Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 12:27 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times

Advertisements

Interesting article in Impact News:

Strong housing market revives affordability concerns - Community Impact Newspaper

Graphic: http://impactnews.com/downloads/2512...4-01-01-2m.jpg

The graphic shows SW Austin property value increases averaged 10.97% in the last year 2012-2013. It lists 11 different neighborhoods and shows the percentages increased in the last year versus 2009-2013, ranging from 9.16% to 17.54%.

Cost per SF ranging from $110 to $155/sf.

Encouraging if you want to sell soon but discouraging if you are retired and paying property taxes.

Quote:
Supply and demand

Historically, Southwest Austin homes have been in demand because of the area’s highly ranked schools, Sprague said.
Housing supply has been limited by the recession and environmental codes.
Most of Southwest Austin falls in the recharge or contributing zones of the Edwards Aquifer. The 1992 Save Our Springs Initiative limits the amount of impervious cover, or covered ground, that can be placed in those areas—thereby limiting density.
Austin’s population has continued to grow, and there was an insufficient supply of homes put into the pipeline during the recession, Sprague explained.
Housing supply citywide is still not meeting current demand or the pent-up demand of the past seven years, he added.
“This supply constraint could lead to a further escalation in home prices above and beyond normal trends until industry production returns to historic equilibrium,” he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 01:49 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
I don't live SW but central. As an indicator of demand, I've already received two handwritten letters from realtors asking if I am interested in selling as they have a client who is interested in our home. Sigh.

I usually get about 1-2 of these letters a year and often not personalized. Now I have gotten two in 5 weeks and both were personalized and handwritten.

Kinda makes me wish for 2008-09 when housing was so flat and our home even declined slightly in value. And yes, I was right there at TCAD pointing it out. Now, I can't even begin to argue values as homes on my block are selling for record asking prices within 24 hours.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:54 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,257 times
Saw that article when they delivered the paper. Great news for us, because DW and I have decided to move once we get to retirement age. Our house is too big. The combination maintenance time and cost, utilities, and taxes mean we can't stay. Our goal is to carry enough equity out to pay cash, and to do that, we need prices to stay up. I was telling her the other day that SOS, as bad a policy as it is, is our best friend, since it limits competition by limiting supply.

Thank, Bill Bunch!

Old 02-02-2014, 09:56 PM

180 posts, read 267,084 times
There's no bubble, haven't you heard?

Old 02-03-2014, 12:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip_Vanilla View Post
It's supply and demand, haven't you heard?

Old 02-03-2014, 12:43 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip_Vanilla View Post
Since you don't really know anything about Austin RE, or breakfast tacos, I'd recommend sticking to breakfast tacos for commentary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: