Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 07:27 AM

5 posts, read 5,004 times

Advertisements

Hi! After searching for about 2 months (me long distance from Chicago and hubby already transferred) we've come down to a choice between a relatively new Taylor Morrison in Senna Hills ($760k) and a brand new Taylor Morrison in Ladera ($670k).

Senna Hills is in Barton Creek Elementary Eanes ISD and we have a preference for that school for no other reason than it seems to differentiate learning to grade level more so than the Lake Pointe Elementary. (Our kindergartner is learning at one grade level above in his current school). Besides the slight preference for the Eanes school system, we prefer the Ladera home because of the floor plan and price point.

Some questions for the knowledgable members here:

1. Ladera advertises that it is allowing the propane supply contract to revert back to the homeowners to avoid the high prices that homeowners in other neighborhoods are facing. Any intel on thus?

2. The Senna Hills homes is a Taylor Morrison that is priced about $180k higher than what it sold for in 2012. This seems like its really ambitious price and while within our overall budget, we're concerned it will not be appraised at that high a value and then we'll miss out on another opportunity. Any thoughts about this? Advice on how to deal with a home that is listed too high? From what I can tell on Redfin sold homes in that neighborhood for sq. footage and number of bedrooms place it in the high $600s.

3. Any intel on Lake Pointe Elementary? Has anyone had experience with the teachers differentiating a curriculum to teach, for example, 2nd grade level reading to a 1st grader or grouping students into reading groups/math groups by level, etc.?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 07:32 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,792,163 times
You're comparing Ladera, which backs The Backyard where you'll have music blaring several times a year and obnoxious traffic through the community to get there, to Senna Hills with awesome views and Eanes schools?? That's an easy answer, and who cares what someone in 2012 paid for their home. Today's values are very different.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:05 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,273,599 times
1. The schools are a wash, unless the teaching methodology matters to you. Both are great school districts.

2. Pros and cons to both communities. Senna Hills has some lots with nice views (came VERY close to buying there in 2010). Downside is it is close to nothing you use on a regular basis. Ladera has everyday retail much closer, as well as every big box store you need and plenty of restaurants. Now that Bee Caves Parkway is open on both ends, there is zero reason for Backyard traffic to go through there for the 8-10 shows/yr. Biggest downside to me is how close the houses are together - which might be a reason for the price differential. (unless they are farther apart in the final section - which is where I presume you are looking).

Tough call, but I think I'd save the $90K - especially if you like the floor plan better. But I would get to the bottom of exactly what that propane provision meant on a practical basis.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:24 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,792,163 times
Yes, definitely, the schools are a wash for the most part, but Eanes still has perception of "better". The Backyard, from reports I've read, are planning on at least 20 shows this year, and with the changes they're making in combination with the new studio, if it gets final go-ahead, there will be more activity over there. I think traffic will still go through the neighborhood because it's another route to avoid other back ups.

The lots at the back of Ladera are still only 70' lots, and there aren't as many view lots in Ladera as in Senna Hills. I liked Senna Hills when we were deciding where to buy, but there weren't any greenbelt lots available at the time. No, Senna is not "near" things, but it's almost in the middle, and I would venture out to Brodie Ln more if I lived in Senna than Falconhead West. Being in FHW, it feels like a huge effort to get to Brodie, as that area has a lot more than our area. I go to those Big Box stores a heck of a lot more than the Galleria Big Box stores.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:01 PM

Thank you both very much! We are leaning towards Senna Hills home because of the schools and the lot for sale does have a view, although we like the floor plan better at Ladera. My only concern is since the recent comps don't seem to support their price, the bank won't appraise it... I suppose it's worth a shot, though and if that happened maybe they'd agree to come down and meet bank's appraised value, unless they have a cash offer.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:47 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,115,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinVilla View Post
Thank you both very much! We are leaning towards Senna Hills home because of the schools and the lot for sale does have a view, although we like the floor plan better at Ladera. My only concern is since the recent comps don't seem to support their price, the bank won't appraise it... I suppose it's worth a shot, though and if that happened maybe they'd agree to come down and meet bank's appraised value, unless they have a cash offer.
Just out of curiosity where is your husband working? I just drove around brodie today and the traffic was ridiculous for a saturday morning. I can imagine how bad it is on a weekday at rush hour.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:50 PM

Well, the owner to Senna Hills wants a lease back and we're not up able to do that since we need to move asap so now thinking of Ladera...He's working at the office complex off Via Fortuna.

Also, I work from home. Husband is working at the office complex off Via Fortuna. He leaves around 9 a.m. and comes home around 7 usually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: