Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 07:13 PM

29 posts, read 76,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
What does an analyst for the DoD do exactly? What skill set do you have from that work?
As an analyst, the way I explain it I guess.... Information research and analyst really. I take several different sources of information, and try to put a picture together. There is lots of information to sift through, and determining what this information means, and how it might apply to different situations is really what that means. However, that aside, I did pick up several other skills. Project management, computer skills (ArcGIS mapping, some ACCESS, EXCEL), Imagery analysis...That is a general answer I guess. I would be happy to give more details..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 07:18 PM

29 posts, read 76,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbutterfly7 View Post
My recommendation is that you start networking, contact the local Texas Worksource Center , the main location on Airport Blvd will be able to connect you with some great sources. You may also consider volunteering somewhere for a special project either with a non-profit community partner , you will meet others who may have connections with direct contacts. You should also consider going with more than just one firm to assit you. Your background sounds very stable and you have a variety of skills that are considered to be transferable. Just think outside of the box and do not limit yourself.
Yeah I have talked to Texas Worksource Center, and first I got no help. I knew how to use their search tools better than the person I spoke to. The second person I spoke with seemed more inspiring, but had to go out of town for a couple of weeks and haven't heard from him...trying to get back in touch....and that person also told me what I have learned. Austin is pretty incestuous (sp). The third person, was about the same as the first, but they did know more about how to search. I guess what I am looking for is a different way to look for a job/career in Austin. I seem to have done everything I know to do (apply, network....but I will continue, and keep searching). I agree thinking out of the box would be nice, just trying to find the hole to look out first.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:08 AM

45 posts, read 173,325 times
I have heard that Homeland Security is opening a branch here in Austin, maybe you could find a job with them and branch out from there.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:29 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,615,243 times
check out WorkInTexas.com Home: Helping Texans Work Better.

BTW - I PM'd ya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: