Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 12:50 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,542,567 times

Advertisements

I've had grass pulled up and need to top it with a substrate. I'm not really wanting a pea gravel type of substrate.. I want something not sandy, but not large and rocky either. I recall seeing this brown crushed stone type stuff in commercial landscapes that I think I like. Do any of you know what this is called? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 12:58 PM

15,280 posts, read 35,724,338 times
Crushed granite?

Old 05-02-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Crushed granite?
That's what it's called? looks like a mix of sand and stone? I've always called it "dirt" but it's not really a dirt. Is that pretty decent as a substrate?

Old 05-02-2014, 01:22 PM

15,280 posts, read 35,724,338 times
I can't be sure, but it is very popular in xeriscaping and can vary quite a bit. Reddish/pinkish is the most common around here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=crus...w=1920&bih=914

Old 05-02-2014, 01:22 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,137,246 times
it is also called "decomposed granite" it is what the Town Lake hike and bike trail is made of. It works great as long as you don't plan to walk on it with bare feet. Had some walkways with it in a house I owned when my kids were little and it was a pain. Pea gravel is much easier on the feet!

Old 05-02-2014, 01:32 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,915,663 times
Decomposed/crushed granite also washes away easily, something to consider if it is in an area where drainage will flow over it. Luckily, it is very cheap to add more as you need it. You can get it for something like $20 per yard at the Natural Gardener (bag your own or load it into a truck/trailer).

There is something you can spray on it which helps "bond" it, but in my experience it doesn't work that well and costs a lot. There is also a special mixture of crushed granite called "Turface" which absorbs more water, but again, very expensive and probably not worth it. Easier to just use the plain crushed granite and just touch it up every year as needed.

BTW you will probably still need a weed barrier underneath.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:33 PM

Thank you guys, yes it appears to be granite.

Pea gravel was under consideration but I don't think I like the color. Is there a colored pea gravel? What do you all use that is nice and decorative? I have this area that will be a sort of sitting area under a wax myrtle. Don't really want to use mulch.

Also, related question. Pulling up the grass revealed an Ant City under the tree. I've had the exterminator come out but they really haven't gone away. Shall I just accept them being there? Not sure if they are fire ants..don't really seem to be because I've bothered them and they didn't swarm like fire ants, but they are reddish. This weekend the landscaper is going to cover the area with fabric and fill with substrate.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Decomposed/crushed granite also washes away easily, something to consider if it is in an area where drainage will flow over it. Luckily, it is very cheap to add more as you need it. You can get it for something like $20 per yard at the Natural Gardener (bag your own or load it into a truck/trailer).

There is something you can spray on it which helps "bond" it, but in my experience it doesn't work that well and costs a lot. There is also a special mixture of crushed granite called "Turface" which absorbs more water, but again, very expensive and probably not worth it. Easier to just use the plain crushed granite and just touch it up every year as needed.
Ah. I'm concerned about that. If the granite gets in the grassy area it will be a pain to get out, right?

Old 05-02-2014, 01:41 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,137,246 times
How much do you want to spend? I have an area landscaped with mexican beach pebbles, I love the look but use it sparingly because it costs big $!

In my central neighborhood there seems to be a definite trend towards using white marble chips or medium black stone, often in separate but adjoining beds. Moore/Tate uses this with their homes and I see it pretty often.

Large river rock also has a great look but is pricey.

Best bet is to use metal edging to contain the material (again check the drainage patterns) and definitely use weed blocking fabric first! Very easy to put down.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:12 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,381,448 times
I did my driveway in a really nice grey basalt gravel that would be great for landscaping in a place with foot traffic as well.

I have one bed with the decomposed granite that I like, but its a raised bed with limestone edging that keeps it all in. If you're going to have foot traffic over the area I would recommend a larger size of granite aggregate if you want that color and kind of look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin