Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:13 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times

Advertisements

However, many mortgage lenders will not waive the appraisal, since it's their money, too; that means that the buyer who waive the appraisal (and that's a foolish thing for a buyer to do - hopefully their agent will advise them of that) needs to have lots of cash up front to make up the difference if it's not a full cash offer. Lots of variables that go into this kind of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 08:32 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Yes, in this market, it is highly likely that the seller is leaving money on the table if the listing is not fully exposed through MLS. That said, many sellers are motivated by something different than "top dollar". Most do want top dollar, but there are legitimate reasons why some value "sales process avoidance", and/or favorable terms (such as a lease-back, quick/delayed close, etc) more as long as they are getting an acceptable amount.

The length of exposure needed is just one weekend. 2 or 3 weeks is an old, stale listing in current conditions. The best strategy is to list it on a Thursday or Friday and select an offer Sunday night or monday morning from the ones that come in.

Steve
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Old 04-01-2014, 08:37 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Actually, I have realtors cold call me and write letters, asking if I have considered putting my home on the market! There is quite a bit of that going on my neighborhood right now. There are efforts to keep track of who might put on a home on the market in some hot areas at affordable price points over the next year.

Sometimes buyers write letters directly too! Sometimes they are sweet and a bit sad, other times, they sound like they are on their way over to order you out of your home!
I've had this experience too in the Zilker area. I've had realtors leave gifts on my doorstep (coupons for free dinners, little mini coolers, etc) and have had people straight up knock on my door and hand me letters asking if I'd sell. My house isn't even anything special, in fact it's probably one of the most run down in the neighborhood...but it's all about the location.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:54 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
The length of exposure needed is just one weekend. 2 or 3 weeks is an old, stale listing in current conditions. The best strategy is to list it on a Thursday or Friday and select an offer Sunday night or monday morning from the ones that come in.

Steve
But then you are only getting people who happened to spot it that exact weekend right? Wouldn't I want to let three weeks of people have a chance to spot it and form an offer? What if the people who spot it next weekend really, really want it and will make a 2% higher offer than anyone else?

Old 04-01-2014, 08:58 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Quote:
But then you are only getting people who happened to spot it that exact weekend right? Wouldn't I want to let three weeks of people have a chance to spot it and form an offer? What if the people who spot it next weekend really, really want it and will make a 2% higher offer than anyone else?
Probably generally true, but the really serious people now are getting instant notification of new houses on the MLS. If they are 'missing' a weekend, then they are not going to be getting a house in the current conditions, or so it seems. The people that are buying do so withing a day or two and are (likely) offering top dollar because they know how competitive it currently is.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:19 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Probably generally true, but the really serious people now are getting instant notification of new houses on the MLS. If they are 'missing' a weekend, then they are not going to be getting a house in the current conditions, or so it seems. The people that are buying do so withing a day or two and are (likely) offering top dollar because they know how competitive it currently is.
This is very true. We had instant notification when we were looking two years ago and were in the car for a drive by -- if not for a showing -- within two hours of being listed. We didn't have a choice in the matter -- everyone else interested in our area was operating in the same manner. Fast-forward two years to now and available homes in our neighborhood now go on the market and have a constant stream of cars (showings) throughout the day and evening -- back-to-back-- and the competing buyers/agents all wave at each other as they come and go. I've never seen anything like it.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:24 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Exactly my experience and that of other agents I've talked with personally.

All it takes is missing out on a house or two because you didn't move fast enough or thought you'd see how little you can get it for for serious buyers to start making good offers immediately.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:25 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
...not sure on the Good Offers part...I know if is all relative, but some of what I am seeing is awful fizzy and foamy, if not actually bubbly...

Old 04-01-2014, 09:28 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
However, many mortgage lenders will not waive the appraisal, since it's their money, too; that means that the buyer who waive the appraisal (and that's a foolish thing for a buyer to do - hopefully their agent will advise them of that) needs to have lots of cash up front to make up the difference if it's not a full cash offer. Lots of variables that go into this kind of thing.
You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. It's not up to the lender. The lender only cares about the LTV ratio.

If I have $200K cash, and I'm buying a $400K home with 20% down ($80K of my cash), then I'm borrowing $320K based on a $400K value. If I go into multiple offers on that listing and offer $425K with the appraisal waived, all I'm saying is that if the home only appraises for $400K, I'm ok with that and will increase my downpayment by $25K. The mortgage company has no say in this whatsoever, they only care about the loan to value (LTV) ratio.

Of course it would be stupid for a buyer who only has $80K cash to waive the appraisal of bidding up past what they can afford, but that's what makes that buyer a weaker buyer and the one who can waive the appraisal a stronger buyer, though still not as strong as an all-cash buyer.

Steve

Old 04-01-2014, 09:33 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Quote:
...not sure on the Good Offers part...I know if is all relative, but some of what I am seeing is awful fizzy and foamy, if not actually bubbly...
I actually think new permanent values are being set. Constricted supply in Austin is permanent, not temporary, and the buyer demand is actual real life legitimate demand from buyers who need somewhere to live, not the type of investor/flipper demand that occurred in the sand states during the sub-prime loan bubble.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin