Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:56 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,274,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Looked back at my post. Sure don't recall saying that there was anything inherently bad about Del Valle. Nice soap box though.
More directed at the person who questioned the schools.

Nice conclusion jumping, though. This is a "forum" - where people share thoughts and opinions. If you want sterile facts, this is the wrong place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 10:01 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post

Nice conclusion jumping, though.
I am "that person". And what I wrote was in response to the OP. The OP mentioned schools. He mentioned it, I responded. Nuff said. And let's be real here... the schools in that part of town are below average. No real interpretation needed there. And you can get above average schools elsewhere at an affordable price. If you're gonna travel from far east Austin, then you can broad your search and include places with decent schools and affordable price if that's what's important to you.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I am "that person". And what I wrote was in response to the OP. The OP mentioned schools. He mentioned it, I responded. Nuff said. And let's be real here... the schools in that part of town are below average. No real interpretation needed there. And you can get above average schools elsewhere at an affordable price. If you're gonna travel from far east Austin, then you can broad your search and include places with decent schools and affordable price if that's what's important to you.
Like where? Manor? Elgin?

Schools aren't magic. They are most influenced by the expectations and backgrounds of the families whose kids attend. And no matter where you build it - and especially in the numbers this development will bring - those schools will quickly reflect the families that populate the classrooms. Build a $200K community anyplace, and there won't be a nickel's difference in the schools. Because it is the families, not the administration.

OBTW - Del Valle HS was "recognized" all of the last three years of the accountability ratings. Seems kinda above average to me, but what do I know?

Old 04-23-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Like where? Manor? Elgin?

Schools aren't magic. They are most influenced by the expectations and backgrounds of the families whose kids attend. And no matter where you build it - and especially in the numbers this development will bring - those schools will quickly reflect the families that populate the classrooms. Build a $200K community anyplace, and there won't be a nickel's difference in the schools. Because it is the families, not the administration.

OBTW - Del Valle HS was "recognized" all of the last three years of the accountability ratings. Seems kinda above average to me, but what do I know?
LOL, cmon dude. No need to argue about this one. According to Great Schools the Del Valle district (which services that area) as a whole is a "4" and the individual schools are 4, or maybe 5 at best. These ratings are based on the state test scores. I don't bow down to the almighty Great School Ratings and Accountability Ratings that some do, but they are worth a modicum of consideration and obviously it matters to the OP. Again, I was answering his post.

The middle income ShadowGlen families that populate the classrooms haven't done squat for the Manor schools in the area. The $200K plus Agave hasn't done anything to improve the schools in 78724. The schools in AISD zoned to Reagan are still largely abysmal, despite some gentrification. I can assume that the ShadowGlen people actually send their kids to charter or private schools.

This Whipering Valley doesn't really stand out in any particular way other than the nature aspect. Anyone can draw up plans and dreams. Reality is something else.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:30 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,278 times
Quote:

Nice conclusion jumping, though. This is a "forum" - where people share thoughts and opinions. If you want sterile facts, this is the wrong place.
You quoted my post, not the post you were apparently applying to. My mistake for coming to the conclusion that you were replying to my post.

Thanks for the lecture though.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
LOL, The $200K plus Agave hasn't done anything to improve the schools in 78724. The schools in AISD zoned to Reagan are still largely abysmal, despite some gentrification. I can assume that the ShadowGlen people actually send their kids to charter or private schools.
Are you honestly saying that a 50 house Agave can offset the huge trailer park next door? Whisper Valley is so enormous it will undoubtedly have its own ES and MS - all from a pretty homogenous population. Which will reflect the backgrounds and priorities of that population.

Still waiting for you to point to any east side developments at a similar price point and better schools.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:04 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,094,093 times
When will Whisper Valley have this ES and MS? Meuller doesn't even have their own elementary school yet!

40 years from now, Whisper Valley may be a fine place to live but now it is just a master plan! The people who will make Whisper Valley are in preschool if they are even born yet!

As noted on the bottom of the master plan illustration:

Map Not to Scale. Plans, features and prices are subject to change at any time without notice. Community plans, features and amenities are proposed and timing, program or details can be changed, modified, updated at anytime without notice. The master developer, Taurus of Texas Holdings, LP, is not responsible for the accuracy of the information posted or represented by the builders on their sites or in their materials.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Are you honestly saying that a 50 house Agave can offset the huge trailer park next door? Whisper Valley is so enormous it will undoubtedly have its own ES and MS - all from a pretty homogenous population. Which will reflect the backgrounds and priorities of that population.

Still waiting for you to point to any east side developments at a similar price point and better schools.
I didn't know that I was supposed to point out anything to you. Honestly, I don't really know where you're going here. I've answered what I need to answer and I don't feel inclined to beat this horse any further. The OP is through with this topic and maybe you should be, as well.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
When will Whisper Valley have this ES and MS? Meuller doesn't even have their own elementary school yet!

40 years from now, Whisper Valley may be a fine place to live but now it is just a master plan! The people who will make Whisper Valley are in preschool if they are even born yet.
Then it isn't a problem, is it?

Still waiting for someone to point to where the $200K house crowd should live. Not everyone moving here can afford an Austonian condo, and not everyone wants to raise their family in a 3BR apartment. And there isn't enough Austin taxpayer money to subsidize all of them. So what is the solution, in the quantities needed to meet the demand? Whisper Valley isn't for everyone, but it appears that it will meet a serious need.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:47 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,094,093 times
I haven't seen a price point for Whisper Valley, did the OP mention the price point as a chief attraction?

Pfville would be my first choice at that price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin