Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 07:53 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,651,072 times

Advertisements

Lived in Plano,TX for 14 years and been living in NJ for 17 years now , I cant wait to get the hell out of dirty rat hole NJ. I miss and love Texas and love the heat. Here up north in NJ we barely have a summer anymore , or its just super humid. Spring and fall does not exist anymore. I used to enjoy the 4 different seasons up north here but its just getting to be too much. The cold is crazy cold and we get snow storms up the ass . Its been like a month stuck in the house from this crazy snow. Then you have all the rude , in a rush to nowhere people. Everyone is overly exhausted , drama queens, and people trying to live some elite lavish lifestyle LOL . People in the NE live to work and thats it.

There will be differences but you have to want those differences otherwise you will never adjust.

Now lets address the NY pizza issue , the real problem is that most people dont know how or what a NY pizza is , they use crappy cheap cheese and over spice the pizza sauce. I know there is an issue with the water and the dough doesnt come out as good as the NE but if you have an amazing sauce and cheese you can over come the dough issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 09:46 AM

36 posts, read 56,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Most people from the NE can't really adjust very well. I'm not sure why to tell you the truth. There are some, but they are the ones that were really unhappy with the cold, the rudeness, etc... of the NE. If you love the NE you will hate it here.

I personally couldn't stand my 4 year university stint in the NE, the weather sucked so bad. But the pizza was good up there.

If you are okay trading long cold winters for long hot summers and pizza for barbeque, bagels for breakfast tacos, and pastrami sandwiches for brisket sandwiches, you may just do okay here.

Speaking from personal experience, I disagree with the sentiment that the majority of folks from the Northeast can't adjust very well - it was an easy transition for me and a few friends that have made the move. It really depends on what you like.

After living in NYC area and a few other places in the Northeast most of my life, as well as Chicago, I've been in Austin a few years and I feel like I've been on vacation ever since I arrived (despite the fact that I still work) - it suits me that well. That might sound to some folks like an "over the top" statement, especially the bashers that don't want to see more folks move to Austin, but for me Austin & Texas are near paradise compared to the Northeast.

Why? Well, like I said, it depends what is important to you, and for me climate is important. I've consistently told people that I can take the dogs for a walk at 7am more than 95% of the year without any major discomfort (rain, snow, -20 wind chills, strapping Yaktrax to my boots, etc) and I value that. I enjoy being outdoors at every opportunity, warm weather, friendly people, and the far lower stress environment overall. As a previous poster said, I do not miss the "live to work", overly exhausted lifestyle. I do not miss the NY taxes: ~7% income tax, ~4% property tax on much higher priced homes, and still an 8%+ sales tax. I do not miss dead car batteries, standing in the bitter cold trying to scrape ice off the car as my hands get frostbitten, shoveling out from the snowplow three times before I can leave the house, snow tires / chains on the tires, getting stuck, sliding off the road, depressing cloudiness, and so on.

So if climate and affordability are important to you as you mentioned, you'll be just fine in TX. Why stay in NY so state workers can retire early, when you can move to Texas so YOU can retire early? But if you value the following over all else: taking LIRR into Knicks games / cultural activities, pizza and Italian food, driving up to Catskills/Berkshires to ski and hike, and Jones beach, the adjustment will be tougher depending on how willing you are to try breakfast tacos/BBQ, tubing on the rivers, and UT sports.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:04 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,256,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerInTheShade View Post
I feel like I've been on vacation ever since I arrived (despite the fact that I still work) - it suits me that well.
I am from the Northeast too. I felt like I was on vacation until my rent got jacked up 50%, traffic became obscene, and I started feeling uncomfortable wearing shorts and a t-shirt out to meals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin