Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 12:24 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,926,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
But UT athletics existed long before any of us moved to Austin. When moving to Austin, we all accepted that UT athletics would be a big part of the culture. The OP is talking about using taxpayer money to fund a mammoth stadium that is only used 8 times a year.

Funding UT also funds worthwhile academic programs, contributes to civic pride, and a host of other things. UT is our "raison d'etre" or reason for being. We've never had a history of NFL, nor should we.
I agree...... Austin shouldn't bother with Pro-Sports and pro stadiums. It's a College town first and won't change. I was just making a point that, to say that Pro Football is inferior to College football for the reasons given is being very short sighted. They both have their strong points and they both have their flaws. And at least the NFL is up front about being a professional league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 12:43 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
I agree...... Austin shouldn't bother with Pro-Sports and pro stadiums. It's a College town first and won't change. I was just making a point that, to say that Pro Football is inferior to College football for the reasons given is being very short sighted. They both have their strong points and they both have their flaws. And at least the NFL is up front about being a professional league.
How is it short-sighted? NCAA has been around longer, it's cheaper to attend and has far more tradition than what we'd get out of a crappy expansion franchise.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:47 PM

895 posts, read 1,240,218 times
I dont think that Austin really feels all that much like a college town at least to me. Its not obviously the "big" city yet (Chicago-new york-la) but I feel like its leaning that way then the other. I dont think that Austin is soley dependent on Texas University..which is what a college town is. In fact, if I can go anywhere and wouldnt know I was near the university if it wasnt for every large retailer selling thousands of the same burnt orange shirts.

And I never said why doesnt anyone wanna use the taxpayers money for a stadium..that was clearly assumed. not every stadium is paid for by the public. Usually its about half private half public...

Old 03-05-2014, 12:55 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,926,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
I don't totally agree on the "college town" point - there's just far more tradition with NCAA athletics than you'll find in pro sports.
I've been to plenty of games.

NCAA athletics are much more a way of life than any pro team.

Maybe there is more tradition... I realize at one point in the US college football was king. Heck there is some great tradition at Division II programs I've been to. But that's not my point.

If you step into Boston, New York, Chicago, Philly, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Green Bay, Dallas (etc).... I can give just as many examples where the Pros are much more of "a way of life". College Towns are College Towns, and generally it's the only game in town. A pro franchise isn't going to work in Austin any more than Tuscaloosa or Columbus.

It's just my opinion that people from places who don't have "pro sports" usually give a million reasons why college and minor league sports are so great, and the pros suck. I like both experiences. I'm not saying to go build a 80,000 seat stadium in Austin.

Some cities are pro cities and some are college cities. Some try and mix and it dosn't work that well.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:56 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
I dont think that Austin really feels all that much like a college town at least to me. Its not obviously the "big" city yet (Chicago-new york-la) but I feel like its leaning that way then the other. I dont think that Austin is soley dependent on Texas University..which is what a college town is. In fact, if I can go anywhere and wouldnt know I was near the university if it wasnt for every large retailer selling thousands of the same burnt orange shirts.

And I never said why doesnt anyone wanna use the taxpayers money for a stadium..that was clearly assumed. not every stadium is paid for by the public. Usually its about half private half public...
I don't know where this Texas University is that you speak of. We've got Southwestern, St Edwards, Texas State San Marcos, University of Texas at Austin, Concordia and H-T, etc.

And that $500 million it would take for a half-publicly funded project would be far better served channeled into transportation projects that would help mitigate the impact of all these people moving here.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:03 PM

895 posts, read 1,240,218 times
Road-

And do you really want the list of colleges in the chicagoland area? Or the other cities that have both college and pro teams? Just because there are colleges does not mean its an impossibility for any professional team to work.

And to you're second point...I couldnt agree anymore. Something has to be done about the traffic. A serious solution...not a toll road that 100 people a day use.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:12 PM

36 posts, read 44,285 times
I agree with OP...time for this town to get into big leagues!! Show some ballz and stop with this college and HS sport fascination BS and grow the hell up!!!

Old 03-05-2014, 01:23 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Antny12, Warrior was busting your chops because you don't know the name of the "U" in town. (you called it something else)

It's not that Austin is a college town (& it is). It's that 8 out of 10 people who aren't affiliated with UT aren't interested in Pro Football. Some are nerds, some are techies, some come from other countries, some come from other towns (which had pro sports) & we have "been there done that". We've moved on.

Me? I fired the NFL when Bum left Htown. I fired MLB when they had the second strike in the 90s. (will still occasionally watch a World Series game, but enjoy CWS & LLWS just as much). Still like the Rockets & Spurs & the NBA, but don't love it....won't drive or pay to see it.

Since we barely pass school bonds & vote down choo choo bonds.....why on earth would we vote to pay for (or help pay for) some rich dude's football stadium? We've been there & done that, we don't need it & don't care if they come or not.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:32 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Half public is as bad as all public - just a matter of degree. I don't feel the need to pay a dime.

UT built a huge stadium w/o a dime of taxpayer money. Bigger than most NFL stadiums. Why should taxpayers pay?

Old 03-05-2014, 04:13 PM

440 posts, read 714,541 times
We already have enough highly-paid crooks in the statehouse. That's a big circus too with public seating to watch the pugilistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin