Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 01:05 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,569 times

Advertisements

Because what's happening in Austin is something that many cities have and will go through...its this thing called progress and growth. So people haven't ruined Austin or done anything to change it. Most of the complaints can be blamed on a lot of parties...putting it on people who move here for work and go on their daily lives just as anyone else would is a load of crap. I don't even go to downtown on a regular basis. transplants alone can't change the entire identify of a city. Time does that. Growth does that. Change does that.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The people in the Houston forum keep warning me about how much Austin has changed for the worst because of all the transplants from the coasts.
I don't see any big differences between Travis County and Harris County, regarding where people are moving from, to those locations.

American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

Old 05-13-2014, 01:12 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
That's just not true.

1. The biggest migration to Austin/Travis County is from the rest of Texas still.

2. High-rise apartments are a _minuscule_ fraction of the total housing in the city. Of the total apartments in the city. Of the total _new_ apartments even.
So what? Meaningless statistics. The people that moved here in the '80s from Cleburne weren't demanding a rail system because "real cities" have them. They weren't decrying the absence of professional sports, or the fact the hot dog places sucked. Your stats include moves from inside the Austin metro. What pray tell, do they want different? Again, meaningless statistic.

It isn't sheer numbers - it is the cultural gap. Up until about '90, the majority of NEW residents were Texans. Then we got on the national radar, and the homogenization hasn't slowed down.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:19 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,569 times
Scm...

You seem bitter and also taking shots at me in the process. The growth that has brought people from all over has helped Austin greatly. It has brought a varied group of people from all of the country to this place, its brought areas like cedar park, manor, Leander, jonestown, round Rock, buda and so on so much growth and opportunities that didn't always exist there. It put Austin on a nation level whether you like it or not. People want better public transportation because a city of Austins size should offer better transportation to its residents and to help the gridlock on the highways and streets. Its pretty much common sense. If your happy with being bumper to bumper traffic at Tuesday at 1030am then good for you but its pretty clear that doing nothing isn't going to fix the problem. Yeah people want there to be a vaired restaurants because we don't all like the same things. Who cares if someone wants an Italian restaurant to open or a Brazilian steak house? What's it to you? Why do you care? Pro sports...well I can understand people not wanting to pay out of pockets for a stadium but that being said not every stadium was funded by the taxpayers only. I could careless if Austin ever gets a pro team but I think it would be neat if a pro NFL or NHL team come here.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:22 PM

259 posts, read 350,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Well if that Texas city vibe is still there then I would love to move there still. But yes, that non-conformist to the point of banality exists in droves out here in LA. I loved it when I was younger and would still dread to be a typical 9 to 5 suburban drone, but the level in which a lot of the people, young or old strive to be so "different" is beyond bananas.

I am glad a lot of other people do notice though. So essentially, just stay clear of South Austin?
No no. South Austin has some great music and food. Just go there and be mentally prepared to deal with hipsters. Definitely wouldn't live in that area though.

Whoever it was that summarized the areas of Austin was spot on.

North=Suburbs
South='Weird Austin'
East=Not a great place, lower socioeconomic areas.
West=Rich people.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:27 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,006,539 times
Who cares what people want? If they want a rail, ok. I believe in that kinda growth and progress. What I don't care for is the rat race shrewdness that comes with growth. If transplants want a clean slate which is what they're using Austin for can they at least not bring that overly non conformist hipper than thou attitude that is largely prevalent in cities like DC, SF and LA.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:52 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,398,518 times
I had always hoped there wouldn't be a tipping point when the unpretentiousness I loved about living here would disappear. Comfortable as a pair of old jeans. However, after being here for 30 plus years, I believe that it is pretty much gone. I agree that's not just an Austin thing though...I think that's just the prevailing lifestyle for people of a certain age and education level these days.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:06 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,006,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I had always hoped there wouldn't be a tipping point when the unpretentiousness I loved about living here would disappear. Comfortable as a pair of old jeans. However, after being here for 30 plus years, I believe that it is pretty much gone. I agree that's not just an Austin thing though...I think that's just the prevailing lifestyle for people of a certain age and education level these days.
Sad but true. I'm sure its just the changes. But would you that it's totally gone? There's not a semblance left? It can't be as bad as SF or LA?

Old 05-13-2014, 02:07 PM

615 posts, read 780,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampac66 View Post
No no. South Austin has some great music and food. Just go there and be mentally prepared to deal with hipsters. Definitely wouldn't live in that area though.

Whoever it was that summarized the areas of Austin was spot on.

North=Suburbs
South='Weird Austin'
East=Not a great place, lower socioeconomic areas.
West=Rich people.
Wrong on so many levels.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:11 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Scm...

You seem bitter and also taking shots at me in the process.
I'm not bitter at all. I don't know anyone in the US that would appreciate someone arriving in their city, and immediately start pointing out all the things wrong with it - based in nothing more than it wasn't identical to where they left. Most people in America - wherever they live - would brand such behavior as rude. You don't. That's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin