Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 11:37 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times

Advertisements

The city council can help by delaying or repealing the accessibility requirements for new construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 01:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Local economists have been predicting this for the last 3 years, it's not like this should be any surprise to anyone who has been paying attention.

Angelou predicts double-digit growth rates in real estate properties for the next three to four years

Angelos Angelou 2012-2013 Economic Forcast

Worst Housing Markets For The Next Five Years

2011-2012 Economic Forcast for Austin Metro Area

Apartment building lagging behind demand...

From the 2011 forcast:

Quote:
http://www.angeloueconomics.com/docu...orecast_HR.pdf (broken link)
Angelou Economics - News [Presentations]

Page 15 in the second document talks about the Residential real estate market.

Quote:
Quote:
One would expect that a cool housing market in an area experiencing population growth would face a
tighter rental market, and this is indeed occurring in Austin. Decreased housing demand has begun to
heat up the multi-family housing market. In 2010, average rents grew to nearly $1.00 per square foot
on average, a near historic high. Occupancy rates steadily improved through the year to currently stand
at 93.4%. With only 1,500 units under construction and a limited supply of units being planned, it is
likely prices will be sustained at high levels.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:16 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Lol, from the one about the 15 worst housing markets:
Quote:
Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, Texas

Annualized expected growth from 2012 - 2017: 1.0 percent

Home prices in the Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos area have fallen 1.5 percent since the first quarter of 2009. It also has a median home price of $193,000.

The metro has a population of 1.8 million, a relatively low unemployment rate of 5.9 percent, and a median family income of $72,800.
So, what kind of average decrease do we have to see to match that 1% annualized growth?

Old 05-06-2014, 10:38 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Who is we? The CoA is not in the business of building apartment complexes...I don't think. I recon most landlords/mgmt companies right now are happy to raise the rent without improving the properties...partly to cover the higher taxes, partly to enhance the bottom line. How would lower occupancy rates and lower monthly rents benefit them?
No COA does not build apartments but they approve the site plans and permits. And there will always be other landlords/mgmt companies wanting to get a foothold in the Austin market and be willing to take a smaller profit to do so. Unless their is collusion by them (highly unlikely) the system should work.

Not a huge influence on the larger housing market but council members like Riley are advocating loosening the rules on developments like the skinny high rises and micro apartments.......So then it is more of a situation of the gov't protecting the interests of current residents balanced against flexible rules for developers that cater to Austin's growing population. Not everyone can live with their folks!

Old 05-06-2014, 11:05 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
So then it is more of a situation of the gov't protecting the interests of current residents balanced against flexible rules for developers that cater to Austin's growing population.
I don't understand what you mean, seeing as the majority of Austin's residents are renters and many have been here for a very long time.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:17 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,758 times
Austin (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Almost half of Austin's residents live in owner-occupied units...and that number is artificially deflated by the transient student population who are "residents" in name only.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:38 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,897 times
Right. Majority means over half...

Old 05-07-2014, 02:01 PM

207 posts, read 463,641 times
I was shocked when I got a lease extension offer without a rent increase. I'm hoping it is just a "you are a good tenant and pay early" deal but I'm still not entirely sure that the property manager realizes that we legally renewed the lease for another year via the email exchange we had because he's... not exactly on the ball on such matters. Or really any property management tasks beyond depositing checks. I guess I'll find out later this month!

I have been seeing a depressing number of people on the listserve looking for rentals. Those with fixed incomes are especially hard hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
So, thank you city leaders for your stupidity, lack of foresight, and ignorance. And good job voters for continuing to put the same people in charge, year after year, who all think with the same faulty logic. Maybe when we get a 10-1 we'll get some real diverse thinkers on city council instead of all beholden to the central Austin, ANC (Austin Neighborhood Council) mindset.

Meanwhile, the affordability train has left the station. The blue light was the weirdness, and the red light was the time.

Steve
The city council has served the wants and needs of voters in city council elections quite well. It just so happens that only ~3-5% of eligible Austinites were voters in those elections and they are concentrated in certain geographic areas. I think the November elections will have a bigger effect than 10-1 (although that won't hurt).

As it is now our leaders are more interested in looking like they care and are happy to propose a statue commemorating the homeless while enacting policies that prevent the construction of 10,000 units to house people on the brink of homelessness.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:42 PM

316 posts, read 877,219 times
This is part of the Fed plan. To inflate everything and make a bounty for the local taxing entities. eCONomic boom all around.

Interest rates have been artificially suppressed for ~6 years now. If interest rates are allowed to normalize, the market will find equilibrium.

Austin, of course also has had the perfect storm. Tech jobs boom, cool vibe and overall good city to raise a family. The traffic craziness alone makes me want to move someplace sane.

It appears TCAD increased mostly everyone's appraisals by the maximum allowable 10%. Even a monkey could had done that. Why do they even exist as an entity?

Old 05-09-2014, 05:45 PM

34 posts, read 43,698 times
We will be moving there from NYC and aren't wealthy its for work reasons, and we didn't think it was going to be that expensive. I can't see paying that much rent, how are houses in commuting areas of Austin? Is it as overpriced as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin