Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 07:39 PM

47 posts, read 93,944 times

Advertisements

Hi friends,
Before posting yet another question I just wanted to thank everyone on this board for being so generous with their knowledge of Austin. I am planning to move here later this year and this board has become an invaluable resource. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your help.

I posted another thread about commuting from south Austin to the suburbs, since most of the jobs I've been applying to/interviewing for are in Cedar Park and Round Rock (not much luck finding any downtown, unfortunately). I was originally interested in Bouldin and South Congress but it turns out the commute would be absolutely killer. However, I'm really not interested in living in Cedar Park or Round Rock because I'm a young, single professional and I've read that those areas are more geared towards families. I'm also a creative type and really looking for neighborhoods with character and some eclectic Austin flair. I love small businesses, funky stores, cute cafes and coffee shops, fun little dive bars, etc. and would be thrilled to find a neighborhood that had some of these as well as a sizeable population of 20-somethings (since I know virtually no one in Texas and think it would be harder to meet people if all my neighbors were families with children).

I was advised on another thread to check out Austin locations north of the river, since that would be easier commuting wise. I eventually stumbled upon (the?) North Loop in an article about good neighborhoods for young professionals in Austin. I was wondering if anyone could comment on the commute from North Loop to Cedar Park/Round Rock and if it would be as tedious as the hour drive from south Austin. I also read that North Loop is kind of artsy so if anyone can provide more information on this place I would be greatly appreciative.

Sorry to post so many questions but I'm just trying to find out as much information as possible before moving. (Yes, I'm also planning to visit). Thanks so much for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 07:45 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,492 times
Smooth, easy in the morning. Under 25-30 minutes at most. You will have to drive though.

Afternoons might get 5 minutes longer.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:04 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,504 times
Easy peasy. Several options to get back and forth. Be aware that there is a portion of the neighborhood that is dominated by "duplexes" that are in reality student dorms--you wouldn't want to be anywhere near there.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:51 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
It will be manageable but we are all assuming that you will be driving your own car. Public transport is not an option except for small areas near Lakeline mall.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:46 AM

Thanks so much for the info. Glad to hear there may be some options a little further north while still remaining in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Be aware that there is a portion of the neighborhood that is dominated by "duplexes" that are in reality student dorms--you wouldn't want to be anywhere near there.
Is North Loop a predominately student neighborhood? It was recommended in an article I read for best neighborhoods for young professionals but if there are going to be frat parties next door I might want to research some alternatives. :P

Old 01-19-2014, 11:02 AM

213 posts, read 301,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppets View Post
Thanks so much for the info. Glad to hear there may be some options a little further north while still remaining in the city.

Is North Loop a predominately student neighborhood? It was recommended in an article I read for best neighborhoods for young professionals but if there are going to be frat parties next door I might want to research some alternatives. :P
Austin is a young city. Anywhere on a Friday or Saturday night you may be able to hear parties in the distance. North loop is no different but it is more young professionals than frat parties. West campus is frat parties. North loop and Hyde park will have more professors, grad students, and working folks with kids. Its got some Austin charm...

Old 01-19-2014, 11:16 AM

Thank you! I certainly don't have a problem with parties, I just meant I didn't want to be surrounded by student dorms on all sides.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:19 AM

213 posts, read 301,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppets View Post
Thank you! I certainly don't have a problem with parties, I just meant I didn't want to be surrounded by student dorms on all sides.
https://www.airbnb.com/locations/austin/north-loop

that may help you. It's a cool guide... Cheers!

Old 01-19-2014, 11:23 AM

This is fantastic, thank you so much!

Old 01-19-2014, 12:17 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,203 times
Are you still talking about not having a car for this commute? It's a fairly easy commute by car, but not by public transit/bike etc. While it cuts down on the number of miles a bit compared to the Bouldin area you previously considered, there is simply no way to make a daily commute to CP/RR from North Loop or any of the central Austin areas --- unless you'd be working in a very narrow area around Lakeline. You're going to have to bite the bullet in one way or another: buy a car or live in the burbs near your job.

The North Loop student population decreases the further west you go, particularly once you move west of Lamar. Also, understand that a lot of the rentals in the North Loop area are older, not updated and some may not be particularly well maintained. This may be just your type of funky, but it isn't for some people.

And speaking of getting a job, I notice you're in Canada. Are you a US citizen or otherwise already authorized to work in the US (eg: won the DV lottery)?

Last edited by A-Tex; 01-19-2014 at 12:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin