Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,505 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating my family and business to Austin TX. I currently live in Thousand Oaks, CA and I am just very tired of the fake people, very expensive housing, teenage nonsense, acceptance of drugs, etc, etc. We are financially successful so housing cost is not a big problem just what we get for our money and lifestyle are very important to us. We are all outdoor types and love the water. So I needs some solid input on the following:

Best Schools both public and private for education, athletic and the least amount of over the top teenage nonsense.
Best areas to live on Lake Travis or Lake Austin
Best places near either lake that offer lots of amenities. Restaurants, Athletic Training Facilities, Shopping etc etc,
Best places on either lake that are know further than 45 minutes from the airport

I look forward to everyone's comments and thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 10:23 PM

603 posts, read 931,418 times
Move quickly before the lakes dry up completely.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:58 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaccord1 View Post
I am thinking of relocating my family and business to Austin TX. I currently live in Thousand Oaks, CA and I am just very tired of the fake people, very expensive housing, teenage nonsense, acceptance of drugs, etc, etc. We are financially successful so housing cost is not a big problem just what we get for our money and lifestyle are very important to us. We are all outdoor types and love the water. So I needs some solid input on the following:

Best Schools both public and private for education, athletic and the least amount of over the top teenage nonsense.
Best places near either lake that offer lots of amenities. Restaurants, Athletic Training Facilities, Shopping etc etc,
Best places on either lake that are know further than 45 minutes from the airport

If you can afford it (which you indicate you can), you definitely want to be on Lake Austin.

Lake Austin is a constant level lake (debatable, but according to this post it is - LCRA board may consider lowering Lake Austin, 3 other... | www.mystatesman.com ) - When you go to the actual LCRA page to find out, you'll notice the information pertaining to constant level lakes is missing - Frequently asked questions about LCRA ), so you should be in good shape for boating to the various restaurants and bars. Additionally, it's close to town and a lot of good stuff.

Lake Travis is in sad shape at the moment.

You can go here to see lake levels.

Lake Levels

Travis sits 53 feet low now. I think last year it got to 60 feet low.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:21 PM

4 posts, read 6,103 times
Most people in your situation seem to go searching for a lakefront lot and then custom build here to get exactly what they want. The earlier posters are correct - Lake Travis and Lake Austin are part of a system of dams of the Colorado River. The lakes in this chain alternate between constant level lakes and variable level. Lake Travis' depth varies based on the drought, but Lake Austin (next lake down the chain of dams) is a constant level lake and thus more desirable. However, I prefer Lake Travis even though the lake is low. The water in Lake Austin is ice cold because it flows downstream from the base of the dam (i.e., water from the lake bottom that isn't warmed by the sun). If you plan to enjoy skiing, swimming, etc., and actually get in the water, you may like Lake Travis more because the water is warmer.

The southern half of Lake Travis (the Lakeway and Spicewood areas) is south west of the city, and the airport is in south Austin. However, if you want to be close to downtown for the arts, music, culture, food, etc., then Lake Austin is right in the center of things. Waterfront here is VERY expensive. Lots can run as much as $1,000,000 or more. But if that's what you want and have the income, it's a great lifestyle in a great city.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,505 times
Default Thank you very much for the input. Please keep it coming

Also school info would be great. It seems the both Westlake and Lake Travis are great schools with Lake Travis having the better sports programs currently.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:54 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Also school info would be great. It seems the both Westlake and Lake Travis are great schools with Lake Travis having the better sports programs currently.

do a quick search on here to get more general opinions about the schools. If you can give more info about what you are looking for we can give more tailored answers.

I would say though you said you are trying to escape certain things, but with your housing criteria you are just going to end up moving to the parts of austin that are the most like california.

fake people, expensive housing, tolerance of drugs - all of those go hand in hand with living in the most expensive parts of austin. Ill add that an emphasis of sports of academics is also a problem related to the first 3, and it looks like you are looking for that too.

Maybe you can give a little more information to explain the contradiction..

Old 05-17-2014, 08:16 AM

12,949 posts, read 13,336,259 times
The Lake Travis south shore area west of Austin is going to be an hour away from the airport in slack traffic times, more during the rush hours.

As was noted earlier, lake front property is very expensive - Lake Austin waterfront lots (if one can be found) will run $1 million for 100' frontage.

Check out these listings:

Texas Ranches and Homes for Sale

Old 05-17-2014, 08:33 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
The Lake Travis south shore area west of Austin is going to be an hour away from the airport in slack traffic times, more during the rush hours.

As was noted earlier, lake front property is very expensive - Lake Austin waterfront lots (if one can be found) will run $1 million for 100' frontage.

Check out these listings:

Texas Ranches and Homes for Sale
Those times to the airport are really high. I drive from Spicewood to the airport often enough (just last week). The time from Spicewood to ABIA can be as short as 35 mins. Google maps says Bee Cave to ABIA is 31 minutes - I think that is realistic. So add the time to get to that intersection and you have a decent estimate of time to the airport. From Bee Cave there is really only one meaningful bottleneck to the airport - the intersection at SW parkway and 1. The "underpass" at 71 and Riverside is now open one way, eliminating the other big bottleneck.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:34 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
I am just very tired of the fake people, very expensive housing, teenage nonsense, acceptance of drugs, etc, etc. We are all outdoor types and love the water.
You realize that you pretty much just described Austin, right?

And water is great, but we don't really have any right now. I have a view of what's left of Lake Travis, and you can walk across it right now. Outdoors are great too, when it's not 100 degrees in the shade.

I just hope you have realistic expectations of Austin before you move here.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:47 AM

684 posts, read 812,207 times
Quote:

If i were you, i would be looking into Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin