Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 04:13 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
okay thanks... this isnt making much sense. I checked a few of the houses on the street and everyone has some amount called "Homestead Cap" but we dont. I applied for this like in January. Does anyone know why we wont have gotten a HS cap?
We applied last year in April. It wasn't reflected on the statement we received. It did show up later on the website and was reflected in our bill at the end of the year. Since you applied in January and it wasn't on the statement though, you should definitely call them and check on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 04:22 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Quote:
okay thanks... this isnt making much sense. I checked a few of the houses on the street and everyone has some amount called "Homestead Cap" but we dont. I applied for this like in January. Does anyone know why we wont have gotten a HS cap?
You can't have a cap until next year. Your first year you claim Homestead sets your value, and next year is when it can't increase more than 10%.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:59 PM

772 posts, read 1,060,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
You can't have a cap until next year. Your first year you claim Homestead sets your value, and next year is when it can't increase more than 10%.
okay, thanks.. but where is the HS exemption itself then, isnt that what the HS cap is? Because a house that is identical to ours on the same street is valued at $30K lower than ours with the HS cap. Based on this, are you saying that because its our 1st year here, we would be valued that much higher for an identical house?

Old 04-04-2014, 05:11 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
My 2 Leander rental houses increased 19%. I've never protested in WilCo because they've always been pretty close on assessed value, but now they're $10-$15K high.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:55 PM

772 posts, read 1,060,076 times
Quote:
You go to the county website, and you look up by street, and then you don't just look at the total value. You need to be looking at land value and improvement value. You compare your land value to your neighbors' and also compare improvement value.

For the unequal argument to work, you can't just find 2-3 properties valued low. You need to have a "representative" amount. Each arbitrator wants a different amount. I want to see at least 20% of the neighborhood or a minimum of 10 properties. A 500 house neighborhood, you need to show me 100 properties that are unequal to you. In a small community like 35 houses, you need to show a minimum of 10. Those are my rules. Other arbitrators might look at just 5-7, but that's not "representative" to me.

Let me see if I'm getting your digestion right.. So for my neighborhood in Avery Ranch that had probably a few hundred houses, I would need to get the assessed value of potentially about a third of the houses for it to work for you? So with identical houses all built within 5 - 8 years ago, shouldn't it be expected that the value should be similar? Also a an identical house on the same street that sold and closed in January also has the HS cap ( if one doesn't get the HS cap in the 1st, then I wonder why they are getting it). I'm going to call wcad on Monday to ask if we actually getting the HS exemption to start with

Old 04-04-2014, 07:31 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times
Quote:
...I'm going to call wcad on Monday to ask if we actually getting the HS exemption to start with

Yes, be sure to ask them if it's effective this year. I could have sworn that after we filed in April last year that we ended up receiving the homestead exemption for 2013. Tried to look at history and couldn't really tell.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:56 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,758 times
Quote:
For the unequal argument to work, you can't just find 2-3 properties valued low. You need to have a "representative" amount. Each arbitrator wants a different amount. I want to see at least 20% of the neighborhood or a minimum of 10 properties. A 500 house neighborhood, you need to show me 100 properties that are unequal to you. In a small community like 35 houses, you need to show a minimum of 10. Those are my rules. Other arbitrators might look at just 5-7, but that's not "representative" to me.
Wow. You are essentially admitting that you are not following either Texas statute or existing case law on the subject. Your standard is utterly without merit and offensive.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Let me see if I'm getting your digestion right.. So for my neighborhood in Avery Ranch that had probably a few hundred houses, I would need to get the assessed value of potentially about a third of the houses for it to work for you? So with identical houses all built within 5 - 8 years ago, shouldn't it be expected that the value should be similar? Also a an identical house on the same street that sold and closed in January also has the HS cap ( if one doesn't get the HS cap in the 1st, then I wonder why they are getting it). I'm going to call wcad on Monday to ask if we actually getting the HS exemption to start with
Her standard is completely ridiculous.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:00 PM

Using Assessment Comparables to Fight Unequal Property Taxes

Quote:
Preparing a Building Equity Analysis
The Texas Property Tax Code as revised in 2003 (Section 41.43 (b)) for appeals on equity in the administrative hearings is as follows:
(b) A protest on the ground of unequal appraisal of property shall be determined in favor of the protesting party unless the appraisal district establishes that... the appraised value of the property is equal to or less than the median appraised value of a reasonable number of comparable properties appropriately adjusted.

The primary issue is selection of a reasonable number of appropriately adjusted comparables. The first step is to locate a group of comparables to consider. As a property owner, you likely are aware of your direct and indirect competitors. Most presentations on equity use five to ten comparables. In some cases it is appropriate to use more and in some cases there are not as many as five comparable properties which are reasonably proximate. Determining the reasonable number of comparables depends on judgement and the fact situation.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:01 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
When we filed for our homestead exemption in Williamson County (we had somehow missed filing for it but already had our ag for all but two acres of the property), it was not only effective for the year we filed but rolled back one year since we'd been living there on January 1 of that year. Not sure quite why, but that's how they did it.

When you buy a house during a year, the tax valuation (and exemptions) that are already on the house are in effect for that year (assuming you didn't buy it on January 1 or something). You need to file for your own homestead exemption after January 1 of the following year. If the house already had a homestead exemption when you bought it, that homestead exemption lasts until December 31 of the year you purchased it, in other words, and then you have to get your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin