Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2014, 12:43 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times

Advertisements

Ok, I was chatting with my old college roommate who lives in Round Rock. I was thinking of going to the classic game fest in August since I AM the definition of a retro gamer. He proceeds to tell me about a place called Pinballz. Now I went to a retro game place here in downtown Houston, and was accosted by bums, so that kind of soured my affinity for that place. But can anybody tell me about Pinballz? He talks about it like it is the second coming. I trust his opinion because back in the day we spent countless quarters in the college game room and wasted too many hours when we should have been studying. Just looking for more local opinions about Pinballz. I particularly love old school starting with Space Invaders, Missile Command, Asteroids, Phoenix, Pleiades, Astro Blaster, Moon Patrol, Vanguard, Scramble, Terminator pinball, Adams Family pinball, etc.... Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 12:57 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,492 times
BYOB!

It's much heavier on the pinball side than true video games, but not too seedy.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:58 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Never been to Pinballz, but I plan on checking it out soon. I do know it's just down 183 from Game Over Videogames, which is a great retro gaming store with lots of events. Check it out. https://www.facebook.com/gameovervideogames

Maybe you can come to Classic Game Fest in August.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:00 PM

129 posts, read 160,581 times
I go with my kids all the time. There is a nice corner for us old folk, who started making lawnmower money when Asteroids came out. Missile Command, Space Invaders, Centipede, Packman, and Joust are all there. Donkey Kong was there and left at some point sadly. Tons of old school pinball as well as newer versions. Ticket-giving games for the tots. I swear I saw they were going to move from that location to some mega-spot outside of COA soon.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:06 PM

Here is an article from Austin Business Journal

Pinballz Arcade owner planning entertainment concept in Buda

Old 05-19-2014, 03:17 PM

Ok family friendly is great. I like mild places. This is sounding better and better. Now that's interesting they are building another in Buda. My niece is building a house there. My nephew already lives there. My brother plans to retire and join them. I'll go visit family and pop on over to Pinballz heck yeah!

They just recently opened a "Game Over Videogames" in Clear Lake which is next to where I live. That store is awesome. Needless to say I now have an Atari 2600 and several games. I am planning on the Classic Game fest. My old roommate was telling me that Austin was a retro game mecca, and now I am beginning to think he was serious.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:30 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
They just recently opened a "Game Over Videogames" in Clear Lake which is next to where I live. That store is awesome. Needless to say I now have an Atari 2600 and several games. I am planning on the Classic Game fest. My old roommate was telling me that Austin was a retro game mecca, and now I am beginning to think he was serious.
There are a lot of us here in Austin. Are you on Atariage? It's a great site based here: AtariAge - Have You Played Atari Today?

Also, have you read the book "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline (if you haven't, you should)? He's also from here.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:38 PM

I was at a mini maker faire a couple of years ago and there was an Austin club that was modding old atari games.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
There are a lot of us here in Austin. Are you on Atariage? It's a great site based here: AtariAge - Have You Played Atari Today?

Also, have you read the book "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline (if you haven't, you should)? He's also from here.

Very nice! I haven't been on AtariAge before. I knew that the 2600 is still kicking with homebrew cartridges, but I didn't know there were still active websites about it. That is awesome. My all time favorite game across all platforms, including the PC, is DragonStomper on the 2600. It's kind of the ancient ancestor of WOW.

I would love to attend a maker faire. There is one hackerspace that I know of in downtown Houston, but again it's near an area where I can remember being asked for spare change as soon as I exited my car. That area is gentrifying, but I just don't care to be hanging around there anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin