Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 07:06 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times

Advertisements

Have a couple of old friends that just about went ballistic after this:
Council halts plan to rename part of Auditorium Shores | www.statesman.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 08:30 AM

12,949 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Since Stephen F. Austin brought to his new colony many slave owning settlers as a part of The Old Three Hundred in 1821 (a historical fact), perhaps the city ought to rename itself after a person or generic term less offensive to anyone's sensitivities.

While the Council is at it, they should strike the names of Travis, Bowie, Lamar, Shivers, Waller, Cook, Pease, et al, who had any connection to slavery or discrimination from all edifices, schools, places, & streets.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:17 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,924 times
"Politicians, ugly buildings and whores all get respectable if they last long enough."
- Noah Cross

Nothing wrong with taking a few months to make a considered decision and allow plenty of public input on naming one of Austin's most iconic locations. If Vic Mathias is worthy, then in 3 months we'll have a nice naming ceremony for him and no controversy about it.

The first time I heard about the renaming was the day before the council meeting. I'm a pretty informed guy, been around Austin for a while, I had no idea this was happening and no real knowledge about Vic Mathias or why he's worthy of the honorific. He may well be a totally worthy dude and I'll be glad to support him if so. Taking a few months to figure that out - wise. I'm glad the city council overruled the Mayor on this one.

Otherwise we end up with embarrassments such as the Lance Armstrong Bikeway.

Last edited by Komeht; 05-23-2014 at 09:30 AM..

Old 05-23-2014, 05:41 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,845 times
White people problems. Renaming a lawn of a park.

I'm white by the way.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:53 PM

12,949 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
White people problems. Renaming a lawn of a park.

I'm white by the way.
You post on The Shagg?

Old 05-24-2014, 03:06 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
I'm against the renaming of anything for any reason, period. Name it, then leave it alone for crying out loud.

This is part of what makes Austin a screwed up city. Way too much renaming of streets and public amenities. City Hall now has an address on "Willie Nelson" street for Christ's sake. It's freaking 2nd St, except for that short section they renamed WN. I think city leaders got ahold of some of Willie's stash when they decided on that one.

None of this serves the city. All of it is a big waste of money and resources. Bad government at its worst.

Steve

Old 05-24-2014, 08:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I'm against the renaming of anything for any reason, period. Name it, then leave it alone for crying out loud.

This is part of what makes Austin a screwed up city. Way too much renaming of streets and public amenities. City Hall now has an address on "Willie Nelson" street for Christ's sake. It's freaking 2nd St, except for that short section they renamed WN. I think city leaders got ahold of some of Willie's stash when they decided on that one.

None of this serves the city. All of it is a big waste of money and resources. Bad government at its worst.

Steve
Agreed. When I moved here, the streets north to south from the river were named numerically. (Of course, to be perfectly honest, they'd been changed from the names of trees at some point.) The streets east to west were named after the rivers in Texas, east to west. VERY easy to remember and find your way around, for Texans, anyway, who knew the names of the streets and could count above 50.

Then 19th Street was changed to MLK (rather than naming a new street MLK). Then 1st Street was renamed Cesar Chavez (ditto). This messed with the very clear naming system already in place. All for political reasons.

I love Willie, have loved him forever. But he doesn't need a street named after him.

It is the height of DISrespect for Lady Bird Johnson to rename Town Lake after her after her very clearly expressed wishes during her lifetime that that not be done. What WERE they thinking? Or were they thinking at all?

Now, my heart wouldn't be broken if Lance Armstrong veloway were renamed, but on the other hand, the name IS a reminder to be careful who you make your heroes.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:32 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
I would agree on streets, in general, but I don't mind smaller areas being named - I mean, it is a damn sight easier to meet at Lou Neff point rather than 'that part of the trail on the south shore near the bridge over Barton Creek'. To me, renaming the lawn as opposed to the entire park is not a big deal.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:03 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I would agree on streets, in general, but I don't mind smaller areas being named - I mean, it is a damn sight easier to meet at Lou Neff point rather than 'that part of the trail on the south shore near the bridge over Barton Creek'. To me, renaming the lawn as opposed to the entire park is not a big deal.
Certain I'm not opposed to naming things for individuals. There ought to be some proportionality - that is the most important locales should go to those truly worthy of the honorific (I'm looking at you Lance Armstrong Bikeway).

Nothing against Vic Mathias either. Could be a totally stand up guy. Just saying that when you take an iconic piece of Austin and propose naming it for someone, then there ought to be a complete vetting and an opportunity for meaningful public comment. 90 days isn't much to ask.

Right decision was made this time by City Council.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:31 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
This is all so much BS. Town Lake was renamed without any ninety day review, as was the police training academy and the Town Lake Hike and Bike Trail. Just last week, a portion of a street and bridge were renamed for Margaret Moser on first reading.

It is sad that a scurrilous rumor can defile the name of someone who gave so much to this city as Vic Mathias. Selective outrage - which even the accuser admits is unfounded - on display.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin