U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 08:04 AM

8 posts, read 33,572 times

Advertisements

Which do you prefer?

My child has only attended traditional preschools, but there is an opening at a Montessori school nearby. Several people have told me that I should jump at the opportunity. We recently moved from a town where there are no Montessori schools, so I am not sure which is better.

Any feedback you can give will be helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 08:18 AM

6,095 posts, read 15,351,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdean View Post
Which do you prefer?

My child has only attended traditional preschools, but there is an opening at a Montessori school nearby. Several people have told me that I should jump at the opportunity. We recently moved from a town where there are no Montessori schools, so I am not sure which is better.

Any feedback you can give will be helpful. Thanks.
You just need to decide whether the Montessori way is a good fit for your kid. Montessori is a "child directed" environment where the children have a very large say in the specific tasks and activities that they perform throughout the day. This is wonderful for some kids while others will just stand around wondering what to do and feel lost.

Compare that to the Waldorf School, where the envirnment is very much a "teacher directed" environment because of the belief that the child has inherent natural rhythms that should be respected, and thus the day is designed around those rhythms and honoring the stage of life that the kids are in.

Neither can be conclusively declared "better" than the other, but one is probably a better "fit" for your particular child.
Steve

Old 12-05-2007, 09:21 AM

106 posts, read 354,676 times
I think that you should base the type of preschool you send him/her to upon what kind of elementary school you're planning to send them to. Preschool prepares a child for elementary school, and so starting with the type of system that you plan to continue with would be less confusing for your child.

If your child will be attending a standard public school, then traditional preschool would be a good option, since it will teach them to follow certain rules during certain times of the day.

If you plan for a Montessori education after preschool, then you may as well start there.

Preschool, in general, is simply to help your child gain the social and behavioral (sp?) skills to ready them for kindergarten, and I'm sure whichever you choose, your child will flourish.

Good luck!

Old 12-05-2007, 10:02 AM

12,736 posts, read 28,723,575 times
This is a very child (and parent) dependent question. I have a co-worker whose older child (~6 y/o) is in Mont. School. The child is extremely bright but has some challenges, from a temperment standpoint, but has thrived in Mont. School. The parents are of the opinion (and I personally would agree) that public school for her would be a disaster for her.

On the other hand, her younger sister (~4 y/o) will probably not go to Mont. School because she prefers more direction. She is a perfectly intelligent child, but she is so laid back that she may end up adrift in Mont. school system. The structure of the public schools will probably benefit her at this stage in her life.

Also, realize that there is a wide variety of mont. schools and how they approach education.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:30 AM

6,095 posts, read 15,351,564 times
Quote:
Also, realize that there is a wide variety of mont. schools and how they approach education.
Hmmm, all of the Mont schools should be following the same core tenets. I think it's required in order to use the Montessori name. There would certainly be regional and other differences, but I'd be suprised if one was starkley different than another in the pedegogical approach followed.
Steve

Old 12-05-2007, 01:52 PM

12,736 posts, read 28,723,575 times
My example would be Austin Montessori vs. Cedars Montessori, which althought their core teaching tenets may be the same, there is a wide variety of peripheral tenets that vary - TV, food, etc. that each school allows is quite varied. One school (not sure the name) does not teach reading until several years later than is 'typcial'. I have no idea on the benefits or negatives of any of these methods, but the school experience can be quite different.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:45 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,223,770 times
As an elementary school teacher in a traditional private school, it's very difficult to transition "most" montessori kids into a traditional school. They are used to a child centered setting and most do have a tough time following a more structured enviroment. Not all, though.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:59 AM

8 posts, read 33,572 times
Thanks so much for all of your comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin