Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 02:30 PM

170 posts, read 826,430 times

Advertisements

Hi C-D! It's been a while since I've been here (the site) to visit. I was addicted for about a year before moving to Austin and for at least a year after moving here. You guys have all been so helpful, and as I've settled in I haven't needed as much help from the locals.

Unfortunately, I need your help again. I experienced a new Austin experience last week. My home was broken into. People and pets are safe, and things can be replaced. I'm looking for your opinions on home security systems. I've got a security system, but I think I'd like a change.

Can you give me your thoughts/tips on companies? I'm looking for a reasonable price (I'm still a student so I can't buy the most extravagant system out there), quality and peace of mind. I already have the equipment installed so I'd like a company that can either work with the equipment I've got (Ranger American) or offers free installation. I believe all my doors are connected, not sure about windows. Not sure how window monitoring works or if it's necessary. I do like that some companies offer remote monitoring and even remote access to security cameras. I'd like a company that has an app that I can know what's going on even when I"m not home.

So far I'm liking FrontPoint which offers basic monitoring for $35/month, or all bells and whistles for $50/month including cameras and even wireless control of lighting etc.

So give me your thoughts! It seems there's a LOT of competition so there are tons of promotions out there. I don't want an equipment fee or an installation fee since almost all the companies I've found online waive those fees. But I also don't want to be locked into a contract for five or six years just to get a good deal (a year or two contract would be fine). I guess you guys probably have a good idea what I'm looking for.

Please, share your wisdom! Thanks C-D!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 03:59 PM

45 posts, read 132,312 times
While you work on getting a good home security system. you may want to get some security stickers and sign boards from sites like amazon.com and put them in strategic places. That will be a good deterrant irrespective of whether you really have a system or not. For windows, you can consider getting window security locks from Home depot, they are very cheap (around $2-3 per piece). If your windows are not pre-wired, it might be expensive to get all of them wired or putting wireless detectors for each one of them. An alternative would be a motion detector in a couple of main areas where entry is possible.

Search for ADT and home security in the forums, you will find a whole bunch of threads where you can find recommendations. Bigger players like ADT may not work for you if you are looking for them to use existing equipment or provide free installation (initial charge will be $200-250 or more and monthly charges are $35-40 if you have a landline and $45-50 without landline).

Other suggestions I came across include Sloan, Viviant, Smith Thomposon, Central Security Group etc (though i have no idea how good they are).

I would go for a company that provides centralized monitoring and does not enforce 2 or 3 year contract durations. And of course one that does the job within your budget. Keep in mind, you do need to maintain an annual alarm permit and that will be $30 additional.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:45 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
we use multiple layers

1) harden your doors and windows. 3" screws to screw the frame to the studs (they use tiny half inch screws by default so your door is really easy to kick in). There are kits on amazon where you can screw a 3 ft metal plate over the strike plate.

2) security window films to prevent your windows from being broken into

3) we use drop cams to video, but any camera can work

4) we have a dog
5) we have a security system (ADT)
6) we have a safe
7) We have guns

Old 02-05-2014, 05:02 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Welcome to Austin Info thread has links to several past discussion threads on this topic.

After reading this newspaper article about how wasteful it is of police resources to respond to false alarm calls, 9 times out of 10, a burglar alarm means no crime | www.mystatesman.com...

I have been thinking that I'd like to change my system over to one that called my cell phone first instead of an alarm monitoring company. Then I could choose to call 911 if I thought it necessary. I could save the $540/year I'm paying to ADT.

Most of the 8 or 9 times ours has gone off in the last 10 years it has been the result of my wife or I or a pet sitter accidentally activating it. The pet sitter had so much of a problem with it that we stopped activating it when we were traveling and the pet sitter was coming in. Which sort of defeats the purpose of even having an alarm system.

My wife likes having an alarm system because it will wake us up of someone enters the house at night. I am a heavy sleeper and my wife is on so much pain medication she is not easily woken up. So we get some benefit there.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:34 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickasarbata View Post
Hi C-D! It's been a while since I've been here (the site) to visit. I was addicted for about a year before moving to Austin and for at least a year after moving here. You guys have all been so helpful, and as I've settled in I haven't needed as much help from the locals.

Unfortunately, I need your help again. I experienced a new Austin experience last week. My home was broken into. People and pets are safe, and things can be replaced. I'm looking for your opinions on home security systems. I've got a security system, but I think I'd like a change.

Can you give me your thoughts/tips on companies? I'm looking for a reasonable price (I'm still a student so I can't buy the most extravagant system out there), quality and peace of mind. I already have the equipment installed so I'd like a company that can either work with the equipment I've got (Ranger American) or offers free installation. I believe all my doors are connected, not sure about windows. Not sure how window monitoring works or if it's necessary. I do like that some companies offer remote monitoring and even remote access to security cameras. I'd like a company that has an app that I can know what's going on even when I"m not home.

So far I'm liking FrontPoint which offers basic monitoring for $35/month, or all bells and whistles for $50/month including cameras and even wireless control of lighting etc.

So give me your thoughts! It seems there's a LOT of competition so there are tons of promotions out there. I don't want an equipment fee or an installation fee since almost all the companies I've found online waive those fees. But I also don't want to be locked into a contract for five or six years just to get a good deal (a year or two contract would be fine). I guess you guys probably have a good idea what I'm looking for.

Please, share your wisdom! Thanks C-D!
Hey nickasarbata, if you have pets running around you probably can't use motion detectors in most of the house unless you isolate the pets to one room when you are gone. And it becomes cost prohibitive to try and put a detector on every window in the house.

But you can still put alarm detectors on several closet and interior doors that are most likely to be opened by a burglar looking for stuff to steal. So even if they come in thru an un alarmed window, they are likely to trigger the alarm system.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:08 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Hey nickasarbata, if you have pets running around you probably can't use motion detectors in most of the house unless you isolate the pets to one room when you are gone. And it becomes cost prohibitive to try and put a detector on every window in the house.

But you can still put alarm detectors on several closet and interior doors that are most likely to be opened by a burglar looking for stuff to steal. So even if they come in thru an un alarmed window, they are likely to trigger the alarm system.
Couple of solutions. There are motion sensors that are "pet immune" based upon a selectable weight. This one is 33 or 55 lb, but there are others.

If you wire your exit doors with a sensor (bet you have that now, right?), and cover the big areas with a motion sensor, you should be good. The best way to protect against window entry is with a glass break sensor - they will cover a 15' radius - but is really more for peace of mind vs. a deterrent.

So, what to do? Start with what not to do - that is go with any of the big guys like ADT or Vivient. Long term contracts at $35+/ month are for the birds. You already have equipment, right? Do you know the brand?(very likely it is GE - might be DSC, Honeywell or 2Gig - doesn't matter). Then you very likely can use that equipment with a month to month company like these guys. They can give you whatever you want - including remote access apps through alarm.com. They can also talk you through adding sensors should you want to.

The money you save is pretty incredible.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:46 AM

193 posts, read 437,542 times
Sloan Security Systems (out of Buda, TX)

Old 02-06-2014, 08:18 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Flake View Post
Sloan Security Systems (out of Buda, TX)
I am switching from then to another provider. Little things like being overcharged for a replacement fob and new sensor (not matching the prices on their website and then saying the the website wasn't updated to show the new prices) and poor diagnostics did it for me.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:52 AM

29 posts, read 54,014 times
When we bought our house, it was already wired up with and ADT system. I called them to get a price to reactivate and they informed me that the system was out of date and needed replaced. I called up All Start Security, a local company, and was very impressed with their offering and price.

Since the house had every door and window already wired up, I just had them add a glass breakage sensor. I also switched to wireless communication back to the monitoring company, and had them add another control panel at our front door.

Overall happy with the company, with how much they charged and the installer was professional the whole time.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:07 PM

997 posts, read 1,311,537 times
I want to get some kind of system, just haven't had time to research. I had some $450 speakers lifted off my front step or they were mis-deliverd, still don't know. Luckily they were insured, but paying $30/month forever is not feasible. Would like something cloud based and motion activated. Do have a dog though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: