U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 04:23 PM

11 posts, read 11,591 times

Advertisements

Hello, Austinites!

I graduated with a bachelor's degree in Information Sciences and Technology from Penn State earlier this month. I have had a job lined up since December, but I just found out today that I will be working in Austin after a month of training in New Jersey. I will be moving to Austin during the end of June. I have never been to Texas (or west of Ohio, actually), so this is an extremely exciting (also scary) time of life!

I'm not 100% sure about the exact address of my workplace, but I will need to find an apartment in or around Austin. With a monthly housing budget of ~$1000 (could probably afford a bit more for a noticeable improvement in quality, but cheaper would work as well), I'm wondering about what areas I should be looking into?

Any advice is appreciated as I have absolutely no knowledge of the area.

Thank you!
T
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 04:50 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,613,677 times
Figure out roughly where that office is - even a zip code. You'll be fine anywhere.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:48 PM

5,240 posts, read 10,936,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Figure out roughly where that office is - even a zip code. You'll be fine anywhere.
Traffic is a big issue here so locating somewhat close to where you work is pretty important. Good idea to find out at least the zip code and then we can point you in the right direction!

Old 05-23-2014, 11:49 PM

11 posts, read 11,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Traffic is a big issue here so locating somewhat close to where you work is pretty important. Good idea to find out at least the zip code and then we can point you in the right direction!
Gotcha. I'll get that soon and I will be back when I do

Old 05-24-2014, 09:33 AM

12,063 posts, read 12,442,685 times
Welcome yinzer! I'm a graduate of CMU, you'll find the climate and culture here vastly different from what you're used to, but that is what life is about, expanding beyond your comfort zones...

We'll need more info to help you in your relocation.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:10 PM

13 posts, read 20,255 times
I am actually potentially relocating to the Austin area from pa and him in the same boat, if you make any progress please let me know.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:08 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,800,116 times
I LOVE Pittsburgh! I have an uncle and cousins on the Northside, in Deutschtown, just a block from The Priory. You'll enjoy Austin, although nothing here really compares to the Strip. Welcome!!

Old 05-30-2014, 07:32 PM

14 posts, read 25,886 times
I would recommend not moving here.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:07 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,012,283 times
Moved here 1.5 years ago from Buffalo.

Great area.

I like the Austin Suburbs much more than Austin itself.

I would not like living in Austin, or commuting to Austin on a daily basis.

I live in a rural suburb, and work in another suburb.

Great life, but it depends what you want I guess.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:18 PM

181 posts, read 399,127 times
I think you will like Austin. I moved down here 4 years ago from a Northern Suburb of Pittsburgh. Sorta like Pittsburgh with different areas for different entertainment and living costs. Think of the South Side, Monroeville, Station Square, Strip District, Mt Lebanon. Austin is like that depending of whether you live in Austin or North, South, East or West.
I live North of Austin in Cedar Park. It is like living in Hampton Township.
Rent is going to be higher than you think because of all the people moving in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin