Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 01:25 PM

18 posts, read 24,896 times

Advertisements

We are buying an inventory home in Cedar Park. Even though the builder arranges for an inspection from a 3rd party, we would like to get one done ourselves.

Any recommendations for good house inspectors ?
Also consider this particular area, anything specific we should watch out or ask for ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 02:09 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
In accordance with the C-D TOS, I'll PM you.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:38 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Depending on which builder it is, you need to find out if they have an inspector approval list. Some builders won't allow some inspectors in their houses if they don't/can't show specific insurance coverage and get approval. They don't want some Joe off the street ruining the houses they just built.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:59 AM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoToAustin View Post
We are buying an inventory home in Cedar Park. Even though the builder arranges for an inspection from a 3rd party, we would like to get one done ourselves.

Any recommendations for good house inspectors ?
Also consider this particular area, anything specific we should watch out or ask for ?
I PM'ed you the name of a very good Inspector!

Old 04-26-2014, 04:13 AM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Depending on which builder it is, you need to find out if they have an inspector approval list. Some builders won't allow some inspectors in their houses if they don't/can't show specific insurance coverage and get approval. They don't want some Joe off the street ruining the houses they just built.
I don't know where you get your information from but:

They don't want some Joe off the street ruining the houses they just built.

In the course of their inspection a Home Inspector does nothing to "ruin" a house that a home builder builds. The Inspector might find significant issues with a new home that was a result of a bad build that could potentially cause damage to a home later such as a water heater Temperature & Pressure Relief Valve (TPRV) that was improperly plumbed, or an HVAC primary condensate line that was never installed or properly connected. Now those issues can "ruin" a home later down the road.

Depending on which builder it is, you need to find out if they have an inspector approval list.

If a builder has an "approval list" of Inspectors then that list would only be the Inspectors you most likely don't want to use! Builders don't necessarily like having to take major measures to correct issues they may or may not know are there. For example the TPRV that is improperly plumbed might require removal of drywall to correct and that can be timely and costly to a builder. These "approval lists", if they exist, are generally the Inspectors that will easily pass up issues requiring corrections and that makes the builder happy.

Some builders won't allow some inspectors in their houses if they don't/can't show specific insurance coverage and get approval.

Have you ever read some of these "Third Party Inspector Addendum" that builder's have been forcing on their buyers? I read one that states the addendum does not change the original buyer contract when in fact it does. These addendum also place ridiculous requirements on Inspectors that any intelligent Inspector would not ever sign! These addendum are intended mostly to limit the choice of Inspectors a buyer will have to the Inspectors who would be willing to sign such an onerous set of requirements and who would easily pass up construction defects to make the builder happy and not protect the buyer!

OP,

You're the buyer and if the builder wants you to select from their "approval lists" of Inspectors you need to exercise your own powers to let the builder know you will bring in your own chosen Inspector and not one of theirs. If these lists exist they are nothing more than another list of builder "3rd party Inspectors" that you are concerned won't do the job to your benefit!

If the builder is trying to force you to sign a "Third Party Inspector Addendum" I would highly advise that you have your own, and good, Real Estate Attorney review it before you sign it!

Old 04-26-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
I don't know where you get your information from but:

They don't want some Joe off the street ruining the houses they just built.

In the course of their inspection a Home Inspector does nothing to "ruin" a house that a home builder builds. The Inspector might find significant issues with a new home that was a result of a bad build that could potentially cause damage to a home later such as a water heater Temperature & Pressure Relief Valve (TPRV) that was improperly plumbed, or an HVAC primary condensate line that was never installed or properly connected. Now those issues can "ruin" a home later down the road.

Depending on which builder it is, you need to find out if they have an inspector approval list.

If a builder has an "approval list" of Inspectors then that list would only be the Inspectors you most likely don't want to use! Builders don't necessarily like having to take major measures to correct issues they may or may not know are there. For example the TPRV that is improperly plumbed might require removal of drywall to correct and that can be timely and costly to a builder. These "approval lists", if they exist, are generally the Inspectors that will easily pass up issues requiring corrections and that makes the builder happy.

Some builders won't allow some inspectors in their houses if they don't/can't show specific insurance coverage and get approval.

Have you ever read some of these "Third Party Inspector Addendum" that builder's have been forcing on their buyers? I read one that states the addendum does not change the original buyer contract when in fact it does. These addendum also place ridiculous requirements on Inspectors that any intelligent Inspector would not ever sign! These addendum are intended mostly to limit the choice of Inspectors a buyer will have to the Inspectors who would be willing to sign such an onerous set of requirements and who would easily pass up construction defects to make the builder happy and not protect the buyer!

OP,

You're the buyer and if the builder wants you to select from their "approval lists" of Inspectors you need to exercise your own powers to let the builder know you will bring in your own chosen Inspector and not one of theirs. If these lists exist they are nothing more than another list of builder "3rd party Inspectors" that you are concerned won't do the job to your benefit!

If the builder is trying to force you to sign a "Third Party Inspector Addendum" I would highly advise that you have your own, and good, Real Estate Attorney review it before you sign it!
I have to say that a couple of these points occurred to me. I've never had a builder ask me what inspector my client was going to use nor give me a list of "allowed inspectors" - that would seem to be a red flag right there, for the reasons given.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:47 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,278 times
Standard Pacific is well-known for this practice.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:09 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Standard Pacific is well-known for this practice.
They aren't the only one. And see however you want. If you don't play by the builders' rules, you don't get to buy their home. I'm not saying an inspector is going to "ruin" the house, but that's how they look at it. They want inspectors who will show them their insurance. One builder wanted to see $2M worth of coverage in case the inspector "ruined" something.

These aren't my rules, but go ahead and blame me for saying the truth. This is reality and the OP needs to be prepared for the builder to say something about who they pick. It's not all the builders, but many of them.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:40 AM

I'm going to have to research this further. Not blaming you at all, but there is something so very very off about this that surely there's a reg somewhere or other against it. I know I've had a builder's rep in past try telling my clients and I something that was required that was absolutely in violation and all I had to do was say the name of the appropriate reg and suddenly it wasn't a requirement any longer.

It may be that I haven't run into this because the inspectors I recommend do have that amount of insurance. But it's certainly a practice that is ripe for abuse.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:16 PM

18 posts, read 24,896 times
Well, our new house is a Standard Pacific built one. I'll report back after we take our inspector to inspect this inventory home we are trying to buy. Thanks for those who provided recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: