Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 02:23 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
What I think people miss is being 20-30, at a great point in their lives, and going to Liberty Lunch. Which isn't the same as missing Liberty Lunch.
I only wish I was 20-30 when I was going to LL to hear the Nevilles.

What the question seems to be, to me, is how much can Austin change, and still be Austin? Change isn't always progress. And it isn't trying to capture lightning in a bottle - it is about preserving the unique things that create the unique mood of a city. I just don't think we are giving that any importance, and it saddens me. They certainly make it important in New Orleans or Charleston. Why don't we?

Last edited by scm53; 04-23-2014 at 03:17 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 02:40 PM

36 posts, read 42,800 times
The people who have attachment to these long-destroyed places are not only outnumbered by those that don't, but those that don't come from places where preservation isn't done because there's nothing to preserve. GenX/millennial suburbanites don't really have that value instilled in them, you know?

Old 04-23-2014, 03:15 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
<< what I am upset about is the purposeful luring, advertising, behind the scene deals that have to be being made for such a huge increase to happen all at once like this >>

Where is your evidence that any of that happened? Just because you do not understand something does not mean something nefarious must have happened.

Who is responsible? Obviously those property owners who sold out their small, humble, quaint businesses at a huge profit. They were glad to sell and happy to move on with the rest of their lives, much richer than they were before.

Much of Lamar Blvd was a dump before all those crappy, ramshackle old warehouses and industrial buildings were demolished and turned into something better. Old and run down does not equal historic. In my opinion South Lamar Blvd is finally turning into the great urban neighborhood that it was meant to be.

If a building was truely "historic" the "Historic Landmark Commission" would not have allowed it to be torn down. Local Historic Districts | Planning | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin When I built City Hall many people complained about the demolition of the "historic" old rat infested warehouse buildings on the 6 block area which I demolished. We had archeolgists research them in depth, there was nothing historically valuable about any of those old warehouses, except the Schneider Building, which we restored and is now the Lamberts Downtown Barbecue. Fancy Barbecue, Austin TX. It was the money paid by the businesses who committed to rent those future office buildings that made it possible for the restoration of the Schneider Building. Before that no one could find anyone willing to pay to save that historic structure, including the City of Austin which owned it. J. P. Schneider Store - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

East Second Street is far better off now because of all the demolition we did, it allowed something newer and vastly more useful to take its place.

Life moves on, it evolves or it whither and dies. South Lamar is evolving.

I agree with some of your points, for instance old does not always equal historic. However, warehouses can have some historic appeal and become treasures. The Warehouse District of New Orleans is a shining example. Old cotton mills, mayonaisse factories, textile mills are now apartment complexes and condos with street level shops and restaurants. Have you ever seen what they did with the Warehouse District there? Museums, art galleries, many other treasures in that area.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:17 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
What you consistently fail to recognize in your rants on this topic is that "walkable", "liveable" and "vibrant" mean different things to different people. It's not simply your ideal or this sprawl that you insult so regularly.

"Walkable" to some is being able to comfortably walk to the park, maybe a restaurant, pick up the kids from school, go to the dentist, stop at a corner store for a six-pack and a bag of ice. It's a relatively uncrowded sidewalk wide enough for the toddler weaving the trike around while they meander with the BOB stroller. They don't intend on handling all their errands on foot, but they do intend to walk the kids to school.

"Liveable" is a little space, less concrete, lounging in a camp chairing the driveway sharing the six pack while the kids roam in the cul-de-sac.

"Vibrant". Well this one's unique. Vibrant to some is the people (not the place), could be the friends next door, may be the community activities - or it could just be them. Some people bring the party, and don't need it brought to them.

Would that be your definition? No. But that's actual diversity - a difference of opinion, desire and taste.

Listen, Austin does need options - and it's getting them as more of the core develops and densifies - but that's not for everyone. A subject as convoluted as development is not the binary equation you try to wedge it into. That (and the inane insults directed at people for their choice) removes all credibility from your rants, since you fail to possibly acknowledge diversity.

Try to take a step back and realize that many LOVE the life they have, and it doesn't hurt you any, so acting like a petulant child stomping your feet when you don't get your way isn't going to do anything about what they want.
Perfectly stated!

Old 04-23-2014, 03:20 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I agree with some of your points, for instance old does not always equal historic. However, warehouses can have some historic appeal and become treasures. The Warehouse District of New Orleans is a shining example. Old cotton mills, mayonaisse factories, textile mills are now apartment complexes and condos with street level shops and restaurants. Have you ever seen what they did with the Warehouse District there? Museums, art galleries, many other treasures in that area.
Yeah, but is that really any different than what is happening here? I mean, they are keeping the structures themselves -- because they are architecturally interesting and historic -- but they are becoming new expensive condos, shiny gourmet restaurants, bars, etc. Just like here, except we don't have that much interesting old architecture to keep. The old strip malls on S Lamar are not worth preserving. If we want to keep the older historic buildings, that's great, but the new stuff going in hasn't been destroying those.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:10 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Yeah, but is that really any different than what is happening here? I mean, they are keeping the structures themselves -- because they are architecturally interesting and historic -- but they are becoming new expensive condos, shiny gourmet restaurants, bars, etc. Just like here, except we don't have that much interesting old architecture to keep. The old strip malls on S Lamar are not worth preserving. If we want to keep the older historic buildings, that's great, but the new stuff going in hasn't been destroying those.
You know, I'd be willing to bet good money that there was someone in New Orleans saying exactly that about the old buildings there.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:07 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You know, I'd be willing to bet good money that there was someone in New Orleans saying exactly that about the old buildings there.
Seriously? You're comparing preservation of this:

Http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/shared-blo...l/IMAG0351.jpg

to this????

http://www.pps.org/wp-content/upload...ns_xlarge.jpeg

wow
wow

wow

wow

Last edited by Debsi; 04-23-2014 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: Copyright, removed personal attack

Old 04-23-2014, 05:51 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
and now another bar coming to "Loburn":
Burnet Road Articles & Stories - Articles & Stories about Burnet Road in Austin, Texas
How many bars and eateries and entertainment areas do we really need? This little strip of Burnet Rd can't really handle the traffic now.
Buro?? Good grief....really?

Old 04-23-2014, 05:56 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
Buro?? Good grief....really?
Buro? I GET it!!!! Hee Haw!!!

Old 04-23-2014, 05:56 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Ha! The traffic there is not as bad as it was long ago, before the completion of MoPac
No, it is. I've lived along there since long ago. Non rush hour traffic north central is getting to be a pain, that wasn't always the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin