Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2007, 04:27 PM

6 posts, read 27,747 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I've been lurking here for a while. I am trying to get some info on Cypress Canyon Preserve and Standard Pacific Builders. I am going to be visiting from VA soon. We really like the area, but we have also looked at Ranch of Brushy Creek, with Meritage and Drees. If it matters, we will also have 2 kids still in H.S. when we move.

Thank for any help, Bev
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 04:49 PM

347 posts, read 1,566,869 times
I live in Deer Creek Ranch which is part of Cypress Canyon. (Or vice versa. Theoretically they're different neighborhoods, but it all seems like the same one to me.) Standard Pacific built my home which is now three years old. It seems to me like they did a good job. There haven't been many cracks due to settling, or anything similar. We had a very thorough inspection in October (when we made an offer on this house), and the inspector found nothing wrong. I can tell Standard Pacific must nickel and dime for every little upgrade, because the house we bought has the cheapest option for everything. We have four bathrooms and none (even the master) has a single drawer in the vanities. Where are we supposed to put our toothpaste and deoderant? I never thought of drawers being a luxury, but I guess they are in my case.
Are you thinking of building? I really like this area. The newer parts are a bit hillier and green, and back up to a creek. There are a lot of kids. The high school is less than a mile away. It's close to lots of stores and things, but the urban sprawl is a few blocks away. It's a peaceful neighborhood.
PM me if you have any questions.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:57 PM

Thank you for the info. I grew up in South Austin and have been gone for 14 yrs so lots of these areas are new to me. Your concern of Standard Pacific "nickel and diming" is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

Bev

Old 12-03-2007, 05:44 PM

347 posts, read 1,566,869 times
I forgot to mention, though, that my house has a great floorplan (it's the Lakeridge, if you look on the Standard Pacific website.) Most of their houses have nice floorplans with huge kitchens, walk-in pantries, lots of closets and storage throughout. Granite comes standard, so the kitchens have a nice upscale look. I have yet to see a decent laundry room anywhere in Austin, though. Not a lot of architects must be doing their own laundry!

Old 12-04-2007, 10:55 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,464,918 times
Bev, both neighborhoods are in Leander ISD with Cypress Canyon going to Cedar Park High School and the Ranch at Brushy Creek attending Vista Ridge. You may want to match your kids' interests to the best HS for them...the schools have different strengths, although both are good schools with beautiful campuses. When you come to town, be sure and visit them. It may help you decide.

As far as builders go, I can't help you there, but I personally like both neighborhoods a lot. It also may help to consider your or your husband's commute to work.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:40 PM

Commute is not a problem. At least he will be able to take alternate routes if there is unexpected traffic. He has to travel through a tunnel to get to work now. When that shuts down, there is nowhere to go. Plus, he doesn't have a job yet. We are moving ahead of him, he will be retiring from the military next year. Does anyone else have any info on building with Standard Pacific?

Thank you jhwest and texastea for the info.

Bev

Old 03-29-2008, 07:11 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,621 times
I too am interested in this community and builder. We visited the neighborhood today and were impressed. We did notice a large discreprancy between the list prices of the models and the prices for available homes. I'm assuming some is the money for the lot, the other is for the options.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:23 AM

Your assumptions are correct. Lot premiums can get very pricey in that development. It is also very easy to get carried away at the design center. We did end up buying, and we were very mindful of our budget while picking out our design options. Our house will be finished this summer and I do have to say that the agents on site have been wonderful..... we are still in VA and they send pictures every week or so.

Good luck, Bev

Old 03-30-2008, 09:00 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,649,461 times
We looked into building with SP but everything we wanted was an upgrade like you said and we did not like the lots they had at the time now I know another person building with them right now and very please with the ways things are going if a bit to slow for the families taste! I love David Weekly homes my last home was one and it had a few quirks but in all it was a good home. If you want to have someone really nickle and dime ya go check out the centex price list even the light out by the garage is extra I think!

Old 03-30-2008, 06:25 PM

124 posts, read 575,913 times
I have been extremely happy with my SP home. I live in the same area, and that Preserve area has some fabulous homes. It will never be a neighborhood that becomes a "cut through" to other places by motorists, and it will not have BIG Hwys by it that have noise. We can sit on our deck and it is very quiet. The only traffic we hear is the ones on the streets in the neighborhood. Lots of little kids too. My kids will have loads of friends to play with as they grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin