Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you higher for your Sprinkler System?
Private Company 6 100.00%
Builder - Meritage Homes 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 06:59 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
One debate we are having is whether to pay the builder to install the sprinkler system in front and back yard along w/ putting in grass in the back yard or to hire a private company to do the work.
OP, not picking on you, but on the builder (who are always the last to be dragged kicking & screaming into the 21st century).

What kind of "grass" are they "putting in"? (free in the front & for a fee out back)

Homebuilders are pure capitalists & I love them for it. But since their decisions affect others for decades (after they are long gone to the next geographic hot spot...or sold to some mega-builder), they need to be muzzled & kept on a short leash. If the builder won't monitor themselves, then the city or county should be doing the job (with LAWS). MANDATORY native plants/grasses or they need to write a big *ss check to the govt. entity or homebuyer....so he can replace the dead splotch of St. Augustine out front 3-5 years from now with something that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 07:51 AM

327 posts, read 774,620 times
Do builders still install St. Augustine in this area? I would imagine most use Tif 419 which is pretty drought tolerant even if you don't water, but more maintenance.

OP, do you know what type of grass you're having quoted from both options? Also, have you asked the builder what company they use for landscape installation? When we built our full lawn and irrigation system was included, and the company our builder used did a great job and provided us detailed diagrams showing the plot, head types, zones, etc. However if the full sod and sprinkler wasn't included I wouldn't have gone with the builder because I'm trying to get rid of a large portion of the yard through hardscaping/gardens.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:18 AM

182 posts, read 694,220 times
Our builder was hiring a sub-contractor for the irrigation system install. We are very pleased with the quality of the system and we would definitely recommend this company. The company name is Countryside Landscape. Just google them for their location and info.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:29 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,454,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbhendrix View Post
So this thursday my wife and I are going to be making the final selections for our home in both design and builder upgrades.

Currently, the builder (Meritage Homes) is only putting grass in the front yard.

One debate we are having is whether to pay the builder to install the sprinkler system in front and back yard along w/ putting in grass in the back yard or to hire a private company to do the work.

Pricing is very similar - actually the private company is about 1-2k less overall and they are a 5 star yelp company.

My wife wants to just have the builder do the work b/c it'll be easier and we won't have to worry about it and it will be done at the completion of the home.

I think that the private company will use better materials and overall do a better job setting up the sprinklers and laying the grass.

Does anyone here have an opinion on what they would do?

note: We're paying out of pocket for either company so there is no advantage to rolling the upgrade into the loan and saving money in the short term.
One issue might be the timing of the decision.
In case you are from out of the area, HOAs are a plague in Austin.
The fact that you are getting a new home virtually guarantees that you are in an HOA-burdened subdivision.

At the moment, the HOA is probably controlled by the builder or a developer with which the builder has a relationship. Many builders won't provide you with a resale certificate (claiming it is only for resale) or any type of protection against threats by the HOA for alleged violations exhibited by the new home. You will want something from the builder that evidences that the plan was "approved" by the HOA - otherwise you want a "green" re-sale certificate before final closing that serves as an estoppel against the HOA.

If you go with a private installer, your timing will be somewhat critical. If you wait until after final closing - you will have to deal with getting permission and all the other undesirable aspects of the HOA with respect to installing an irrigation system on your own property.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:54 AM

327 posts, read 774,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
One issue might be the timing of the decision.
In case you are from out of the area, HOAs are a plague in Austin.
The fact that you are getting a new home virtually guarantees that you are in an HOA-burdened subdivision.

At the moment, the HOA is probably controlled by the builder or a developer with which the builder has a relationship. Many builders won't provide you with a resale certificate (claiming it is only for resale) or any type of protection against threats by the HOA for alleged violations exhibited by the new home. You will want something from the builder that evidences that the plan was "approved" by the HOA - otherwise you want a "green" re-sale certificate before final closing that serves as an estoppel against the HOA.

If you go with a private installer, your timing will be somewhat critical. If you wait until after final closing - you will have to deal with getting permission and all the other undesirable aspects of the HOA with respect to installing an irrigation system on your own property.
I love reading your posts, they're always about the evil HOA. This is a good point though, once you close you may have an architectural review board that will have to approve this so check your CCRs.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:06 PM

8 posts, read 19,477 times
wow, thanks for the great advice. Yes, we do have an HOA and that's something thus far i'm 50/50 on. I like the idea of having the neighborhood standards held up, but i'm sure will be frustrated just as often when i have to run everything past them..

I called the builder today and they said they use Bermuda grass... the very grass the private company told me to avoid. I did a little online research and it sounds like Bermuda isn't perfect but its better then St. Augustine. Ho hum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: