Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:12 AM

32 posts, read 84,172 times

Advertisements

I feel the same way about the posters question. We are only going out to visit Round Rock to see if we like it, and then, possibly a move in April or May. We're from San Diego and all of our family is here. My mom already stated "I can't believe you're going to take my grand kids away from me." Talk about guilt. Anyway, the holiday issue is something that scares me. I am born and raised San Diego never lived anywhere else, and it seems that moving is the only way we will be able to give our kids a life. It's just too expensive here. I know I won't miss anything SD has to offer, just family. Thankfully, my sister will be going to the University of TX at Austin in August, so we won't be too alone. Thanks for posting this, it was help for me to hear it from people who are already there, and living it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 04:38 PM

71 posts, read 451,507 times
Well, my mom would never voice it but I knew she was thinking the same thing about me taking her only grand daughter away (I'm an only child too so a double whammy). I have to tell you, I'm not loving being away. I thought the same thing about the cost of living and that we'd be giving her a better life. now I'm rethinking that. My husband and I both make way less than we did in MD and the houses are not that much cheaper when factoring in the taxes.
Ugh, I'm not sure I'll make it past one year. Thank God we're renting.
Don't get me wrong though-we like it here a lot. (minus the traffic) Just not sure it's for us.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:44 PM

115 posts, read 491,005 times
I'm moving from San Diego too. It's going to hard moving away from my family since we're very close but I look forward to us starting our own traditions in Austin. We also plan to visit San Diego throughout the year. The biggest thing will be my teenage son missing our family and his friends. That who I feel for the most. Trust me he is rubbing it in too!

Old 12-04-2007, 05:07 PM

32 posts, read 140,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kye022984 View Post
I feel the same way about the posters question. We are only going out to visit Round Rock to see if we like it, and then, possibly a move in April or May. We're from San Diego and all of our family is here. My mom already stated "I can't believe you're going to take my grand kids away from me." Talk about guilt. Anyway, the holiday issue is something that scares me. I am born and raised San Diego never lived anywhere else, and it seems that moving is the only way we will be able to give our kids a life. It's just too expensive here. I know I won't miss anything SD has to offer, just family. Thankfully, my sister will be going to the University of TX at Austin in August, so we won't be too alone. Thanks for posting this, it was help for me to hear it from people who are already there, and living it.

I married an Austin man and left my family in Okla. My Mother had been with my youngest child almost everyday. My parents lived close enough that when i was making soup and needed an extra can of broth mom brought it over before the pot started to boil! It was the scariest thing I ever did! Moving from a place I had lived for 15 years and a job and friends and life that was comfortable and supportive. however!
It has been wonderful! This a beautiful part of the country with a fantastic spirit. We were her a week when we were driving home from a trip to Hamilton Pool and my six yearold said " Hey! we aren't on vaction! we live here! Pretty Cool Huh?

Old 12-04-2007, 10:26 PM

15 posts, read 65,755 times
We also just moved down here to Austin (in October from Northern VA) and though I don't miss the DC metro area, I do miss my family but on the other side of the coin, there's a certain amount of freedom that comes with moving away from the whole clan. Thanksgiving was a bit tough though when I hear my Mom's voice cracking as she's telling me that I'm very missed at Thanksgiving dinner. Christmas is also going to be spent away from my Mom but with my in-laws so it's just a matter of getting accustomed to change I suppose but it's hard to break tradition.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:29 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,874,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adios Baltimore View Post
Well, my mom would never voice it but I knew she was thinking the same thing about me taking her only grand daughter away (I'm an only child too so a double whammy). I have to tell you, I'm not loving being away. I thought the same thing about the cost of living and that we'd be giving her a better life. now I'm rethinking that. My husband and I both make way less than we did in MD and the houses are not that much cheaper when factoring in the taxes.
Ugh, I'm not sure I'll make it past one year. Thank God we're renting.
Don't get me wrong though-we like it here a lot. (minus the traffic) Just not sure it's for us.
Both of our parents live in Cleveland and my sister, bro-in-law and 2yr-old nephew live in Minneapolis, so I understand.

Everyone's different and everyone's situation is unique to them, but I will second the earlier advice to just "hang in there" for a bit. If I remember correctly, you moved here close to the same time I did(September), and that's just too soon to pull the plug. We are really just starting to feel settled. We took a short camping trip last weekend and so it was the first time that "coming home" meant Austin. Psychologically, I feel that helped solidify us in our new place.

We are fortunate in the fact that my wife's Uncle lives here as does a family friend and his wife(although they are 10 years younger than us so we have different tastes and interests!). We also have cousins in Houston and Dallas, so we're looking forward to developing relationships with them.

We stayed here for Thanksgiving and we're staying here for Christmas as well. It's just too expensive and we have some financial goals that we need to stick to() to get ourselves ahead(moving is so expensive). We're both close to our folks so it's going to be strange. We are disappointed, but our parents are coming to visit in the Spring as well as some friends after the Holidays. We are looking forward to making the most out of our Holidays(volunteering etc...) and possibly starting our own traditions.

To be honest, I talk to my parents more often now then when I lived 30 minutes away. The distance has brought some things into clearer focus at least for now. I miss seeing them, but we've tried to make the best of things. If you have a webcam, they're really great for long-distance communication. Check this out:
Skype - internet calls - download Skype free now - free calls - official website

I'm looking into options of setting everyone up with video conferencing capabilities. It's not like the real thing but it's better than nothing

Hopefully next year will be easier for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: