Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2007, 12:02 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else experience major window condensation yesterday with the cold rain? All of our metal windows we dripping water onto the window sills worse than I've ever seen. Our iron front door had water running down it and pooling in the entry. Today everything is back to normal, but we soaked several towels going around drying all the windows.

Steve

Last edited by austin-steve; 12-13-2007 at 12:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 12:14 PM

101 posts, read 383,563 times
Hi Steve,

Yep. Exactly the same story here over the last couple of days. If I were a scientist I would probably be able to explain it properly, but I guess that its down to the cold (combined with rain) outside air meeting the heat radiating from the house. Crikey, it was just like being back in London - I want my money back! There the problem is mainly alleviated by double glazing, but where single glazing is installed its very much prevalent.

Back to normal today though - what a gorgeous morning.

Ttfn

Simon.

Last edited by south side chap; 12-13-2007 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-13-2007, 01:21 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
The cold front, followed by warm/moist air, probably pulled in a lot of humidity but not enought heat to cause you to turn on the AC, so the humidity was just hanging around. The subsequent cool front caused it to condense out again. It might also be somehow related to the metal windows expanding and contracting to let moisture in around them, dunno.... Anyway, we did not get any condensation, so it might also be very specific to the window/house contruction, or whether you turned your ac on. We turned ours on for a few hours to dry the house out the other day, so I am sure a lot of moisture was removed.

Anyway, heating/cooling cycles cause structures to 'breath' quite a bit, so I suspect many houses were almosting panting the last few days.... .

Old 12-13-2007, 01:28 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
Do you have guttering? If not, the cold water dropping straight off the roof and getting on the outside of the glass will cool it dramatically, making the warm moist air inside condense and drip everywhere.

Condensation results from warm moist ambient indoor air hitting a cold surface. If you keep the inside surface warmer (double glazing, guttering etc) and the inside moisture levels down (open windows when you can, put the extractor fan on in kitchen, shower rooms etc) the problem should improve

Old 12-13-2007, 01:32 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Did anyone else experience major window condensation yesterday with the cold rain? All of our metal windows we dripping water onto the window sills worse than I've ever seen. Our iron front door had water running down it and pooling in the entry. Today everything is back to normal, but we soaked several towels going around drying all the windows.

Steve
Exact same thing happened to me.
I'm glad to hear it wasn't just my house. This is my first winter in it, and I was worried that I'd have to keep sponges in my sills all season!

Old 12-13-2007, 01:41 PM

147 posts, read 572,506 times
Steve,

This happens at our house when it's very cold outside and the heater is on. The metal around the glass is not insulated so it condenses water on the surface much like a cold glass of water does on a hot day.

The heater does not extract moisture from the air like the A/C does. In a newer house the construction is usually very air tight and the moisture can not escape. Try opening your fire place flue next time.

Fortunately it doesn't get cold here for long periods of time.

LTA

Old 12-13-2007, 02:51 PM

233 posts, read 1,045,951 times
It's not so noticeable at these temperatures, but the humidity has been in the mid-eighties to mid-nineties over the last couple of days so there is a lot of water vapor. I was in a parking garage yesterday where the temperature of the cement must have been below the dew point - the water vapor in the air was condensing so fast on the concrete it was literally raining inside the garage.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:48 PM

701 posts, read 2,481,812 times
Our windows had a ton of condensation, too and have had that issue for a while. I assumed that it's because they're metal. They're double-paned though, so I was kind of surprised to find it happening.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
My windows too had alot of condensation. I think it was due to the drastic drop in temps plus the humidity.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:09 PM

264 posts, read 1,094,140 times
It was funny, because I read the night before that there were going to be patches with very, very thick fog around here, so I looked out the window and I thought "they were right! look at all that fog!" so I get my mind ready for a "foggy" winter early morning exercise session and I opened the door... "what? where did all the fog go?" looked at the window and sure enough... well, all the "fog" was there, right on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: