Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 08:09 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtodd3 View Post
I think if we end up going downtown for a nightout we'll end up just staying in a hotel. 50 minutes on a metro seems hard work when you're going out.

Does no one have any opinions on Rocky Creek, Highpointe and Reunion Ranch?

Do before you have kids! Hiring a babysitter for overnight get extremely pricey (or just impossible). Good luck.

For me, Austin falls away past the intersection of 183/360, those big master-planned communities are all just myth to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 08:52 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
There are options for dining that are a shortish drive from Crystal Falls (short by Texas standards, anyway - but I've been known to drive to Houston and back for a day of lunch and shopping). Georgetown has The Hollow, Ruby K's, Wildfire, Gumbos, Monument Cafe (with the Monument Market right behind it), and more. Round Rock has Jack Allen's Kitchen, French Quarter Grille, and others. As someone said, Dahlia Cafe in Liberty Hill is absolutely worth a visit (though not so much for breakfast - dinner, though, and lunch have been wonderful on my visits).

Old 01-31-2014, 09:31 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,982 times
To be honest at a price point of $500k, I'd buy in central Austin and call it a day!

I'd hate for you to move to the suburbs only to move into the central city because you feel so disconnected. I noticed your earlier post about trying to grow up. However, one of the first things you learn being an adult is who you are, but I think most important, who you are not.

I believe you are struggling to reconcile this move. You can have a perfectly good custom or resale home in central for $500k with more than enough room for the kids. You are no good as a spouse or a parent if you are dying spiritually in a suburban wasteland. Your spouse should have known who they were marrying. So, with that said, I'd only have price as a qualification and find a home that works for you - and your family!

Old 01-31-2014, 09:40 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,954,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
But yes, both of the schools mentioned above are definitely on the mediocre side.
That's mighty charitable of you.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:11 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
That's mighty charitable of you.
I've seen some schools that would make those look like a land of opportunity.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:14 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,222,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
There are options for dining that are a shortish drive from Crystal Falls (short by Texas standards, anyway - but I've been known to drive to Houston and back for a day of lunch and shopping). Georgetown has The Hollow, Ruby K's, Wildfire, Gumbos, Monument Cafe (with the Monument Market right behind it), and more. Round Rock has Jack Allen's Kitchen, French Quarter Grille, and others. As someone said, Dahlia Cafe in Liberty Hill is absolutely worth a visit (though not so much for breakfast - dinner, though, and lunch have been wonderful on my visits).
Ohhhh thanks for the restaurant links the Monument Café just moved up our list, we love to go out for breakfast!

I've only been to Dahlias for breakfast once and we enjoyed it moreso than most of the breakfast places we have tried in the area. We have been for dinner twice and I agree that their dinner is outstanding, reasonably priced good old fashioned comfort food.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:47 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Regarding the schools, Pillow ES is exemplary and has been for a long long time. And at the moment anyway, AISD's transfer policy is very liberal, I know several families who got great, fully re-done houses with big yards in Allandale Estates for well under the OP's price point, they have transferred their kids in Lamar for MS, now a highly desirable school, and then they expect to use AISDs magnet or Academy options for high school.

If you are in AISD, you have a lot of options besides whatever school you are tracked to.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:51 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
None of this central chatter addresses the OP's request in his second post:

"Moving from San Diego we really want to live somewhere a bit hilly"

Old 02-01-2014, 02:06 PM

32 posts, read 46,975 times
I think I may have misrepresented my feelings about the move. I fine with the fact that our lives will completely change when we have children and are very excited at the thought of buying a new home in Austin. Every person I grew up has traded in nightclubs for golf.

Downtown Austin is no cheaper than San Diego downtown. The housing 15 miles out is not much cheaper than it is 15 miles in from the San Diego coast. Austin appeals because we can get a that we've always dreamed of if we accept that we won't be surrounded by bars and restaurants. If we can't get that house then we really need to question whether leaving San Diego is the best idea.

We definitely wouldn't be happy living in an unsocial community but from what I have read on here there are lots of new communities where the people are extremely friendly and there are lots of things to do. I already had concerns about whether Crystal Falls could offer that before I started this thread and certainly do now. The people that love it seem to have older children whereas we'd just be starting a family.

I really do appreciate all of the feed back. It's left we with so much to think about.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:24 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,222,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtodd3 View Post
I think I may have misrepresented my feelings about the move. I fine with the fact that our lives will completely change when we have children and are very excited at the thought of buying a new home in Austin. Every person I grew up has traded in nightclubs for golf.

Downtown Austin is no cheaper than San Diego downtown. The housing 15 miles out is not much cheaper than it is 15 miles in from the San Diego coast. Austin appeals because we can get a that we've always dreamed of if we accept that we won't be surrounded by bars and restaurants. If we can't get that house then we really need to question whether leaving San Diego is the best idea.

We definitely wouldn't be happy living in an unsocial community but from what I have read on here there are lots of new communities where the people are extremely friendly and there are lots of things to do. I already had concerns about whether Crystal Falls could offer that before I started this thread and certainly do now. The people that love it seem to have older children whereas we'd just be starting a family.

I really do appreciate all of the feed back. It's left we with so much to think about.
The best advice I would give you is: You need to come see it, feel it and check it out for yourself. Since your budget is high and you seem to have a lot of options and flexibility, I'd rent something for a few months, get the lay of the land before you plop down some serious cash in an unknown geographical area.

When we first moved here, we were out in the hill country near where I work. We had never been and didn't have the time to scope things out, we just came. Thank Goodness we leased and did not buy. We spent our first year here looking around, getting a feel etc. We decided Leander/Cedar Park was our best fit and we have no regrets but you really do need to "feel" the area. We learned country living was not for us and at the same time we had no desire to be in the center of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin