Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 10:12 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

Advertisements

Congratulations, by buying a property that has existing tenants, you have become a landlord and are obligated to uphold the terms of the previous lease. When the previous tenants over stay a lease, it becomes a month to month tenancy.

In order to terminate that month to month lease, you need to give the tenant at least 30 days notice that the rental is ending and they need to be out before __X__ date (usually the first of the next month after 30 days).

Read more about your rights and obligations here: http://www.housing-rights.org/brochures.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 11:07 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
any signed leases, deposits, partial rents, etc should have been taken care of at closing.
That.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:39 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEDANBOT View Post
But my contract says to vacate 30 days after closing but they don't know when I closed. Nor do they get back in touch to find out. So can it be EFFECTIVE May 15th even if it's delivered AFTER? Not my fault the guy is never home!

If they stay MTM come Jun 30th, they'll be my room mates!
It shouldn't matter whether he's home or not because every correspondence should be in writing.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:16 AM

207 posts, read 463,516 times
Quote:
There is no security deposit.
There is no lease agreement/documents.
There is a lot of problems with the house - I bought it for $120,000 (3 bed 2 bath) in North Austin so it's a fixer for sure so can't really destroy crap!
They want to leave but don't know how, where and when.

I'll be contacting a lot of people soon about the next steps. (exhausted)
That doesn't matter, but triple check this!
That doesn't matter
You have no idea the amount of damage angry tenants can do. A "fixer upper" could change into a complete teardown of they are sufficiently vindictive and if you don't have insurance covering it as a rental you would be SOL.
That might be usable to your advantage.

Talk to a lawyer first (you should have done so before you even made an offer). You have to give the tenant a notice of tenancy termination on a month-to-month arrangement like what they had and they get at minimum 30 days from when they receive the notice, so before June 30th is possible if you move quick! Triple check that there is no security deposit because the last thing you want is for them to send you a certified letter 30 days after move-out demanding it back in full.

Now I say the last point might be usable to your advantage because there is nothing that says the tenant has to stay the 30 days if they don't want to. You might be able to just give them some cash (say $500-$1k) and have them move out instantly.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:58 AM

26 posts, read 31,074 times
This is the developing story.

They signed a "notice terminating right of occupancy" letter for 6/15 last night at 10pm. So yes I'm the landlord but really I'm ending this whole rental agreement after 6/15.

On 6/1 I'll be collecting 15 days of rent at $450 - if they leave early, I'll just pro-rate them. Since it will be in cash - I'll give them a receipt, dated, with a signature. Anything else?

Right now it has insurance but not as a rental. Should I look into that in case they DO tear it apart? I don't see them doing that though because it's a mom, dad, and 2 little baby kids. I don't see that happening.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:44 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
If you don't have insurance as a rental property, then you really don't have any insurance. If you had a claim and they found out there were tenants, that would be grounds for cancellation.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
If you don't have insurance as a rental property, then you really don't have any insurance. If you had a claim and they found out there were tenants, that would be grounds for cancellation.
I'm going to get in touch with home insurance and see what they say...or maybe I shouldn't for fear of voiding the policy?

Old 05-17-2014, 02:05 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
Quote:
I'm going to get in touch with home insurance and see what they say...or maybe I shouldn't for fear of voiding the policy?
It's void as it stands. Material misrepresentation of risk.

They can place a rider on the policy that will cover what you need it to.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
It's void as it stands. Material misrepresentation of risk.

They can place a rider on the policy that will cover what you need it to.
Based on this article: Landlords need special property insurance it appears I need landlord insurance. Grrrrreat...

Old 05-17-2014, 10:38 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Why would you even bother with a house that has tenants in it if you want to live in it yourself? Wait, I get it...it's cheap. That's understandable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin