Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 09:01 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamenottaken View Post
Yea, but her husband is 30. Time to get serious and support a family.
I hope she reads these responses. Wondering if that was just another drive-by post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 09:43 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Austin is the most expensive city in Texas right now.
It has a high COL that just keeps rising.

Try looking at other cities in Texas especially if you have no jobs lined up.
I wouldn't suggest Houston in their case either, apparently the housing prices/market has been going through the roof there as well.

Maybe San Antonio?

Old 02-15-2014, 11:45 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Most married musicians here I know have a wife who works a professional job. One of the musicians gives music lessons during the day and the other is in a more popular group and just does music full time, but they tour and also do movie soundtracks, etc...I know some musicians in Houston as well and some of them are pretty popular too, but they also have day jobs. 2 examples there are one is in retail management and another is a prison guard. Some of the others I know are teachers too.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:51 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
COMPARISON---------------------------Austin ------Fort Myers
Cost of Living, 2012---------------------95.3--------91.8
median household income 2011-------$49,987----$36,560
median house/condo value 2011------$217,700 --$110,600------and Austin prices have risen significantly since then
Median gross rent in 2011-------------$905--------$814------and Austin prices have risen significantly since then
% residents living in poverty 2011--20.3% --------28.1%
Crime rates------------------------------370.4-------561.4

There are jobs here but also lots of competition. If you don't have marketable job skills your not going to get the best ones available. Lots of musicians competing with each other here, Most musicians play for pennies and work another full time job to support themselves.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Most married musicians here I know have a wife who works a professional job. One of the musicians gives music lessons during the day and the other is in a more popular group and just does music full time, but they tour and also do movie soundtracks, etc...I know some musicians in Houston as well and some of them are pretty popular too, but they also have day jobs. 2 examples there are one is in retail management and another is a prison guard. Some of the others I know are teachers too.
Most married musicians here I know are women and don't have a wife.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:30 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Most married musicians here I know are women and don't have a wife.
What do they call a Austin musician without a girlfriend or a wife?

Homeless.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
What do they call a Austin musician without a girlfriend or a wife?

Homeless.
I think you missed my point in your rush to tell a tired old joke.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:40 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I think you missed my point in your rush to tell a tired old joke.

I didn't miss anything. Your circle of friends is a small fraction of the reality that the average Austin musician is male.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:22 PM

115 posts, read 160,636 times
I used to live in Cape Coral, next to Fort Myers, now I live in Utah but looking to move to Austin, I just visited Austin again, Although it is more expensive than Ft myers,, it is not by a lot, but the biggest difference, is that there are more jobs in Austin, and also, the pay better, as you know Lee County and surrounding areas have become terrible, few jobs, crime is increasing, no industry, and everything seems to be dependent mostly on tourism.

I have been impressed with Austin, the main negatives seem traffic, hot weather, and real estate taxes although in fort Myers summers are longer and more humid. The cost of living when I compared where I live is really close, and when compared with Lee County is a little more.

Schools are way better in Texas, Lee county schools are getting worse and worse every year.

After this visit, I am more convinced this is a fit for me and my family. We will be renting the first year to make sure that this is what we are looking for. I will recommend you to do the same, visit first, get more facts, talk to the locals, etc., then if you still feel you like it, just rent for year or two..

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevic.swfl1111 View Post
Hi I'm married with 2 kids my husband is 30 and I'm 24. We live in Fort Myers Florida and hate it! I grew up here and my husband is from Chicago. Fort Myers has no job offers housing sucks it cost so much just to rent but the jobs pay crap and day care is way to expensive!! Its so bad my husband lost his job, I was a house wife because we couldn't afford daycare so were both jobless and we live with my parents who are business owners and there losing there house. Well my husband is in a band and there doing really well here but the music is pretty ****ty and Miami area is mainly hip hop and dub step. Well his lead Singer is moving to Austin Texas and has asked us to come with to proceed with the band. I've read amazing things but it's still nerve racking. We have the money to make the move. But I'm curious about the jobs down there, living cost seems low. Music seen is suppose to be huge! But we have no family or friends. It'll but my lil family and my husband's bandages which one of them is also married with kids. Just my question is, is Austin really as awesome and feasible as it sounds and looks like? Like all the reviews I keep reading just keep pointing to yes. Is this a town where if even if my husband's band doesn't go anywhere we will still be OK because Florida has become not a place to raise a family. 42 unsolved murders in the past 2 years so many rapes break ins I look at my close friends and ones in prison the other is a recovering addict and the more people I meet the more ****ed up they are and the school system sucks!!!... it's so ghetto I just want to move some where down to earth, music, art, and safe for my kids.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:27 PM

Why do people think it's not humid here? Fort Myers has ocean breezes, right? We have humidity and NO ocean breezes.

Also, it can be 90 degrees at midnight, quite frequently, only cooling down to 80 just before sunrise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin