Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 05:39 AM

75 posts, read 80,920 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband, toddler and I are very excited to move to Austin from NYC in August. We're planning to rent for a year before buying and I'm trying to narrow down the neighborhoods in advance of a trip in July to meet with an apartment broker. Here's my list so far:
- Cherrywood in East Austin
- Far West area
- Zilker Park area

Here's our wish list:

- $1500 or less for a 2 bedroom/1 bath - I'd rather save $ for a down payment than have fancy amenities or granite countertops
- Other young families
- Safe neighborhood
- Ideally with parks/playground nearby
- Would be nice to have an older area with trees
- Close to good preschool options (I assume this is everywhere though?)
- On a bus/train route would be nice but not a deal-breaker
- Somewhat centrally located - I'll be working from home but my husband is job-hunting and we're not sure where he'll land - likely downtown

Any suggestions on neighborhoods or even specific apartment complexes we should consider? Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 03:30 PM

615 posts, read 779,083 times
Cherrywood is lovely, but I'm not sure you could get a 2 bedroom house there for $1,500. Zilker is nice and the park is right there. I also think there are some apartment complexes in the area where you may be able to get closer to your budget, rather then renting a house.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:44 PM

Thanks, that's good to know about Cherrywood. I do think we'll probably need an apartment to stick to our budget.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:34 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,731,636 times
Not to be funny, but in the last few years we have seen a rash of people moving here from NYC. What does Austin and Texas have to do with New York? We are about as a 180 degree turn culturally and politically as you're going to get. I have to ask...why?

Old 05-29-2014, 07:38 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,846,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
Not to be funny, but in the last few years we have seen a rash of people moving here from NYC. What does Austin and Texas have to do with New York. We are about as a 180 degree turn culturally and politically as you're going to getI have to ask...why?
There's your answer.

I have quite a few good friends that were from the east coast, the prevailing reason(s) they moved:

It sucks there

It's colder than you can imagine

I'm really tired of living hand to mouth with 3 roommates chasing a rabbit I'll never catch.

Visited Austin, and it was awesome.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:41 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,731,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
There's your answer.

I have quite a few good friends that were from the east coast, the prevailing reason(s) they moved:

It sucks there

It's colder than you can imagine

I'm really tired of living hand to mouth with 3 roommates chasing a rabbit I'll never catch.

Visited Austin, and it was awesome.
So, you're Coach Taylor too?

Old 05-29-2014, 07:55 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,262,830 times
Quote:
Not to be funny, but in the last few years we have seen a rash of people moving here from NYC. What does Austin and Texas have to do with New York? We are about as a 180 degree turn culturally and politically as you're going to get. I have to ask...why?
You are presuming that 100% of the people that live there are totally bought into that particular zeitgeist. Nothing is 100%.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:49 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,846,232 times
Quote:
So, you're Coach Taylor too?
Uh, no.

But you questioned the "rash of people". Not a specific person.

Not everyone is happy with where they grew up. Not everyone wants to be around people with the exact same politics, not everyone wants the exact same thing.

Transient nature is what this nation was built on.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:17 PM

13,441 posts, read 15,411,159 times
Hey I came here for love before the I heart austin decade. You know he it goes...the Texan ain't gonna leave Texas, so here I am

Old 05-30-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Why thank you for the warm welcome. ;-)

We are born-and-bred Texans, and Austin has always been our long-term plan since before it was the cool thing to do.

We both went to UT so have lived in Austin before, but that was 10 years ago and our neighborhood knowledge is pretty much limited to West Campus and Hyde Park. We wanted to get out of Texas and have an adventure, so we did for a few years and it's been great, but now it's time to come home.

As for the NYC/Austin cultural/political divide...I know and I have mixed feelings. Culturally and politically NYC is a better fit, and I'm not too thrilled about living in Dan Patrick country. But on a day-to-day basis, it's all about the people you surround yourself with, and we have amazing family and friends in Austin. It's not like we're visiting NYC's fine cultural institutions every weekend anyway - we're at the park and playground with our kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: