U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 11:33 PM

26 posts, read 140,198 times
Smile Austin vs. Houston

Hello Austin, My family and I are considering moving to Texas within the next year or so. I would like to know the difference between Houston and Austin and which one of the cities is a better location to move. Here are some questions I would like to know to consider relocating to Austin:

1. Job Market:

First off, how is the job market in general? I'm working on my degree in both video production and graphic design. My mom is in the banking industry and has her real estate licsence and my brother is into the music scene (Hip Hop/R&B) and visual/fine arts. Which city has a big Job market for all these things?

2. Which city support the Arts more? This includes visual/fine arts, music and film

3. Which city has a good opportunity for starting a business?

4. Does Charlotte have a reasonable cost of living is, especially home prices?

5. Which city has the better climate?

6. Which city has more crime?

7. Which city has a lot entertainment and things to do leisure wise?

8. Which city do celebrities go to more often, such as actors and singers and rappers?

9. Which city has diverse population and diverse culture?

10. Which city has better school districts?

Any Information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 12:18 PM

944 posts, read 2,689,645 times
1. Job Market: it's great but competitive. Always low unemployment, but almost everyone seems to be working their butts off to afford to live here.

..."my brother is into the music scene (Hip Hop/R&B) and visual/fine arts. Which city has a big Job market for all these things?"

Not Austin. We NEED YOU!!! The music scene is too white. Katrina helped us a bit by sending some New Orleans musicians who have settled in Austin, and there's a very small local hip-hop scene, but this is NOT Houston. The dominant minority group by far is Hispanic, and the Austin black cultural scene is not up to what it should be given the number of people here. It's one thing that really bugs me about Austin, it's a fairly divided city but you can help change that. You just have to have the courage to stand out a bit and maybe you can find some local talent that you can help develop along with your own and your brother's.

2. Which city support the Arts more? ---- probably Houston, by a long shot. H-town is a major city, Austin is just now becoming a city and still going through rapid growth. The money here is mostly new, so you don't have that base of old oil money that helped build Houston. As Austin matures it will be a great arts center but that will take time. It's a major focus of city planners but they keep being frustrated in their goals for fundraising, building facilities, etc.

3. Which city has a good opportunity for starting a business? - Austin!!! Now you're talking about what's good here. It's been ranked number 1 for entrepreneurs in a recent year's annual survey of cities. If you have a business, you can hire so much talent. That's why you want to be on the ownership side, not just another person with talent looking for a job. Create jobs and then you'll be rewarded with a wealth of great people who want to work for you.

5. Which city has the better climate? -- Austin, by far. We have much more wind than Houston, and lower humidity. Much better air quality, too.

6. Which city has more crime? -- Houston, by far.

7. Which city has a lot entertainment and things to do leisure wise? Austin is fantastic for entertainment. It's overwhelming!!!

8. Which city do celebrities go to more often, such as actors and singers and rappers? In total, probably Houston, but per capita, probably Austin. We especially attract oddballs like Mike Judge, Richard Linklater, Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez, etc. During SXSW it's common for lots of celebs to show up in unusual places like funky eastside cafes. I saw Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman at a dive right along the freeway, and the waitstaff said they come there whenever they're in town (which is often, apparently.)

9. Which city has diverse population and diverse culture? Houston, IMO. But both cities are segregated, like most of America and the world. And both cities have integrated areas that tend to be the hippest, best places to live if you're a creative type who isn't into following the herd.

10. Which city has better school districts? I have no idea. Both have good and bad.

Good luck with your choice. I personally hope you choose Austin for reasons stated above and in another thread.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:11 PM

5,247 posts, read 8,393,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubianprincess View Post
Hello Austin, My family and I are considering moving to Texas within the next year or so. I would like to know the difference between Houston and Austin and which one of the cities is a better location to move. Here are some questions I would like to know to consider relocating to Austin:

1. Job Market:

First off, how is the job market in general? I'm working on my degree in both video production and graphic design. My mom is in the banking industry and has her real estate licsence and my brother is into the music scene (Hip Hop/R&B) and visual/fine arts. Which city has a big Job market for all these things?

2. Which city support the Arts more? This includes visual/fine arts, music and film

8. Which city do celebrities go to more often, such as actors and singers and rappers?

I've actually lived in both cities in recent years, so hope I can be of some help:

1. I'd say either, but Houston is a larger city and may have a little more opportunity.

2. Both do, but they're a little different. In Houston, it is the large-scale performing arts in addition to some smaller ones. In Austin, it is a lot of smaller, independent groups. I'd say Austin is bigger on film, while Houston is bigger on fine arts.

3. Both. Although people I've known who have done this told me Houston had a slight edge.

4. ?

5. Probably Austin. Because it's a little less humid and rains less.

6. Of course Houston does, it's a much, much larger city. You have to keep in mind Houston is the nation's 4th largest city, while Austin is still primarily the state capital and a college town, though it's growing.

7. Both do. But Houston has more as far as entertainment simply because it's a larger city. Austin has an advantage on the outdoors.

8. Not sure. But probably Houston.

9. Houston.

10. That really depends on what area(s) of town you're looking.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 27,749 times
If you must live in either, both have pros and cons...as any city. Houston (born and raised) pros-Conroe,Woodlands, Cy-area, Katy,Sugarland, and the coast. cons-humidity, katrina crime. Austin (lived last 5yrs) pros-northside, Buda,Kyle, downtown nightlife, lake travis, artsy. Cons-hwy 35, conjestion in general.
-I am one of those arrogant TEXANS! I believe you definitely would enjoy Austin.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:48 AM
zdg

724 posts, read 918,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm1033 View Post
If you must live in either, both have pros and cons...as any city. Houston (born and raised) pros-Conroe,Woodlands, Cy-area, Katy,Sugarland, and the coast. cons-humidity, katrina crime. Austin (lived last 5yrs) pros-northside, Buda,Kyle, downtown nightlife, lake travis, artsy. Cons-hwy 35, conjestion in general.
-I am one of those arrogant TEXANS! I believe you definitely would enjoy Austin.
I'm not sure how you can list suburbs that are 30 minutes outside a city as "pros" of that city. Every suburb in every city is exactly the same. You can eat Chili's and shop at the mall in any city of 50,000+ in America. The suburbs are one of the least interest parts of Houston and listing them as "pros" of a city with world class museums and world class locally owned restaurants, which is a relatively easy-going huge metro area is a little misleading, in my opinion.

I'm not saying this with a "nasty" tone at all; I'm simply saying that the Woodlands are the Woodlands, not Houston. Conroe's not even close to Houston. It's like telling folks that NYC is "so cool" because of all the things Norwalk, CT has to offer.

Last edited by zdg; 06-30-2007 at 08:45 AM..

Old 06-30-2007, 10:56 AM

6,769 posts, read 9,995,874 times
I've also lived in both -- and still do a lot of business in Houston. Keep in mind that although I answered Houston to many of your specific questions, I live in Austin and prefer it here -- mostly for the outdoors, scenery, and laid-back attitude. Here is my take:

Quote:
1. Job Market:

Houston has the better job market. Much more opportunity, they always seem to have more jobs than people willing to move down there and fill them. Austin is good right now, but often it is the other way around -- people want to live here and are willing to come down, whether there is job opportunity or not.
Quote:
Houston, for reasons mentioned by others. More money for the arts, real "big city" support for culture.
Quote:
Houston. I've started a business there. Total unabashed capitalism like you won't see anywhere else in America. Tons of small businesses, opportunities to do business with bigger companies, great airport, more realistic property tax valuations, less zoning rules, more and cheaper office space.
Quote:
Looking at NC too? I guess you mean Houston or Austin. Houston has the cheaper cost of living. BTW, I was just in NC, and the weather is very similar to Houston right now...
Quote:
Austin, less humid and cooler during the winter. But to someone coming from outside of Texas, the climates may seems similiar.
Quote:
Houston.
Quote:
Depends on what you do in your leisure time. For outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, swimming / lakes -- Austin is much better. For clubs, restaurants, nightlife -- Houston hands down.
Quote:
Probably Houston, certainly with rappers.. also the pro sports teams mean more sports figures. Austin attracts a few celebrities, but is mostly appealing to the starving-musician, starving-artist type. Also up-and-coming filmmakers, but not so much established ones.
Quote:
Houston is one of the most diverse places in the whole country. It's diversity is really one of it's strong points, and should be commended. Austin is one of the least diverse places in Texas, but that is changing. Austin needs much improvement in that area, though!
Quote:
I think Austin does -- but there area web ratings sites and other threads about that.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:30 PM

8,241 posts, read 9,864,506 times
Austin doesn't have a major market sports team, either. I think it's important to point that out...I know it bothers lots of people. My dh and I are graduates of UT ('84 and '85) so of course we root for the horns. Lots of people who move here cheer for them too. If that's important to you....you should know!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:04 AM

48 posts, read 44,390 times
Quote:

1. Job Market:

1. It doesn't get much "bigger" than Houston.
2. Houston puts their money where their mouths are regarding Arts. It has more and better facilities that can be accessed without having to deal with nightmare traffic like in Austin.
3. Houston
4. ?
5. Austin is hotter and drier than Houston.
6. Property crime is high in Austin. Houston has more violent crime.
7. Houston
8. Houston
9. about equal
10. Houston

Old 05-30-2012, 07:45 AM

11,899 posts, read 11,386,196 times
You revived a five year old thread. Why?

Old 05-30-2012, 07:56 AM

2,644 posts, read 2,026,190 times
Pretty sure the OP may have found their answers and/or had time enough to formulate their own opinions in the last 5+ years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin