Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 09:23 AM

13 posts, read 31,246 times

Advertisements

Hi.. My wife and I would ideally like to live close to the city, but not in all the traffic. Here is what we are looking for:

- a property with a max of about $250k
- some elbow room (maybe up to 1/2 acre lot)
- we DO NOT MIND driving into Austin from 15 to 20 minutes outside the city in any direction
- somewhere family friendly
- a community that is not isolated, but not in the hustle-bustle of the city

Coming from the west coast, where lot sizes can be 0.2 acres, and smaller, we really want some space on the next place we live. It does not matter where around Austin this will be, as the quality of the place is higher importance than the traffic at this point in our lives. Can you help us with some suggestions? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 10:00 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
It's possible - the hardest part is going to be the 15 to 20 minutes. But a quick MLS search using the basic criteria you gave turns up houses currently for sale in Hutto, Manchaca, Pflugerville, Buda, Manor, Spicewood, and a couple of other communities for $250,000 or less with from 1/2 to 2-1/2 acres. Now, most of these are not going to be 15-20 minutes from downtown Austin - that's not going to happen. But you can find something that far from Austin in any direction, it looks like. This is a search for a basic 3-2 with no other requirements than price and doing a circle map search. Spicewood would probably be the most isolated of these.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:21 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,325,753 times
Most of the new developments in that price range in the 'burbs around Austin seem to consist of 6,000 sq.ft. lots, some smaller, some larger. A few of the older neighborhoods closer in can have large 1/2 acre lots, but that will probably double the asking price, as a guess.
THL is spot on about the travel time.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:34 AM

847 posts, read 766,412 times
By the City I assume you mean the City Center (Downtown Austin).

if so no 15-20 minutes is not likely to get a sizable lot with 250K.

now by 15-20 minutes I assumed you meant rush-hour traffic.

if so you should look into southwest austin still that still have some undeveloped room.

That Brings SouthWest Parkway, Part of OakHill. also Slaughter lane from Brodie Lane to Manchaca There are some large lots of available.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:48 PM

249 posts, read 491,979 times
Just east of Del Valle on 71 may be a place to look (Garfield/Wyldwood), though if you go just over the county line to Bastrop Co. your taxes should be rather lower.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:10 PM

215 posts, read 350,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
Just east of Del Valle on 71 may be a place to look (Garfield/Wyldwood), though if you go just over the county line to Bastrop Co. your taxes should be rather lower.
Taxes are not any less expensive in Bastrop Co.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:28 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
Pflugerville. However, if your definition of "Austin" is downtown, it will take 40-45 minutes. If your definition of Austin is merely the Austin city limits and North Austin, then all of the suburban cities aren't very far at all.

I don't really go into Austin all that much and if I do, I am in North Austin (Lakeline) area.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:44 PM

597 posts, read 1,316,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Pflugerville. However, if your definition of "Austin" is downtown, it will take 40-45 minutes. If your definition of Austin is merely the Austin city limits and North Austin, then all of the suburban cities aren't very far at all.

I don't really go into Austin all that much and if I do, I am in North Austin (Lakeline) area.
Forty-five minutes under optimal conditions. The window for optimal conditions is getting smaller and smaller these days. I've seen I35 be a parking lot at 3:30 p.m. You have enough cash you can get a nice place but you will have to commute and be ready to buy almost sight unseen. There appears to be little room to negotiate here anymore.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:49 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfresca View Post
Forty-five minutes under optimal conditions. The window for optimal conditions is getting smaller and smaller these days. I've seen I35 be a parking lot at 3:30 p.m. You have enough cash you can get a nice place but you will have to commute and be ready to buy almost sight unseen. There appears to be little room to negotiate here anymore.
If you take 685/Cameron Rd., it is still about 45 minutes, give or take. Traffic has increased but this route still is relatively painless, barring wrecks, of course.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:09 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,119,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb44 View Post
Hi.. My wife and I would ideally like to live close to the city, but not in all the traffic. Here is what we are looking for:

- a property with a max of about $250k
- some elbow room (maybe up to 1/2 acre lot)
- we DO NOT MIND driving into Austin from 15 to 20 minutes outside the city in any direction
- somewhere family friendly
- a community that is not isolated, but not in the hustle-bustle of the city

Coming from the west coast, where lot sizes can be 0.2 acres, and smaller, we really want some space on the next place we live. It does not matter where around Austin this will be, as the quality of the place is higher importance than the traffic at this point in our lives. Can you help us with some suggestions? Thanks
if you go east/southeast of austin then definitely.

There are always 10-20 acre ranchettes for 150k (no house). not too long ago (maybe 6-7 years i think) I bought 20 acres 6 miles from downtown for 100K.

I still watch from time to time and see deals pop up. Right now there isnt much, but there are maybe 6-7 properties in del valle and decker lake that are roughly 12 miles from downtown in the 3-4 acre range with a house for under 250. Use redfin.com to find properties using a map. Then use google maps to see the drive time to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin