Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2007, 05:47 AM

9 posts, read 49,688 times

Advertisements

We have found a nice large one-story floorplan being built in Round Rock, but it's a bit more than we'd like to spend. Is anyone aware of any builders in the Austin area who are selling one-story homes on large lots for under $350K? We're specifically looking for a four bedroom, three bathroom, three car garage home. Is it unreasonable to find that for such a price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 05:55 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,050,807 times
What is your definition of "large"? What square footage size does your home need to be?

Without restricting the search by square footage or price, there are 228 homes that are 4/3/3 or more listed in the Austin MLS.

Restricting the search to homes under $350K drops the results to just 20 homes. 6 of those are in Round Rock, most of the rest are further out in other areas.

Bottom line: slim pickin's for what you seek, but not impossible.
Steve

Old 12-03-2007, 07:27 AM

9 posts, read 49,688 times
Well, by large, I guess I mean 4/3/3 regardless of square footage, but we'd like to get into a home that's at least 2500 sq ft because our current home is a 4/3/2 (two-story) at 2800 sq ft. I suppose there just aren't that many homes built to these specifications. Do you know why? Most of our friends who have young kids really like the floorplan we found in RR so I wonder why more builders aren't choosing plans like this one. I suppose it has a lot to do with the fact that the smaller the lots, the more homes they can build...

Old 12-03-2007, 08:05 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,679 times
For under $350K, you may find something in SW Austin - Shady Hollow. However, it'd surely need some remodeling.

Most of the new construction one stories that size are going to be custom construction and over $350K since a developer wants to squeeze as many lots as possible on a tract of land and large one stories aren't conducive to that.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:52 AM

233 posts, read 1,045,990 times
If you are looking for new homes you should check out New homes for sale, home builders and house plans at NewHomeSource. I ran a search with your criteria and came up with 17 new subdivisions with 49 new homes.

Criteria: 4+ bed, 3+ bath, 3+ garage, single story, $270-$380K.

Check it out.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmama32 View Post
Well, by large, I guess I mean 4/3/3 regardless of square footage, but we'd like to get into a home that's at least 2500 sq ft because our current home is a 4/3/2 (two-story) at 2800 sq ft. I suppose there just aren't that many homes built to these specifications. Do you know why? Most of our friends who have young kids really like the floorplan we found in RR so I wonder why more builders aren't choosing plans like this one. I suppose it has a lot to do with the fact that the smaller the lots, the more homes they can build...

It's the third garage bay that limits your choices. Drop that and you'll find a ton of 4 bedroom resale homes. Drop the third bath to a half bath, and you open it up even more.

Many new home builders now offer a 3rd bay option, which is bolted on to the side of the house, decreasing the space between you and your neighbors, but providing more room to store our American junk.

Steve

Old 12-04-2007, 07:05 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Many new home builders now offer a 3rd bay option, which is bolted on to the side of the house, decreasing the space between you and your neighbors, but providing more room to store our American junk.

Steve
If only we had basements. Just got back from visiting friends that have a full finished basement. I want one. Bad.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
If only we had basements. Just got back from visiting friends that have a full finished basement. I want one. Bad.
I know what you mean. I was in Atlanta last month and my relatives all have basements that are about as big as the footprint of the entire home above. One has an office and guest quarters set up, along with a gameroom. It's all heated and cooled. Another just has a rough space, more like a garage, heated with space heaters but set up with pingpong, weight room and storage.

The soil is Austin isn't basement-friendly. Mainly, I've only seen them in homes on a hill, where a "walk-out" basement works because it's not truley or completely underground but instead notched into the hillside.
Steve

Old 12-04-2007, 12:16 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I know what you mean. I was in Atlanta last month and my relatives all have basements that are about as big as the footprint of the entire home above. One has an office and guest quarters set up, along with a gameroom. It's all heated and cooled. Another just has a rough space, more like a garage, heated with space heaters but set up with pingpong, weight room and storage.
Steve
That is one big thing I will likely miss when we make our move. Without a third bay garage or really deep garage, I'm afraid I won't have enough room for all of my HD/Lowe's bargains(which, of course, I just had to buy because they were good deals). About 1/4 of our 1500 sq ft basement is my 'workshop'...only about another 1/4 is finished with paneling, carpet, etc. The rest is laundry area, storage, fallout shelter...you know, the usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: