Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:28 PM

32 posts, read 47,025 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are visiting Austin next week in the hope of deciding on an area to move to. We had never considered Leander until someone on this forum suggested we look into it.

We're going to be looking at some new builds in Crystal Falls and wanted to see as much of the area as we can while we're there.

Although we're moving from Downtown San Diego and love the city life we have accepted that we have to move to a quiet area in order to get a nice big house, with nice views and that is good for families.

We would, however, still like there to be a a major grocery store near by and the odd place to go out to eat. Are there any nice restaurants we could eat at when we visit or will we have to drive to Cedar Park or George Town? Also, are there any classy (somewhere that people may dress up) restaurants within 10-15 miles or will be need to go downtown Austin for that?

Finally, is Crystal falls just a housing estate or is it a community more like Lakeway and Rough Hollow?

Thanks you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 08:46 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
For a great burger go to Moonies on 183, great burgers..ask directions almost every knows it. Blue Corn across from Costco on 1431 is great. Ms. B's tacos on 183 is a very very good breakfast taco joint..no inside service at all..I think she put some stools outside. Almost every place in the austin area is c ery casual in dress, there are a few dressy places but none in the Leander area. If you have the time Dahlia Cafe in Liberty Hill is worth a visit. I have lots of friends in the Crystal Falls area and all seem to really like it. You might also want to look at Sarita Ranch in the area also. If you have any questions message me.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:57 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
Also new in and out burger place opening for ya CA folks next to the Costco on 1431

Old 01-30-2014, 09:00 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,280 times
Check out Avery Ranch too. Coming from DT Sandyeggo, Leander is going to feel like Tierrasanta.

What's the work location and budget.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:51 PM

32 posts, read 47,025 times
Thank you all for the responses.

I'll check out your suggestions neddy. I like Drees homes and know they build in Sarita Ranch. No one has suggested that area to me before. My wife and I are about the only people in the whole of California who don't understand the love for In and Out. I may be shot for saying I prefer MacDonald's.

We ruled Avery Ranch out RoadWarrior12. Moving from San Diego we really want to live somewhere a bit hilly. I hear Crystal Falls is in the middle of nowhere but we're interested because of the views and the builders. I've been told Avery Ranch is very flat.

I work from home and my wife will either work in the Domain or Downtown. I'm in IT so if I were to find myself out of a job I'd probably look in the northwest. Our other considerations are Rocky Creek, Highpointe and Reunion Ranch. Our budget is $500,000. We've been preparing ourselves for the suburbs by looking at poperties in Poway. Dragging myself from the downtown lifestyle has been a struggle I realized it was time to grow up. We can always fly to Vegas once a month with the money we save.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:31 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
If there are five restaurants in Austin where jackets are required, I'd be surprised. None are in Leander.

And the money you save will likely not go towards a Vegas vacation but to gas, tolls, and maintenance on your cars! Crystal Falls to Downtown is a hell of a haul. You could live closer in and buy a vacation place in the hill country!

Old 01-31-2014, 06:44 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
By your description, you sound pretty hesitant and unsure about a move to Leander. For 500K you could get a great place considerably closer in, in one of the most desirable places to buy in NW Austin, surrounded by all the amenities you are asking for. You'll just have to give up the new build.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:49 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,280 times
Plenty of spots in Avery that have elevation change. Pretty much everything along the creek.

That said, with that budget, I'd draw a line at 620 and not budge an inch north of that.

Take a long look at Jester (78750). Seriously, take Leander off your list.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:56 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Like the saying goes, Crystal Falls "isn't the end of the earth...but you might be able to see it from there" . Actually, it's more like CF is on the edge of the boonies; but if you drive south on Lakeline, you will have a hard time telling when you left Leander and arrived in Cedar Park. The large HEB grocery is just a few minutes away, depending on where in CF you are(CF isn't THAT big, but it gets a little twisty in some areas).

As much as I like Avery Ranch, it really is flat compared to CF...CF has some of the nicest vistas in this area. Avery has some areas that overlook Brushy Creek and west a bit, but not the "edge of the hill country" views and topography of Crystal Falls. I will say we have some very nice sunset views from our townhouse, but we're looking over the rooftops of dozens of homes to see it...I ain't complainin'

Plenty of restaurants along 183 and 1431, none that require more than jeans, shirt and shoes...quite a few independents as well as the multitude of chains will be represented.

Get your hands on a copy of Community Impact Newspaper for that area...it has plenty of the goings on listed...business openings/closings, restaurant news, school info, etc. You can view some on line; but a hard copy will provide more information and has some pretty nifty maps in each issue.

Good luck!

Old 01-31-2014, 07:33 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Idlewile - By your description, you sound pretty hesitant and unsure about a move to Leander. For 500K you could get a great place considerably closer in, in one of the most desirable places to buy in NW Austin, surrounded by all the amenities you are asking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Plenty of spots in Avery that have elevation change. Pretty much everything along the creek.

That said, with that budget, I'd draw a line at 620 and not budge an inch north of that. Take a long look at Jester (78750). Seriously, take Leander off your list.
Agreed. & maybe add Riverplace & Great Hills along with Jester
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin