Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 08:49 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times

Advertisements

OP - I live on the south shore of Lake Travis (since 1998) and in the Lake Travis area since mid 1980s.

Waterfront living on Lake Travis can be wonderful but it carries a potentially significant hassle factor depending on your shoreline and how you will deal with changing lake levels. The housing ranges from tightly controlled and manicured HOA neighorhoods to semi-rural areas like where I live. It is up to you whether you want homogeneity or not. I don't like HOAs, I don't like same-ville, and am willing to accept that the people around me have properties ranging from a 2BR lake house to 5000 sq. ft luxury. My home is something in between.

Lake Travis schools are very good - as are Eanes ISD (Westlake HS). Lake Travis has a better football team but Westlake has very good athletics overall. Major differences between the two school districts is that LT continues to grow in enrollment while Eanes is not. LT has more socioeconomic diversity than Eanes, but LT is still a "wealthy" school district - Eanes more so.

Lake Austin is constant level, and the water is cold to very cool as noted above. The lake is also narrow (looks like a river). So on weekends in the summer it can become a bit of an aquatic highway. On holiday weekends they do not allow any personal watercraft (jet skis) because of the traffic. Because of low water levels on Lake Travis and lake of usable public boat ramps, I would not be surprised if Lake Austin is more crowded than usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 09:12 AM

215 posts, read 351,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaccord1 View Post
I am thinking of relocating my family and business to Austin TX. I currently live in Thousand Oaks, CA and I am just very tired of the fake people, very expensive housing, teenage nonsense, acceptance of drugs, etc, etc. We are financially successful so housing cost is not a big problem just what we get for our money and lifestyle are very important to us. We are all outdoor types and love the water. So I needs some solid input on the following:

Best Schools both public and private for education, athletic and the least amount of over the top teenage nonsense.
Best areas to live on Lake Travis or Lake Austin
Best places near either lake that offer lots of amenities. Restaurants, Athletic Training Facilities, Shopping etc etc,
Best places on either lake that are know further than 45 minutes from the airport

I look forward to everyone's comments and thoughts.
I doubt it will be any different here. What makes you think Austin is any different?

Old 05-17-2014, 09:49 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Those times to the airport are really high. I drive from Spicewood to the airport often enough (just last week). The time from Spicewood to ABIA can be as short as 35 mins. Google maps says Bee Cave to ABIA is 31 minutes - I think that is realistic. So add the time to get to that intersection and you have a decent estimate of time to the airport. From Bee Cave there is really only one meaningful bottleneck to the airport - the intersection at SW parkway and 1. The "underpass" at 71 and Riverside is now open one way, eliminating the other big bottleneck.
I'm just going by the info from my oldest son who lived next to the Lakeway airport runway 15 years ago when ABIA opened.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:16 PM

88 posts, read 106,331 times
There are a lot of great areas on the lake. Lake Austin would be my 1st choice. Lake level, close to town, etc. The school is good and does have competitive sports, especially football and baseball. But a higher income bracket, mean some kids with entitlement issues and extra cash to get in trouble with.

Lake Travis still has plenty of water, good school, further out of town, but slower paced. Same issues with school, but a broader income range.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:03 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaccord1 View Post
I am thinking of relocating my family and business to Austin TX. I currently live in Thousand Oaks, CA and I am just very tired of the fake people, very expensive housing, teenage nonsense, acceptance of drugs, etc, etc. We are financially successful so housing cost is not a big problem just what we get for our money and lifestyle are very important to us. We are all outdoor types and love the water. So I needs some solid input on the following:

Best Schools both public and private for education, athletic and the least amount of over the top teenage nonsense.
Best areas to live on Lake Travis or Lake Austin
Best places near either lake that offer lots of amenities. Restaurants, Athletic Training Facilities, Shopping etc etc,
Best places on either lake that are know further than 45 minutes from the airport

I look forward to everyone's comments and thoughts.
Your fellow Californians already own the majority of the property out there. You should feel right at home.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:52 AM

152 posts, read 196,464 times
Our drought is serious and not looking to let up anytime soon so the lakes are hurting bad. I live on Lake Travis and its sad. I would come if I were you.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Your fellow Californians already own the majority of the property out there. You should feel right at home.
I don't think any of my neighbors are from California. The newcomers are typically from somewhere else in Texas.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:25 AM

615 posts, read 781,055 times
I have friends who have a waterfront vacation home on lake Austin and it is truly amazing. I would absolutely recommend it, if you have the funds. Keep in mind, a waterfront property on Lake Austin is going to run you $3-6 million, or more. Lake Travis is less expensive, but doesn't have a maintained lake level like lake Austin does. And it's pretty empty right now due to the drought. That does however mean that you could get a great deal on a property before the lake level returns, which I'm sure it will at some point.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:29 PM

10 posts, read 14,475 times
As a local Lakeway resident, one thing has not been pointed out about the comparison of Lakeway/Lake Travis HS vs Lake Austin/Westlake HS. There are actually areas in Lakeway ON Lake Austin that would provide access to the Lake Travis school system and constant water levels. Since Apache Shores runs much closer to the dam, traffic is a little lighter on that portion of Lake Austin but it is still cold water.
Personally, I find Lake Travis much more enjoyable, even when lake levels are low but that's only IF you can maintain access via private dock or marina. Its been years since a public ramp was open.....

Old 05-23-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laleighpop View Post
As a local Lakeway resident, one thing has not been pointed out about the comparison of Lakeway/Lake Travis HS vs Lake Austin/Westlake HS. There are actually areas in Lakeway ON Lake Austin that would provide access to the Lake Travis school system and constant water levels. Since Apache Shores runs much closer to the dam, traffic is a little lighter on that portion of Lake Austin but it is still cold water.
Personally, I find Lake Travis much more enjoyable, even when lake levels are low but that's only IF you can maintain access via private dock or marina. Its been years since a public ramp was open.....
I think you are making a common mistake of equating Lakeway to the broader Lake Travis area.

Lakeway is a city with specific boundaries. I am pretty certain it is not possible to live in Lakeway and have Lake Austin waterfront.

You can attend ISD schools living on Lake Austin - basically from Lakepointe to Mansfield Dam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin