Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:16 AM

10 posts, read 15,551 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! Am hoping you good folks can help-

Searched the forum for information on the Comanche Trail neighborhood but am struggling to find information...

My family and I are relocating to the great city of Austin from the great city of New York this summer. While I am a native New Yorker my husband is a native Austinite and so we are very excited to return to the city where we first met and married!

It's been many years since hubby's been back so I'm sure much has changed. We have fallen in love with a home in the comanche trail neighborhood, but I'd like to know firstly any pros or cons about the area, and secondly about which school district we'd be zoned for? I have a 3 year old that will be of pre-k age come next fall and a 1st grader who will be joining the 2nd grade in the fall as well. Any insights you can give me on the school district and elementary schools we'd be zoned for would be fantastic. We plan to put down roots so even info on middle and high school would be great!

Regarding the Comanche Trail neighborhood...what is the community like? The vibe? Life and lifestyle, things to do, etc? What about Traffic and commute to downtown Austin? What're the "stereotypes" if any about the place?

Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 10:40 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Comanche Trail has a lot more traffic on it now that the Oasis has expanded. I've noticed several huge new homes built out there on prime lake view lots. I'm sure it is still a good place to live, as long as you don't have to commute all the way into Austin every day for work. Traffic on 620 is pretty bad, heavy. There are more restaurants along 620 and around the lake, although many have closed because of the drought. Water levels in the lake are pretty low, we are going on a 3 year drought. Most boat ramps are closed because the water level is out way past the end of the ramps. If you have a boat in a marina there is still plenty of water for boating and the lake is more peaceful since its not so busy.

I don't know much about the schools out there.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Comanche Trail has a lot more traffic on it now that the Oasis has expanded. I've noticed several huge new homes built out there on prime lake view lots. I'm sure it is still a good place to live, as long as you don't have to commute all the way into Austin every day for work. Traffic on 620 is pretty bad, heavy. There are more restaurants along 620 and around the lake, although many have closed because of the drought. Water levels in the lake are pretty low, we are going on a 3 year drought. Most boat ramps are closed because the water level is out way past the end of the ramps. If you have a boat in a marina there is still plenty of water for boating and the lake is more peaceful since its not so busy.

Thanks so much! Does the traffic go well into the residential areas? Is it disruptive/ dangerous to kids playing outside, etc?

We def wouldn't be going into Austin everyday, so the hassle of a longer daily commute is not such a big burden...do you know anything about the residents? Demographics? The neighborhood lifestyle, things to do? Would we die of boredom living out there ( although waterfront living is absolutely glorious and def nothing to sneeze at!)

Old 01-24-2014, 11:21 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
The area is either Lake Travis Isd or Leander ISD both great school districts.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
The area is either Lake Travis Isd or Leander ISD both great school districts.
Thanks! I believe we do fall into the Leander ISD....I think we are zoned for grand view for elementary and four points for middle school....any feedback on these? The good, the bad, the ugly?

Old 01-25-2014, 03:05 AM

Just giving the post a bump to see if there are any grandview elementary and four points middle school parents on here? Any insights on these two? Ideas about bus routes and commute time from comanche trail to each?

Am flying into austin next weekend and hoping to check out properties and make final decisions...schools and neighborhood lifestyle/things to do will play a huge factor so any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-25-2014, 11:13 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean246 View Post
Thanks so much! Does the traffic go well into the residential areas? Is it disruptive/ dangerous to kids playing outside, etc?

We def wouldn't be going into Austin everyday, so the hassle of a longer daily commute is not such a big burden...do you know anything about the residents? Demographics? The neighborhood lifestyle, things to do? Would we die of boredom living out there ( although waterfront living is absolutely glorious and def nothing to sneeze at!)
If the kids are playing in your yard there should be no problem, but most of the roads in the area are winding hill country roads, with no sidewalks. I would not recommend you allow any children to ride bicycles along those roads. This is more like country living than a residential subdivision. Most of the subdivisions I looked at closely had no, or few, sidewalks in front of the houses or along the streets. Take a look at the routes into where you live in google maps satellite view, it even shows numerous photographs of the area and "street view" allows you to see the drive in and out from an automobile perspective.

No reason to die of boredom out there, even though it is more of a country living lifestyle than metropolitan, there are numerous restaurants with bars and several with live music, as well as all of the outdoor recreational opportunities. Including a legal nude beach not far from your area at the Travis County Park, Hippie Hollow, https://parks.traviscountytx.gov/fin.../hippie-hollow

Lake Travis Area Live Music Restaurants | Urbanspoon

Bee Cave Live Music Restaurants | Urbanspoon

And you can always drive into Austin for everything that it offers. Traffic is not so bad in the evenings.

Property out there is pretty expensive so the demographics will reflect that. You can look up the demographics for Austin here http://www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

And for any zip code in Austin here http://www.city-data.com/zipmaps/Austin-Texas.html

I'm not sure if your zip code would be 78732 or 78726.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
If the kids are playing in your yard there should be no problem, but most of the roads in the area are winding hill country roads, with no sidewalks. I would not recommend you allow any children to ride bicycles along those roads. This is more like country living than a residential subdivision. Most of the subdivisions I looked at closely had no, or few, sidewalks in front of the houses or along the streets. Take a look at the routes into where you live in google maps satellite view, it even shows numerous photographs of the area and "street view" allows you to see the drive in and out from an automobile perspective.

No reason to die of boredom out there, even though it is more of a country living lifestyle than metropolitan, there are numerous restaurants with bars and several with live music, as well as all of the outdoor recreational opportunities. Including a legal nude beach not far from your area at the Travis County Park, Hippie Hollow, https://parks.traviscountytx.gov/fin.../hippie-hollow

Lake Travis Area Live Music Restaurants | Urbanspoon

Bee Cave Live Music Restaurants | Urbanspoon

And you can always drive into Austin for everything that it offers. Traffic is not so bad in the evenings.

Property out there is pretty expensive so the demographics will reflect that. You can look up the demographics for Austin here http://www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

And for any zip code in Austin here http://www.city-data.com/zipmaps/Austin-Texas.html

I'm not sure if your zip code would be 78732 or 78726.
Thanks again CptnRn- very helpful. The properties we've been looking at are in 78732. I will definitely look into the sites you've recommended.

A bit nervous about the whole move, especially with 2 small children. We are currently living abroad so out visit next week is our only chance to sort things out before our move in June.

Hoping someone can give us some feedback on Grandview and Four Points MS from a parents perspective, but we will go check out the schools in the area ourselves when we are in town...regardless, it's always great to get insider scoop.

Thanks again for the help! Country living Just outside city limits sounds absolutely wonderful!

Old 01-25-2014, 08:54 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
So don't buy, and just rent first.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
So don't buy, and just rent first.
we'll be in town for 3 weeks so plenty of time to look around.

it's not like we've never been to Austin before-- my husband is from Austin, and we both studied there.

We are looking to buy, not rent.

any info on the 2 schools i mentioned would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin