Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 09:36 AM

13 posts, read 26,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
You're not wrong, but good schools aren't exclusive to Leander. They're all over the place. Living in Leander and commuting down to GM would be a HUGE mistake.

Tons of other options that would be half the distance.
RoadWarrior - you make a good point. The closest city to GM is Pflugerville. And I did some research on it, but when it came down to school ratings, the research kind of faded away. However Pflugerville is still on our list. Pflugerville is 9 miles away from GM. What can you tell me about Pflugerville ? we can start from the questions i asked above.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 10:08 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
If you're open to other areas, I would personally rule out the city of Leander and focus on closer areas of Round Rock to GM. Neighborhoods like Forest Creek and Sonoma would be at the top of my list, but again, without a price range, we're all just guessing.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:09 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,222,523 times
I can't help with the commute aspect. My Hubs goes to Round Rock via the 45 toll road, my son goes to far south Austin and leaves by 6:30 a.m. every day. My commute is opposite, I head West.

We settled on Leander before we knew son was going to be returning to the nest to attend grad school, his commute is the nastiest there is but he makes it work. He leaves early, goes to the gym after class and heads home after the main crunch if he doesn't make it out before 3:30 or so. This works just fine for him.

We have been here in Leander for a year and we really like it. Our focus was keeping my commute under an hour (its 52 minutes) and we wanted Leander high school for our DD. We chose Leander for several reasons. The commute was doable, the school system was good (sure, there are "better" but there are also worst) Leander offered what we were looking for along with housing we could afford. Leander offered every amenity we wanted with shopping, theaters, restaurants as well as a quick drive into the peace and quiet of the hill country.

Leander also offered a community feel we were used to, not too big, not too small with families of all ages and combinations. In our neighborhood we don't have a lot of young families, we also don't have the attractive to young families amenities (pools and parks) we have a mixture of families with teens, retired folks and many empty nesters. There are several communities that have a variety of amenities, it depends on what you want, what you want to spend etc.

The schools are very subjective, what I want is not necessarily what someone else wants and in all honesty school ratings are just a tool. The attitude, the feel and the fit is really hard to know until you are in it. We learned the hard way when we first came to TX. We moved very rural where the company I relocated with was at. Thankfully we rented a house while we were selling our NV house. We put our then 7th grade DD into an Exemplary Rated school and learned that just because its a great school does not mean its a good fit. We were outsiders in a small rural community. My DD's bus ride to school was 90 minutes each way and we lived 30 minutes from her school itself.

Now we live less than a mile from DD's school, she has friends in our neighborhood, she has access to many different courses and electives and is happy. Her current school is not rated exemplary but she is so much happier, she fits in and overall due to the extensive electives as well as the IB and AP program she will get more out of a school that is not rated at the very top than she would have from the top rated but significantly smaller rural school.

There is a metrorail station here in Leander. I have used it along with my teenage daughter a few times to go to conventions downtown. When the timing works, its a pretty nice system but there is only one line, it has limited runs and can require extensive planning to make it work well. There is no Sunday rail at all and no Saturday out of Leander, one must go to the Lakeline station. IMO the system is okay for a limited group of 8-5'ers that commute to specific areas of Austin and are willing to trade drive time for train/bus/walk time. Its convenient for a Friday night out but the last Friday night train departs downtown Austin at 12:30, the venues close at 2 am so again, not completely useful if one wants to close downtown.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:11 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
While schools in Pflugerville aren't as consistent as LISD, there are a number of good-great tracks you can find quite easily.

Apart from that, the two are relatively similar. Very suburban, big-box stores conveniently located, etc.

Leander might have a few more hills - PVille will have a water park very soon.

Pricing might be a bit lower on the Pflugerville side.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:41 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramamni View Post
RoadWarrior - you make a good point. The closest city to GM is Pflugerville. And I did some research on it, but when it came down to school ratings, the research kind of faded away. However Pflugerville is still on our list. Pflugerville is 9 miles away from GM. What can you tell me about Pflugerville ? we can start from the questions i asked above.

Thanks
I've written quite a detailed post about pflugerville the last time you inquired. My area, northeast pflugerville, has very highly rated schools that are on par with Leander ISD. The elementary murchison is rated 10, the middle school 9 and the high school 8. There is abundant retail, low crime, and excellent quality of life. All of this and you can find yourself a great home for 200-300k. I've lived here for almost a decade and I have no intention of leaving. Ruling out pflugerville in my opinion would be a mistake. No offense but it boggles the mind why you'd choose a farther out suburb that is in no way different than pflugerville. Don't add more time onto your commute than you have to.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:35 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramamni View Post
The only reason to live in Leander is because of the schools. From my research Leander has very good school ratings. or am I wrong ?
Yes.

LISD offers some great schools but, as others have said, you don't need to live IN Leander proper to attend LISD schools. Same goes for other districts and towns. We live in NW Austin, frequent the Great Hills Costco and attend arguably the one of the two best school tracks in all of Austin (just based on ratings) and our schools are RRISD but we do not live in Round Rock.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:56 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
LISD offers some great schools but, as others have said, you don't need to live IN Leander proper to attend LISD schools. Same goes for other districts and towns.
I think the OP's confusion stems from the nature of our school districts. In Virginia, schools are just a department of another political body, like a city or county. So if you live in Fairfax county, you attend Fairfax schools. Not the same here. Just try looking for an "Eanes" mailing address.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:01 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I think the OP's confusion stems from the nature of our school districts. In Virginia, schools are just a department of another political body, like a city or county. So if you live in Fairfax county, you attend Fairfax schools. Not the same here. Just try looking for an "Eanes" mailing address.
Very true... and it's not just VA, all the other places I've encountered approach it in the same way too. It's confusing for sure.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Wait, I am trying to understand, So just to reconfirm, you guys are saying if I lived in pflugerville for example my kids can attend a school in RR or GT ?? Yes in VA, if you live in Fairfax, you have to attend a fairfax school.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I've written quite a detailed post about pflugerville the last time you inquired. My area, northeast pflugerville, has very highly rated schools that are on par with Leander ISD. The elementary murchison is rated 10, the middle school 9 and the high school 8. There is abundant retail, low crime, and excellent quality of life. All of this and you can find yourself a great home for 200-300k. I've lived here for almost a decade and I have no intention of leaving. Ruling out pflugerville in my opinion would be a mistake. No offense but it boggles the mind why you'd choose a farther out suburb that is in no way different than pflugerville. Don't add more time onto your commute than you have to.
Thanks for your input. I am really considering pflugerville because its only 9 miles away from work. And I can buy a Gehan home for less than 300k for sure (brand new). Also, from my research, pflugerville is much cheaper than the other cities around it. My family and I are flying down there mid April to check out pflugerville, RR, and GT. It seems everyone is telling me its a mistake to live that far out from where I will be working. I guess i have to fly down and see the traffic myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin