Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 10:22 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times

Advertisements

I don't live in Travis County, but I'm doing a happy dance because I just found out my daughters school is rated "recognized".

I can agree with the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 07:13 AM

48 posts, read 90,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowbob View Post
I'm looking relocate from Los Angeles to a college town. I've narrowed it down to Austin & Fayetteville, AR. I've read great things about both towns. Which is better?
If you have school age children, you should read this, straight out of the Austin newspaper:

Education commissioner: Austin could do better

Austin trustees expected to vote on plan to reopen Pearce Middle School at Monday meeting.

By Laura Heinauer
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Saturday, August 01, 2009
State Education Commissioner Robert Scott made it clear Friday that he was not impressed with the Austin school district's efforts at turning around several of its struggling campuses and said he likely will order the closure of Reagan High School in 2010 — as he did Pearce Middle School last month — if the campus doesn't demonstrate dramatic improvement.
At a news conference Friday during which the Texas Education Agency released ratings for every public school district and campus in the state, Scott lauded the work done at some districts but criticized Austin, which had nine academically unacceptable campuses, the lowest rating in the state's school accountability system.
Austin's Reagan High was rated unacceptable Friday for the fourth consecutive year. Pearce received the state's lowest marks for eight of the past 10 years. And Eastside Memorial High School, at the former Johnston High School campus, missed the mark again after being ordered closed in June 2008.
"In Fort Worth and in Dallas, we are seeing the accountablity system working," Scott said, noting the strides made at Houston's Sam Houston High School, a campus that was closed and reopened with new faculty and a new mission last year. Houston High achieved the second-highest rating, recognized, this year.
"I would say to the (Austin school) district, 'We need to get serious. I know it's going to take you some time, but I'd like to see the commitment. I'd like to see the dedication. I'd like to see Sam Houston High School, in Houston ISD, right here in Austin.' "
Austin administrators Friday posted on the district's Web site a plan to "repurpose" Pearce with staff changes, including the replacement of all eighth grade science teachers and the principal, and a new vision. The school board is expected to review the plan Monday and, if trustees approve it, the district will send it to Scott for his approval.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:14 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyBlue View Post
If you have school age children, you should read this, straight out of the Austin newspaper:

Education commissioner: Austin could do better

Austin trustees expected to vote on plan to reopen Pearce Middle School at Monday meeting.

By Laura Heinauer
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Saturday, August 01, 2009
State Education Commissioner Robert Scott made it clear Friday that he was not impressed with the Austin school district's efforts at turning around several of its struggling campuses and said he likely will order the closure of Reagan High School in 2010 — as he did Pearce Middle School last month — if the campus doesn't demonstrate dramatic improvement.
At a news conference Friday during which the Texas Education Agency released ratings for every public school district and campus in the state, Scott lauded the work done at some districts but criticized Austin, which had nine academically unacceptable campuses, the lowest rating in the state's school accountability system.
Austin's Reagan High was rated unacceptable Friday for the fourth consecutive year. Pearce received the state's lowest marks for eight of the past 10 years. And Eastside Memorial High School, at the former Johnston High School campus, missed the mark again after being ordered closed in June 2008.
"In Fort Worth and in Dallas, we are seeing the accountablity system working," Scott said, noting the strides made at Houston's Sam Houston High School, a campus that was closed and reopened with new faculty and a new mission last year. Houston High achieved the second-highest rating, recognized, this year.
"I would say to the (Austin school) district, 'We need to get serious. I know it's going to take you some time, but I'd like to see the commitment. I'd like to see the dedication. I'd like to see Sam Houston High School, in Houston ISD, right here in Austin.' "
Austin administrators Friday posted on the district's Web site a plan to "repurpose" Pearce with staff changes, including the replacement of all eighth grade science teachers and the principal, and a new vision. The school board is expected to review the plan Monday and, if trustees approve it, the district will send it to Scott for his approval.
The article is specifically about the problem schools in AISD and does not take into account the many wonderful schools in AISD as well as the surrounding communities. In other word, it's not the whole story.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:56 PM

13 posts, read 33,197 times
C'mon guys I think we all know that Austin blows any town in Arkansas out of the water.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 08-02-2009 at 09:13 PM..

Old 08-02-2009, 06:51 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,239,725 times
I thought California was moving to Silicon Gulch?

Fayetteville is nice, but it is no Austin. Not even in the early days.
Where is the music scene in Fayetteville that would compare to the Armadillo World Headquarters?

Just because some guy on the internet claims Fayetteville is similar to an "earlier" Austin, does not make it true. Not even close. Not even on the same funky map.

To claim they are similar is a misrepresentation at best.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:51 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
Just to float another idea entirely -- why not Chapel Hill, NC?

Old 06-24-2010, 11:39 PM

731 posts, read 1,367,152 times
http://tylersaustin.com/ProductImages/kaw08/kaw-chob.jpg (broken link)

Which came first "Keep Fayetteville Funky" or "Keep Austin Weird"?

Old 06-25-2010, 06:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post

Which came first "Keep Fayetteville Funky" or "Keep Austin Weird"?
love it!!!

Nita

Old 06-25-2010, 04:01 PM

731 posts, read 1,367,152 times
I've lived in both towns. Fayetteville reminds me of Austin in the 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
I lived in Austin most of my life and went to Fayateville to visit and fell in love with it! It is a lot like Austin use to be; people are friendly and easy going, wages are comp to cost of living and there is lots of fun things to do. Austin has gotten pretty crowded and crazy. The cost of living is out of sight.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:48 PM

654 posts, read 1,909,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myhotradio View Post
C'mon guys I think we all know that Austin blows any town in Arkansas out of the water.
Have you been to Fayetteville? Arkansas is not all backwards like people on here like to stereotype. Fayetteville is quite nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin