Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 06:18 PM

37 posts, read 88,913 times

Advertisements

East Austin is the bee's knees, but some thangs have to go:

* Shabby houses ready to fall apart with just one wrong breeze.
* Loose dogs running around like it's Bartertown.
* Never-picked-up junk eternally piled at the curb - especially the ever-fashionable unwanted toilet.
* Post-apocalyptic yards that have never seen a rake, green plants, mulch or a garbage-free spot.
* Graffiti.
* Directionless kids and their parent or parents who don't seem to hold discernible employment but have plenty of dough for parties, drugs, diesel rigs, rims, bass and more toilets.
* The lack of sidewalks.
* Raggedy corner stores that - with dirty spaces, iron bars and torn-up parking lots - contribute their fair share of blight.
* The scofflaws who throw cans, cigarette boxes and fast-food packages to the ground or creek as they pass.
* The hideous public-housing projects that have lasted far past their time.
* Folks who think front yards are for parking.

Dis.gust.ing. I've never understood behaviors that destroy neighborhoods rather than lift them. And no matter how poor folks are, they can still afford a broom, a will to organize for the betterment of community and some common sense.

Now, if the increasing gentrification of East Austin - it will not be stopped, folks - brings cool coffee shops with Wi-Fi, housing that belongs in the 21st century, folks who understand that this city has a leash law and neighbors and businesses that actually care about their community and accountability, I've just one collective thing to say to those who've done East Austin wrong: "Bye, and take your toilet with you!"

Last edited by GPax; 02-12-2014 at 06:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 07:04 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPax View Post
Now, if the increasing gentrification of East Austin - it will not be stopped, folks - brings cool coffee shops with Wi-Fi, housing that belongs in the 21st century, folks who understand that this city has a leash law and neighbors and businesses that actually care about their community and accountability, I've just one collective thing to say to those who've done East Austin wrong: "Bye, and take your toilet with you!"
A hipster Stepford. How have we lived without this until now?

Old 02-12-2014, 07:10 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,718 times
Quote:
[font=Arial]Now, if the increasing gentrification of East Austin - it will not be stopped, folks - brings cool coffee shops with Wi-Fi, housing that belongs in the 21st century, folks who understand that this city has a leash law and neighbors and businesses that actually care about their community and accountability, I've just one collective thing to say to those who've done East Austin wrong: "Bye, and take your toilet with you!"
So you're leaving? Sorry to see you go!

Old 02-12-2014, 07:23 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
It's called character. Want to live in hipsterville without so much of the troublesome "character"? Move to SoCo. Rent is about the same.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:32 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
This has to be a troll post. Someone please pimp slap this person.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:02 PM

37 posts, read 88,913 times
Just a property owner who doesn't find blight awesome. Good to see movements and transitions that help change it for the better.

Last edited by GPax; 02-12-2014 at 09:17 PM..

Old 02-12-2014, 10:47 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,897 times
Quote:
East Austin is the bee's knees, but some thangs have to go:

* Shabby houses ready to fall apart with just one wrong breeze.
* Loose dogs running around like it's Bartertown.
* Never-picked-up junk eternally piled at the curb - especially the ever-fashionable unwanted toilet.
* Post-apocalyptic yards that have never seen a rake, green plants, mulch or a garbage-free spot.
* Graffiti.
* Directionless kids and their parent or parents who don't seem to hold discernible employment but have plenty of dough for parties, drugs, diesel rigs, rims, bass and more toilets.
* The lack of sidewalks.
* Raggedy corner stores that - with dirty spaces, iron bars and torn-up parking lots - contribute their fair share of blight.
* The scofflaws who throw cans, cigarette boxes and fast-food packages to the ground or creek as they pass.
* The hideous public-housing projects that have lasted far past their time.
* Folks who think front yards are for parking.

Dis.gust.ing. I've never understood behaviors that destroy neighborhoods rather than lift them. And no matter how poor folks are, they can still afford a broom, a will to organize for the betterment of community and some common sense.

Ladies and gentlemen, the 21st century Austinite. We have arrived!

Old 02-13-2014, 05:35 AM

320 posts, read 486,992 times
I can see the OP's point re: "I've never understood behaviors that destroy neighborhoods rather than lift them. And no matter how poor folks are, they can still afford a broom, a will to organize for the betterment of community and some common sense."

Character? Maybe, but I just don't buy the defense "that's what makes America great", people having the "freedom" to live like slobs, let their children and pets run wild, and infringe other other people's rights to live in a civilized society. Maybe the young people (aka Hipsters) of America will be able to change this lazy, don't give a **** attitude that has developed in this Country. What's wrong with things being better? Seems like people have been OK with things getting worse, that's easier I guess.

I'm too old to be a Hipster, maybe a Hippie. Having a social conscience is something that was void for the last 20 years, hopefully it's making a comeback.

What is a shame is that developers are given free reign to change the landscape of the city and people without a voice (or money and influence) just have to move. I don't know how to stop it, or if it can be...

I don't agree that East Austin would be better off being taken over with fancy condos and hipster bars and restaurants, but it would be nice if people would take some responsibility and pride in their own neighborhood and their lives. I love vibe of East Austin and hope the mix of new and old urban can live harmoniously.

Most issues aren't black and white, but somewhere in the middle.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:10 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
usernamenottaken is correct, but east siders aren't the only ones who have trashed up their surroundings. Not to mention the west side powers that have intentionally placed most of the undesirable NIMBY utility facilities east of 35.

Y'all should've seen 6th Street before it gentrified.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:43 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Not to mention the west side powers that have intentionally placed most of the undesirable NIMBY utility facilities east of 35.
And it is the removal of those facilities - the tank farm, the Holly power plant - that have made east Austin more susceptible to gentrification. Just as much to blame as those evil, greedy "developers". If there wasn't demand, there wouldn't be anything to develop, would there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin