Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:02 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
More than anything else, I think the lack of response equipment (sand, salt, etc) is what makes it not a good idea to go out, even if it is just a little. We just don't get enough ice/snow days to warrant an investment in expensive equipment, at least not enough that it will allow the city to go about business as normal.

There is also the lack of personal infrastructure to handle the snow! I haven't owned an ice scraper since moving to Texas 20+ years ago. I don't keep extra wiper fluid around either. Most of my northern friends now have auto-start so their vehicles can warm up and defrost, I don't know anyone here who has that. My tires are rated for summer driving not winter, the slope of my driveway is designed for water run-off not backing out on ice.

Five people in my house and we have one really winter-worthy pair of gloves between us! No shoes for snow or ice either. And I wouldn't invest in any of it either, since most of the time, you just wait 3-4 hours and we are back to above freezing temps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 09:35 AM

5 posts, read 4,630 times
I just moved to Austin in the Summer this year and this is our first Winter. I have to say I was surprised when school was cancelled (several times now) for icy roads. Coming from San Diego it is totally out of my realm of thinking, but I did notice my friends from Minnesota and Chicago laughing at us. This forum has helped me understand a bit more. So ice is the issue, what is the solution?

Old 02-07-2014, 09:38 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
So ice is the issue, what is the solution?
a - stay home if it is icy
b - wait until next year, we likely won't have ice for several more years now.
c - home school .

Actually, solution to what, I guess? The 'ignore the cost' solution is to design roads w/o as many flyovers, buy millions of dollars worth of ice/snow equipment, and send people to practice on an ice rink somewhere. In reality, the current solution is quite cost effective - stay home a day or two every few years....

Old 02-07-2014, 09:52 AM

5 posts, read 4,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
a - stay home if it is icy
b - wait until next year, we likely won't have ice for several more years now.
c - home school .

Actually, solution to what, I guess? The 'ignore the cost' solution is to design roads w/o as many flyovers, buy millions of dollars worth of ice/snow equipment, and send people to practice on an ice rink somewhere. In reality, the current solution is quite cost effective - stay home a day or two every few years....
Thank you, I figured as much. I have heard this has been the coldest winter in awhile. Texas just decided to scare me with my first Winter

Old 02-07-2014, 12:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
The solution is to enjoy the day off inside as much as possible!

Old 02-07-2014, 01:02 PM

861 posts, read 1,147,714 times
I spent my first 35 years in Minnesota. When work was cancelled last week, I called a golf course to get a tee time. I was very disappointed to find out they were closed.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:09 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,489 times
In the case of today, it didn't even take any snow to cancel things. Crazy.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:12 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
In the case of today, it didn't even take any snow to cancel things. Crazy.
Nope, just had to be cold and cloudy to cancel school.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:20 PM

300 posts, read 414,197 times
School district leaders take " don't blame me" attitude to handle the school closing is unresponsible. The day like today should not call for school closing. It is joking.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:07 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom331 View Post
School district leaders take " don't blame me" attitude to handle the school closing is unresponsible.

The day like today should not call for school closing.

It is joking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: