Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 12:43 PM

307 posts, read 721,504 times

Advertisements

This summer a large organization I am a part of is holding a convention in downtown Austin (of which I am a resident). I want to put together a little "welcome to Austin" letter for them. In regards to BBQ, I want to try and highlight great BBQ that would be within walking distance of downtown. Obviously there is Franklin's. But is there anything else that I should include?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 12:46 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollard View Post
This summer a large organization I am a part of is holding a convention in downtown Austin (of which I am a resident). I want to put together a little "welcome to Austin" letter for them. In regards to BBQ, I want to try and highlight great BBQ that would be within walking distance of downtown. Obviously there is Franklin's. But is there anything else that I should include?
Thanks!
Downtown?

La Barbecue. It's a little bit of a hike up South 1st Street from downtown, but there's generally not that much of a wait. It is on par with Franklin.

John Mueller on 6th at Pedernales. Again, it's a little bit of a hike, due east of downtown.

I prefer La Barbecue, tho. John Mueller's brisket has a thick hard crusty layer, which he seems to be proud of.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:20 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,373 times
In walking distance you have two real choices: Iron Works (which has stepped up its game considerably) and Lambert's (which is a bit upscale but good).

Edit: Note that I am NOT forgetting to mention Stubbs--it is quite intentional.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Downtown?

La Barbecue. It's a little bit of a hike up South 1st Street from downtown, but there's generally not that much of a wait. It is on par with Franklin.

John Mueller on 6th at Pedernales. Again, it's a little bit of a hike, due east of downtown.

I prefer La Barbecue, tho. John Mueller's brisket has a thick hard crusty layer, which he seems to be proud of.
Does La Barbecue or John Mueller sell-out on a daily basis (like Franklin's)?
thank you all for your input.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:50 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Jimmy Kimmel's itinerary from this past weekend seems pretty good... he was well advised:

Jimmy Kimmel feasts on barbecue in Austin over weekend | The Feed | www.austin360.com

Old 02-10-2014, 02:00 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,599 times
Quote:
Does La Barbecue or John Mueller sell-out on a daily basis (like Franklin's)?
thank you all for your input.
Yes.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:25 PM

so that I can inform these people properly, if you are inline by opening time at either La Barbecue or JM's, will you be served? Or is a Franklin's deal where you have show up by 9:30?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Downtown?

Old 02-10-2014, 02:44 PM

597 posts, read 1,317,062 times
LA BBQ doesn't have any of that BS problems with getting food. Mueller's a little less so but still nothing like Franklin's. While at Franklin's if they are there in the evening I'd recommend getting a pizza at Via 313

Old 02-10-2014, 02:55 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,599 times
Quote:
so that I can inform these people properly, if you are inline by opening time at either La Barbecue or JM's, will you be served? Or is a Franklin's deal where you have show up by 9:30?
I have never been in line at either at opening time where that happened. By my experience - of at least fifteen trips to each - I've never seen that the way it does at Franklin.

Enjoy - both are great. Don't miss the beef rib or the squash at JMMCo, the sausage and chipotle slaw at LA, and the brisket at both.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:56 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,307 times
I like Iron Works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin