Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 02:16 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times

Advertisements

I have a Geography degree from UT, 7 years experience in GIS, and I'm good at mapping and cartography. But I've never been able to even get an interview for a GIS job in Austin. I can only seem to get hired in Houston or Maui-- I worked for Maui County, moved to Houston for a year, and now I work for a small tech company on Maui again. It's far more difficult to get hired on this little island, especially living on the mainland, yet I did it twice.

But I'd rather have gotten a job in Austin. I love the city and I love the Hill Country, and I have good friends there. We're not talking about some paradise. It's a just a city and a region that I happen to like. Over a million people live there. Why can't I?

Old 02-20-2014, 02:24 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
Is Maui listed as your current address on your resume? If so, that's why.

Edit: I see you're actually in Houston. Are there as many actual jobs here in Austin as there are in Houston? I would think the pool is much smaller here hence less chance of landing something?

Old 02-20-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
For a year I was applying for jobs from Houston. I only got one phone interview.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post

Edit: I see you're actually in Houston. Are there as many actual jobs here in Austin as there are in Houston? I would think the pool is much smaller here hence less chance of landing something?
I moved back to Maui a couple months ago. There are more jobs in Houston, almost all in oil & gas. But there are some in Austin.

I just don't get why they're impossible to even get an interview for.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:39 PM

247 posts, read 558,584 times
Probably more oil/energy jobs in Houston. Is your resume all over the place? Where have you applied to in Austin?

Old 02-20-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drshdw View Post
Probably more oil/energy jobs in Houston. Is your resume all over the place? Where have you applied to in Austin?
I've applied to various small environmental companies, big ones like AECOM, and the state.

My resume is pretty varied... I worked for a small mapping services company in Houston, Maui County, EOG Resources as a contractor, and I did a GIS internship at Yellowstone. I have a lot of cartographic and fieldwork experience that the vast majority of GIS people in Texas don't because they've only done grunt work in oil & gas. But I've gotten passed up for every job.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I've applied to various small environmental companies, big ones like AECOM, and the state.

My resume is pretty varied... I worked for a small mapping services company in Houston, Maui County, EOG Resources as a contractor, and I did a GIS internship at Yellowstone. I have a lot of cartographic and fieldwork experience that the vast majority of GIS people in Texas don't because they've only done grunt work in oil & gas. But I've gotten passed up for every job.
Could that be because they have experience in oil & gas? Being shoehorned in oil & gas certainly doesn't hurt in Texas..

Old 02-20-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Could that be because they have experience in oil & gas? Being shoehorned in oil & gas certainly doesn't hurt in Texas..
Most of my experience is oil & gas

Old 02-20-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Most of my experience is oil & gas
Ah, are you over qualified for the positions you've applied for? Have you asked the HR recruiter or whoever what qualities the other candidates had that you didn't?

Old 02-20-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Ah, are you over qualified for the positions you've applied for? Have you asked the HR recruiter or whoever what qualities the other candidates had that you didn't?
Usually there is no one you can talk to, or they'll just say they chose another candidate. I'm not overqualified for any of these jobs, unless you go by pay-- they're typically "entry level" pay for jobs that require several years of experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin