Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 10:47 PM

89 posts, read 120,836 times

Advertisements

Happy evening all! I'm a single 30 year old Chicago musician (who has and is willing to also work a "real job" ) considering a move to either Austin or Nashville in May/June. Chicago has been good overall but I'm starting to get a bit restless and the music scene up here is primarily "indie" and cover bands...not a whole lot of original bands, the live music venues around here are slowly drying up in favor of karaoke/DJ's, and the recording industry here is pretty weak compared to other places like NYC, LA, Nashville, etc. I've played with some cats that currently live in both Austin and Nashville and have spoken with them about their towns, and the general feeling is that both towns have exponentially more of a live music presence than Chicago does currently.

Would anyone here care to weigh in with their thoughts on the live music culture and general "livability" of Austin (and/or Nashville). I have a job that I can do from home so commute won't be too much of an issue, but I'd like to live somewhere that a 30 year old white guy (me) can make friends and maybe meet a wonderful Texas woman to think about settling down with. Is it possible to find studios or 1 bedroom apartments in decent areas for $1200 per month after utilities? Trendy areas aren't paramount though it would be nice, but walkable to cool areas would be a definite bonus. Mainly I'd like to be somewhere safe that I don't have to worry about muggings or home burglaries, but am not quite ready to get myself a small house out in Hill Country.

I own a car, have no debt and love to go to the beach, hiking and backpacking when able. I'm a Christian and have played the church circuit a few towns that I've lived in, and would also be looking for a non-denominational church with some good music to get involved with at some point. I'd be very open to touring with Austin groups if an option at all. I'd also like to settle down and get marries within the next 2-5 years, but my experiences living in Dallas and Oklahoma City in my early 20's told me that generally Texans get married and stay married by 24...is that the case in Austin?

Now, I used to live in Dallas and my family is currently spread out from Houston to San Antonio to DFW to El Paso...I am WELL AWARE of how hot it can get in the summer! Also if you could recommend any different areas or bars/venues to check out in Austin to meet locals and get a feel for the real Austin I would very much appreciate it!

So to sum up:

-Is a housing allowance of $1200 after utilities for studios/1 bedrooms in decent Austin areas for a single guy realistic?
-Does a 30 year old single guy (straight, no kids) have any chance of finding a good Texas woman, or are they all taken?
-Is the live music scene thriving (not counting SXSW) and growing?

Disclaimers: I have searched different threads for some of these answers and will continue to do so, but I though I'd post my own thread as well. I have ZERO intention of coming to Austin and complaining that it isn't like Chicago or trying to change the vibe of the town, but I know that I will have an adjustment period to get through. If I am off base in any of my assumptions I assure you it is out of a lack of experience or firsthand knowledge, not presumptions or stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 12:28 AM

997 posts, read 1,311,653 times
$1200 is somewhat feasible, but not downtown. I couldn't a few years ago at least and settled on paying more.

So many people in your position are moving here nearly every day with the same requirements. Since you will be new why not try to find roommate(s) and learn the lay of the land while saving?

Old 03-27-2014, 09:07 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times
In the 70s, Nashville was the more flashy, corporate, expensive and less personable city. Now Austin beats it out by far. Take that for what it's worth.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:43 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper27 View Post
Happy evening all! I'm a single 30 year old Chicago musician (who has and is willing to also work a "real job" ) considering a move to either Austin or Nashville in May/June. Chicago has been good overall but I'm starting to get a bit restless and the music scene up here is primarily "indie" and cover bands...not a whole lot of original bands, the live music venues around here are slowly drying up in favor of karaoke/DJ's, and the recording industry here is pretty weak compared to other places like NYC, LA, Nashville, etc. I've played with some cats that currently live in both Austin and Nashville and have spoken with them about their towns, and the general feeling is that both towns have exponentially more of a live music presence than Chicago does currently.

Would anyone here care to weigh in with their thoughts on the live music culture and general "livability" of Austin (and/or Nashville). I have a job that I can do from home so commute won't be too much of an issue, but I'd like to live somewhere that a 30 year old white guy (me) can make friends and maybe meet a wonderful Texas woman to think about settling down with. Is it possible to find studios or 1 bedroom apartments in decent areas for $1200 per month after utilities? Trendy areas aren't paramount though it would be nice, but walkable to cool areas would be a definite bonus. Mainly I'd like to be somewhere safe that I don't have to worry about muggings or home burglaries, but am not quite ready to get myself a small house out in Hill Country.

I own a car, have no debt and love to go to the beach, hiking and backpacking when able. I'm a Christian and have played the church circuit a few towns that I've lived in, and would also be looking for a non-denominational church with some good music to get involved with at some point. I'd be very open to touring with Austin groups if an option at all. I'd also like to settle down and get marries within the next 2-5 years, but my experiences living in Dallas and Oklahoma City in my early 20's told me that generally Texans get married and stay married by 24...is that the case in Austin?

Now, I used to live in Dallas and my family is currently spread out from Houston to San Antonio to DFW to El Paso...I am WELL AWARE of how hot it can get in the summer! Also if you could recommend any different areas or bars/venues to check out in Austin to meet locals and get a feel for the real Austin I would very much appreciate it!

So to sum up:

-Is a housing allowance of $1200 after utilities for studios/1 bedrooms in decent Austin areas for a single guy realistic?
-Does a 30 year old single guy (straight, no kids) have any chance of finding a good Texas woman, or are they all taken?
-Is the live music scene thriving (not counting SXSW) and growing?

Disclaimers: I have searched different threads for some of these answers and will continue to do so, but I though I'd post my own thread as well. I have ZERO intention of coming to Austin and complaining that it isn't like Chicago or trying to change the vibe of the town, but I know that I will have an adjustment period to get through. If I am off base in any of my assumptions I assure you it is out of a lack of experience or firsthand knowledge, not presumptions or stereotypes.
You'll love it. Yes, you can find an apartment in central Austin for under $1,000. Yes, there are plenty of women (some of them are even TEXAS women). Yes, the music scene is thriving--hundreds of bands play every single night.

I'm a musician with a day job (I've been here since 1984) and my BF is also a musician with a day job who moved here from Chicago a couple of years ago.

great bars for drinking:
Yellow Jacket Social Club
The Grackle
Draught Horse (beer only)

for live music:
Continental Club
Hole in the Wall
The White Horse

soooooo many others--don't want to overwhelm you

Old 03-27-2014, 10:03 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,858 times
Stay away from the bars on East 6th Street between IH35 and Congress Avenue. They are full of tourists, frat boys, and wannabe thugs.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:49 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
for live music:
Continental Club
Hole in the Wall
The White Horse
Saxon Pub

Old 03-29-2014, 09:12 PM

Thank you everyone for the responses thus far! I'm sorry I've been MIA, been playing out a bit and taking care of business to close up shop here in Chicago.

I'm going to try to get down to Austin sometime in late April to get a boots-on-the-ground view of the city, and will try to hit up some bars that you all have mentioned. Would you say that the general vibe of the city is friendly for new transplants, or is there a bit of a barrier to break through when meeting locals and attempting to make friends? Also, would anyone be willing to offer their point of view on what areas of town are primarily filled with hipsters, families, yuppies, sports-bar crowd, etc.? Or maybe that doesn't make such a difference in Austin in determining where people hang out (it certainly does in Chicago)?

Oh and musicians...are people open to jamming and making contacts with new musicians down there? I'm sure that there's some competition and I wouldn't presume that I won't have to pay any dues to get in some circles, but it would help to know if people are generally welcoming or hostile to others moving into the area looking for gigs and groups (right now I'm primarily a hired gun/sideman but would definitely consider joining a band or three again).

Old 03-31-2014, 09:09 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,049 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone for the responses thus far! I'm sorry I've been MIA, been playing out a bit and taking care of business to close up shop here in Chicago.

I'm going to try to get down to Austin sometime in late April to get a boots-on-the-ground view of the city, and will try to hit up some bars that you all have mentioned. Would you say that the general vibe of the city is friendly for new transplants, or is there a bit of a barrier to break through when meeting locals and attempting to make friends? Also, would anyone be willing to offer their point of view on what areas of town are primarily filled with hipsters, families, yuppies, sports-bar crowd, etc.? Or maybe that doesn't make such a difference in Austin in determining where people hang out (it certainly does in Chicago)?

Oh and musicians...are people open to jamming and making contacts with new musicians down there? I'm sure that there's some competition and I wouldn't presume that I won't have to pay any dues to get in some circles, but it would help to know if people are generally welcoming or hostile to others moving into the area looking for gigs and groups (right now I'm primarily a hired gun/sideman but would definitely consider joining a band or three again).
I'm a musician in Austin. If you're looking to make contacts here, you might want to check out the Austin Music Foundation.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:48 AM

Thanks passionatearts!

I'm in Austin over this weekend and will be wandering about town. Anyone have any suggestions for something cool to do this weekend? Farmer's Markets, shows, festivals?

Old 04-10-2014, 12:04 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Quote:
I'm in Austin over this weekend and will be wandering about town. Anyone have any suggestions for something cool to do this weekend? Farmer's Markets, shows, festivals?
The Mueller Farmer's Market is open from 10-2 on Sunday and normally has a band along with a few food trucks.

Mueller Farmers Market | Texas Farmers Market

The Central Market grocery store on North Lamar has bands. You can see the schedule below the map at this link if you scroll down. The café there is a great place to get some good food and sit out on the patio. You can even go buy a beer inside the grocery store first to have with your meal.

Central Market North Lamar - Reviews & Menu in Austin - Austin360.com | Austin American-Statesman

The Austin 360 link above has a lot of events around town listed as well. Also check out the calendar on the Chronicle:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/calendar/2014-04-12/

Last edited by mark311; 04-10-2014 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: added link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin