Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 10:22 AM

81 posts, read 221,771 times

Advertisements

Looks like our 16-year-old HVAC is all crapped out and needs to be replaced. I concur with that assessment so I'm past the point of deciding "whether" and now I just want to do it right when we replace. We've used lots of different service techs over the years (Strand, Fox, some small operators) but don't really have a favorite. I'd also like someone to help me navigate the various rebate options since we'll try to go as high-efficiency as practicable.

Two questions:
1. Is there any good online resource to research the different brands? I usually go to Consumer Reports but they don't review HVAC units.
2. Any recommendations on local service companies for residential sales?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 04:51 PM

543 posts, read 1,740,098 times
Lennox® Heating and Air Conditioning Systems

Old 05-05-2014, 05:03 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Do you have Angies list? It might be helpful to subscribe for a month or two and do some research on companies. I'm not a fan of Strand, and I've never used Fox. ABC is good but expensive -- if you get an annual service plan with them, there is a discount. I've also had good experiences with Paleface A/C, very reasonably priced but not sure if they are the best.

When I upgraded the A/C at my rental house, I went with Goodman equipment. Mostly because of cost, but they seem to be decent units. The A/C tech said it was pretty standard equipment, same as you'd find on some of the higher end brands (like Lennox) where you pay a premium for the name. Whatever you go with, the installer is probably the most important part of the process. Make sure they install a float switch so you don't have to deal with flooding if/when the return drain gets clogged.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:18 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Another that won't likely be the low bid is ARS...but, that would be the first call I will make when the time comes. They serviced our two units for years years 5-9 and kept us informed when items should be 'watched' or items that were needed. They should be up to date on any rebates available and can get you the most energy efficient unit for your home, I reckon.

The sooner, the quicker, as they say. It's not likely to get much cooler over the next 5 months and I'd rather have those guys working when business isn't running as hot as the Austin real estate market! The fun part is the energy savings you will most certainly enjoy while keeping your home comfortable and healthier!

Old 05-05-2014, 08:32 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Replaced our 18 year old Trane unit with a new one last year.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:44 PM

49 posts, read 101,178 times
I contracted Mr. Cool ((512) 445-0412, reviews on Yelp) 5 years ago to install an American Standard 2-stage AC system. It's been working great since then. Have not had it looked at since the install so probably ought to schedule a checkup.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:38 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
The 37 year old house we bought 2 years ago still had the original system in the attic and missing ductwork. We had the whole shebang replaced last year by McCullough. I picked them because they were on the City of Austin's approved list and had the best reviews out of the bunch. If you are getting your electricity from COA, they have some great rebate programs and work with Velocity CU for low interest financing if you don't want to put out a huge chunk of cash at once. To qualify, you have to work with the companies on their list.

Anyway, I was so impressed with McCullough, I used them to replace a 20 year old AC unit at my rental house this year. The only use Carrier and I'm not going to say it's the best out there but I was very happy with the price and have been with the performance as well.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:45 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,374,893 times
We've had great service over many years from A+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin