Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 07:44 PM

85 posts, read 317,315 times

Advertisements

Hello chaps,

Me and my significant other are planning to visit Austin from Houston (by road, we have a car) next week. However, it happens to be SXSW and most hotels are sold out or very expensive.

It is our first time to Austin and we want to see some sights and sounds of Austin including SXSW if there is some public/low priced event, but not necessarily.

SXSW is not our motive for the trip so we can see everything else there is to see in Austin apart from that.

Can you recommend any part of town in or near Austin (as we have a car!) that may provide comfortable accommodations, e.g. Courtyard Marriott type or better, and yet allow us to either drive or take safe public transportation/reasonably priced taxi to and from Austin.

Thank you for your help!

Much appreciated,

Andrew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 07:57 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,282 times
Check La Quinta or Hampton Inn by Lakeline mall. You can grab the train into downtown Austin.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:03 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Check La Quinta or Hampton Inn by Lakeline mall. You can grab the train into downtown Austin.
Nope. They're booked. I think the closest one can hope to get to downtown at this point is Round Rock, and I just checked the LQ there online. They have vacancies but starting at $249 a night.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:24 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Nope. They're booked. I think the closest one can hope to get to downtown at this point is Round Rock, and I just checked the LQ there online. They have vacancies but starting at $249 a night.
Whoa. Booked the Hampton for a group at $139 about a week ago.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:32 PM

Hi chaps,

Thank you for your reply. Is this Hampton Inn the one being referred to:

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin Cedar Park - Lakeline
10811 Pecan Park Blvd, Austin, Texas, 78750, USA

If so, is this a reasonably safe neighborhood? Can we park our vehicle at the train station? Are the trains generally safe?

Any other areas we should look at?

Thank you!
Andrew

Old 03-05-2014, 08:41 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,087 times
There are also about 6 hotels on 1431/Whitestone in Cedar Park including a Candlewood, La Quinta and Motel 6. All are in a good neighborhood and within about a mile of each other very close to 183 for access to downtown as well as the Metro.

The Hampton near the mall is also a decent neighborhood and the Lakeline and Leander Metro stations both have parking

Old 03-05-2014, 08:57 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Hotel rooms, vacation rentals, and airbnb will all be booked and at their highest rates for the entire year!! It is SXSW!! We are full.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:07 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Can't speak to the accommodations, but Lakeline area is a good option. The trains may be pretty full, though. Personally I recommend the Arboretum area, there is usually something available (several hotels there) and it is closer to downtown. You'd need to drive or take the bus downtown from there. The Arboretum area also might be easier for other things you might want to do in Austin -- especially if they are in the west/hill country area. You can take 360 south for a nice drive if you have anything planned in Southwest Austin.

You might also look at "specialty lodging" on tripadvisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g3...as-Hotels.html. Look for small hotels or B&Bs with no online booking option, then just call them up. If there are any last minute vacancies, that's the way to find them.

As for free/no-badge events, there are LOTS of them during SXSW. They may even outnumber the official events. Here is a good searchable list of just the public/free stuff: 2014 SXSW Side Parties | Austin360

Or just get yourself downtown and walk around. You'll find something. Are you coming during the interactive part or the music part?

Old 03-05-2014, 09:10 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,084 times
Everything within 20 miles of the CBD has been booked for months.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the replies. We will be there Saturday (March 8) through Tuesday (March 11).

So if I understand correct, if we stay in Lakeline/Cedar Park we can take the train to the downtown Austin station.

However, if we stay in the Arboretum area we will need to drive downtown - if so, how about parking, I presume it will be very difficult to find parking downtown.

It is our first trip to Houston, but here are some things we want to do:

1) Walk around downtown to soak in the ambience and maybe listen to some music - We do not drink but I presume we can still enjoy

2) Have a meal at the main 'Whole Foods' in Austin - just something on our wish list

3) Visit a nice park or some outdoor area to take a stroll for an hour or so

4) Is lake Travis worth visiting in this weather? We are not very outdoorsy type, but enjoy nature

5) Any other suggestions!

And of course any accommodation location suggestions too!

Anyone need anything from Houston?

Thanks,
Andrew
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin