tell you but you don't come to Texas for pizza or bagels. Or really Italian food at all although I will say that the Italian options are improving everyday which just shows you how bad things were! Regarding BBQ Texas Monthly runs a huge website updated daily just on BBQ in Texas.

Step away from Yelp. It is best used when traveling. Spend a few minutes googling and you will find a wealth of resources.

Awesome, I will check out some blogs and the Austin Chronicle. Thanks for your help!

Old 01-08-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
I love using Yelp for the purpose. I'm in Round Rock and pretty much loved Yelp's top highest rated restaurants in the RR area.

Get used to the waits. 2-3 hours is exaggerating I think, unless you go someplace like Franklin's BBQ, but yea, it's busy here and will only get more busy in the future. Most places we go for dinner have a 30-60 minute wait, but you can try to beat the wait by going before 5 or after 9.

Yelp has been working for me at least.

Yes, Franklins. The bbq was good. I had the brisket, which was really good, but not what people here make it out to be in my honest opinion. I can't remember the burger joint that my friends and I ate at, however, we waited close to an hour and a half. Pretty decent burger, but it was overcooked….

Old 01-08-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
If you come here, and ***** about the pizza and bagels, then sounding smarter than you actually are is damning with faint praise.

Seriously. The reason we don't have good pizza and bagels here? Because we don't care. Only you care.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who cares about pizza. Thanks though, brah.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo43 View Post
As far as BBQ goes I am from Kansas City (which has great BBQ) and ate at SaltLick last week while visiting. Great BBQ and as good as anywhere (or better). Out in the boonies though. Live in Florida now and BBQ stinks here. Just saying....Was staying in a hotel next to Lakeline mall and picked up a Pizza one night also. Pizza was outstanding, but can't remember the name of the damn place! Just look deeper. I have had Pizza in NY, Italy, Chicago, etc and this Pizza was up there with them.
Thanks! I'll have to do a search for pizza places next to lakeline mall!

Old 01-08-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
For the OP - I have to admit your post is irritating. You want information. But you start by complaining. You didn't say where you ate that disappointed you. Lots of people complain about pizza in Austin - but most often from people in the Northeast. What is good pizza to you?

As for good restaurants and Yelp..... Yelp reviews have to be put in context. It is crazy that some hamburger places can get 5 stars while some fantastic creative places get less. But it is probably all about expectations. Some of the inventive places are really best suited for adventurous eaters with a big budget. You need to READ the reviews to get the context - don't rely just on the ratings.

Austin is full of great restaurants. Some recent ones I tried and want to go again include Sway and the Salty Sow. Interesting food, a unique atmosphere, and not too expensive.

My taste in pizza is wide ranging. I love the huge thin slices at Brooklyn Pie Co. I also like Tony C's coal fired pizza. And I smile when I eat a piece of thick crust Conans - which reminds of the old days in Austin.
I listed some of the pizza places I have been. They were all horrible. I prefer chicago/midwest style pizza, however, enjoy ny style too. I prefer ny after a night of drinking hands down.

Every food truck that I have been to I have enjoyed. No complaints. Have been to franklins bbq. Waited 3 hours, and didn't see what the talk was about. Yeah the brisket was good, so what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin