Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 11:25 PM

5 posts, read 27,693 times

Advertisements

I'm a native Oklahoman (from the Tulsa area) but I have been living in Louisiana for almost four years - first in Baton Rouge , then in New Orleans.

My wife and I loved NOLA at first. The food is wonderful , the nightlife is beyond amazing , the architecture is beautiful , and the outright uniqueness of this place can not be matched by any other American city I have ever seen.

However , we recently had a child and have become very concerned about his safety . Crime in New Orleans is bad. Really bad. We live in the Ninth Ward (Poland and St. Claude area for those familiar with NOLA) and while this area is gentrifying , it is not happening quickly enough for us to consider staying . There are shootings here almost every day and even if we could afford to live in a "decent" part of NOLA , this city is such a checkerboard of crime that we would still be just a few blocks away from VERY bad neighborhoods. Also , the local schools here are terrible. My son is a few years away from school age , but we are looking for somewhere to live permanently - and NOLA is no place to raise a child.

Going back to Tulsa was not an option , since my family has since moved and retired in Florida. We chose Austin because it is closer to my wife's family and I have heard that it has a fairly low crime rate (correct me if I am wrong) when compared to other cities of it's size. We want to live in a city that has a lot of things to do as far as nightlife , restaurants , and culture - but with as little crime as possible.

I've visited Austin twice , but over 15 years ago , and I was never familiar with the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 12:49 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,294 times
What's your budget? The cost of living in Austin can be expensive.

As far as safety? your correct, Austin does have low violent crime rate but does have pockets of high property crime.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:19 PM

5 posts, read 27,693 times
Yes , I've heard that it is expensive . My wife has a professional job here in NOLA and makes around 45 a year . I , however , work in the service industry and rely on a decent hourly pay plus tips , which are pretty good in the area of town where I work (Irish Channel) . She has been offered a job in Austin that pays about the same as she is making here, but I will have to wait until we move before I can begin looking for a job. My pay fluctuates depending on the season but I generally make around 22-24 dollars an hour after wages and tips - and up to 30 an hour during special events like Mardi Gras , Jazz Fest , Voodoo , etc. I don't think I will find a service industry job that pays as well in Austin. We do have my wife's family ,who live in Leander, to help us until we can get on our feet.

As far as high property crime , I'm not too concerned about that after living in a place where I am afraid to walk around at night in my own neighborhood.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:23 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
You can pull 45-60 a year in the service industry.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:39 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,294 times
That's great to hear. I'm glad you have people in the Austin area that are willing to help you and your wife out. I will say this Austin does have lots, and lots of jobs from techs to government but it can be very difficult to land one, even if it's not a job that you prefer as your in competition with 100 or more people that move to Austin daily. I'm not sure what they pay for special events here, but I'm sure that they will be needing people for events that are coming up like SXSW, & The X Games. Of course those are only temporary.

Best of luck.

Last edited by JoninATX; 01-18-2014 at 11:01 PM..

Old 01-19-2014, 10:38 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
The families I know from NOLA who were pushed out either by the crime or storm moved to Mandeville. On my visit to "downtown" Mandeville and Covington, I thought they were nice places.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:04 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
I would second the idea to try the Northshore of NOLA first.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:46 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
See Crime in Austin Welcome to Austin Info Thread...

Old 01-19-2014, 01:02 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,954,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuadramses View Post
I'm a native Oklahoman (from the Tulsa area) but I have been living in Louisiana for almost four years - first in Baton Rouge , then in New Orleans.

My wife and I loved NOLA at first. The food is wonderful , the nightlife is beyond amazing , the architecture is beautiful , and the outright uniqueness of this place can not be matched by any other American city I have ever seen.

However , we recently had a child and have become very concerned about his safety . Crime in New Orleans is bad. Really bad. We live in the Ninth Ward (Poland and St. Claude area for those familiar with NOLA) and while this area is gentrifying , it is not happening quickly enough for us to consider staying . There are shootings here almost every day and even if we could afford to live in a "decent" part of NOLA , this city is such a checkerboard of crime that we would still be just a few blocks away from VERY bad neighborhoods. Also , the local schools here are terrible. My son is a few years away from school age , but we are looking for somewhere to live permanently - and NOLA is no place to raise a child.

Going back to Tulsa was not an option , since my family has since moved and retired in Florida. We chose Austin because it is closer to my wife's family and I have heard that it has a fairly low crime rate (correct me if I am wrong) when compared to other cities of it's size. We want to live in a city that has a lot of things to do as far as nightlife , restaurants , and culture - but with as little crime as possible.

I've visited Austin twice , but over 15 years ago , and I was never familiar with the city.
The good news is the violent crime rate is much lower in Austin and many of the schools are much better. The bad news is the cost of living is much higher. If you're struggling to make ends meet with your family of three at your current income level and there's not a lot of income growth potential for you in Austin, it's going to be a bigger struggle here.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:12 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuadramses View Post

austin does have a low violent crime rate, but our property crime is higher than average. Mostly because of the area around campus. The better schools are towards the suburbs.

Our worst areas are not violent at all. Getting a job here might be hard though. Our schools are very good with many areas to select from: eanes district (expensive!), cedar park, leander, RRISD and pockets of austin ISD are all good.

a restaurant job shouldnt be too hard to get and you should be able to make your target $. We get festivals like SXSW and ACL etc that bring people in like mardi gras. Soon we will have X games, there is formula 1 as well but so far downtown is dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin