Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 05:38 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times

Advertisements

Houston’s MetroRail shows the way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 08:12 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,903 times
Houston's MetroRail is great! DART is Dallas is an ever better rail system and has been very successful. There are several different lines going to the far edge of the cities

Old 03-07-2014, 06:08 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
I was already under the impression that this is what Austin needs to do. Apart from the hills, Austin's layout of dense corridors lends itself well to the streetcar/light-rail model, and you don't even have to take a lane out of commission to do it.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:38 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
and you don't even have to take a lane out of commission to do it.
That absolutely doesn't match the proposal. Everyone pushing for G/L rail has plans that would require removing lanes (sometimes the majority of lanes).

Old 03-07-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Everyone pushing for G/L rail has plans that would require removing lanes (sometimes the majority of lanes).
Isn't that true of any configuration N of the river - including San Jacinto/RR, as proposed by Project Connect?

Old 03-07-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Isn't that true of any configuration N of the river - including San Jacinto/RR, as proposed by Project Connect?
I'm not aware that they've released (or even planned?) how much of the proposed route is shared vs. exclusive, and of the exclusive, how much is lane reductions or narrowing and how much (if any) is property acquisition.

Technically, I think they're still holding onto the fig leaf that "it could be bus".

Old 03-07-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I'm not aware that they've released (or even planned?) how much of the proposed route is shared vs. exclusive, and of the exclusive, how much is lane reductions or narrowing and how much (if any) is property acquisition.

Technically, I think they're still holding onto the fig leaf that "it could be bus".
My only point is, that I don't see how you put any rail system onto the streets of Austin - G/L, or San Jac/Red River - w/o taking out lanes. It isn't restricted to just one routing. And as far as "exclusive v. shared", then all you have done is put a very expensive mode in the same flow as traffic.

I'd love to see this from the river to the N Lamar transit center, in the "downtown" configuration from UT and south, and dedicated lanes N of there, with limited cross streets (38th, 51st, N Loop, Koenig, Airport, etc). Intermodal center @ Crestview to transfer to UT or the Capitol complex. Great stuff.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
My only point is, that I don't see how you put any rail system onto the streets of Austin - G/L, or San Jac/Red River - w/o taking out lanes. It isn't restricted to just one routing.
But the conditions on the ground vary between the various routes. Some routes have extra room in segments. Some routes have adjacent land that can be taken through eminent domain, some don't. Some land can't be taken through eminent domain (anything owned by UT/the state), while for others the expense varies.

So no, it's not restricted to one routing, but some routes might (for instance) require taking 3/4 of the lanes of one of the heaviest used arterials, when some might only require taking a single lane somewhere else.

Quote:
And as far as "exclusive v. shared", then all you have done is put a very expensive mode in the same flow as traffic.
But the traffic flow _isn't_ the same everywhere. Some places its gridlocked, some places its fairly free-flowing even during rush hour (compare guadalupe through campus vs. Lamar north of 2222). Why go to the additional expense (either literally or the reduced throughput) of an exclusive lane in those areas where a shared lane (or a shared lane with a queue-jumper at a light) will have similar performance characteristics?

Quote:
I'd love to see this from the river to the N Lamar transit center,
There's arguments for going north on Lamar through 183 to the transit center, but there's also arguments against it (especially if they end up moving the transit center). There's also arguments for instead going NW from crestview through the rail right of way, which lets you serve Pickle/Domain/NorthBurnetGateway and eventually McNeil. (all of which will eventually have density far above Lamar north of 183).

Old 03-07-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
BuBut the traffic flow _isn't_ the same everywhere. Some places its gridlocked, some places its fairly free-flowing even during rush hour (compare guadalupe through campus vs. Lamar north of 2222).
You weren't talking about G/L, you were talking about the PC routing - which will have almost no free flowing segments N of the river - and if it does, it is horribly restricted, twisting (San Jac through campus). It will be nothing but a VERY expensive streetcar.

Also, I'm not married to the Transit Center - just that it is a logical place for transfers from Metro Express off 183, not to mention the acres of parking under the elevated sections. If it becomes the terminus of LR, you will lose all that parking anyway. It is for transfers, not P&R.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
You weren't talking about G/L, you were talking about the PC routing -
I was using the comparison of those two segments as an _example_ (since, you know, we're in a topic about G/L). I don't know as much about the traffic flows of the PC proposed routes (personally, I drive on Lamar), but I'd be surprised if the routes up near Highland see as much volume as the sections through campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin