Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 06:54 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times

Advertisements

I know there was a thread along these lines recently, but I couldn't find it. Sorry if I am repeating.

I just put an ad in Craig's list for free moving boxes. I got a couple of responses, so I closed the ad. The first one, when I contacted her by phone, said she would come get them that afternoon at 3:00. No show. I called her at 4:00 - so sorry, someone else made her late, "maybe I should have called..." So we rescheduled for that same evening at 7:00. No show. OK, I'm done with her.

So the next morning, I called the back-up person, the second person who responded to the ad. Made arrangements for her to pick them up. No show. I left a message at her phone ... no call back.

What is wrong with people? I know this is a free item and maybe they feel they can flake out on someone they don't know, but why is that? People just don't care enough about other people to be responsible and considerate.

I have also had numerous experiences with landscapers and other trades people who likewise don't show up at the appointed time, people who do show up to do an estimate, but then they never send the estimate (wasn't that a waste of their time, too?)

Maybe I'm remembering poorly, but I don't remember this kind of behavior being so pervasive in other places I have lived.

I guess I need to just recycle the boxes - less aggravation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 07:07 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I know there was a thread along these lines recently, but I couldn't find it. Sorry if I am repeating.

I just put an ad in Craig's list for free moving boxes. I got a couple of responses, so I closed the ad. The first one, when I contacted her by phone, said she would come get them that afternoon at 3:00. No show. I called her at 4:00 - so sorry, someone else made her late, "maybe I should have called..." So we rescheduled for that same evening at 7:00. No show. OK, I'm done with her.

So the next morning, I called the back-up person, the second person who responded to the ad. Made arrangements for her to pick them up. No show. I left a message at her phone ... no call back.

What is wrong with people? I know this is a free item and maybe they feel they can flake out on someone they don't know, but why is that? People just don't care enough about other people to be responsible and considerate.

I have also had numerous experiences with landscapers and other trades people who likewise don't show up at the appointed time, people who do show up to do an estimate, but then they never send the estimate (wasn't that a waste of their time, too?)

Maybe I'm remembering poorly, but I don't remember this kind of behavior being so pervasive in other places I have lived.

I guess I need to just recycle the boxes - less aggravation.
You know, I buy/sell a lot on CL and have since it's early days in the mid to late 90s while living in SF. But in the last two and half years, buyers have been shockingly flakey (and sometimes shady) that I've given up on selling unless particularly high-ticket items that are eBay-prohibitive. SAME experiences you describe. That said, I never associated it with Austin, it just never occurred to me that it might be city-specific.

But looking back, I sold just as much in Denver and didn't have many issues at all. It could be the place or it could be the extra years to cast a winder net full of flakes... or it could be both.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:24 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
I quit using craigslist for free items - way too much flakiness. Try Freecycle. I've had much better luck there.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:58 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,735,213 times
I've noticed the same thing and I think it is more prevalent here. Handymen and tradespeople unfortunately are in the same category. What they don't realize at first is that they do not get a second chance after a no show/no call. I have NEVER not shown up for work and did not at least call or email IN ADVANCE so why should I expect any less from people working for me? I have heard the excuse that "I was too busy to call" but that just means they have overcommitted themselves - not my problem.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:04 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
i havent noticed things worse than before. People in general are flaky

Old 01-23-2014, 07:22 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
I guess I have been lucky - I don't know how many contractors/repairmen/etc I have hired over the past 25+ years, but have never had a 'no-show' that I can recall, and other than an occasional late arrival (which is generally preceded by a warning call that they were running late), I haven't had any issues at all. I have dealt with both 'small' outfits (i.e. individuals) for AC, plumbing, and handyman tasks as well as with 'big' outfits (ABC Pest, Christianson AC/plumbing, Home Depot, AT&T, DishTV, Advance Landscape come to mind off-hand). The two that have been most irregular have been the ones that come out on a schedule - the individual that does our lawn slides a day or two sometimes, but usually because of the weather and I couldn't care less. The lady that cleans our house probably can't come on the scheduled day probably about 1/4 of the time, but she always lets us know if possible - sick kids, etc., sometimes make notice difficult, but otherwise we get warning.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:01 AM

979 posts, read 2,955,108 times
Craig's List = Flakey

Old 01-23-2014, 08:12 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,398,741 times
CL is flaky because its anonymous. And the more people use the internet for transactions, the more accustomed they become to not following old-fashioned face to face expectations.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:01 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
I'd be surprised if the free stuff section of craigslist wasn't flakey.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:12 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post

I have also had numerous experiences with landscapers and other trades people who likewise don't show up at the appointed time, people who do show up to do an estimate, but then they never send the estimate (wasn't that a waste of their time, too?).......
Believe me, this sort of behavior is all too common---all over, and not just Austin.

If someone does that, and I have another choice, they are GONE and I won't ever call them again for anything.

People in general are inconsiderate--and just simply don't care. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: