Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 02:42 AM

362 posts, read 1,057,644 times

Advertisements

I would have too say Austin!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 10:31 AM

173 posts, read 459,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new in town View Post
Thank you very much, Luvlee for your detailed response. I think both me and my husband are much more inclined to go to Austin than to Louiville now.Which area/school district do you live in? Do you like Austin more now than Pennsylvania where you grew up? Did you adjust to hot summers in Texas?

I live in the South Austin area. I looked for a house as far away from my Auntie up in North East Austin as I could get and still be in Austin city limits (I came 1100 miles to be within 10 miles of her...and that's close enough!!) teehee!

Plus, south Austin is the nicest, most diverse area in the city-in my opinion and it's very possible to find a great apartment or a great house at reasonable prices.

South Austin also has a lot of hustle and bustle, lots of traffic I like it for the fact that it feels like a neighborhood even though it's within a large sprawling city, plus I like hustle and bustle...I'm a city gal through and through, which is why I didn't buy a cheaper house up in Manor like I could've-that's where my ex-husband bought his house when he came down here last year, dirt cheap! But that place is country, puredee country.

So my kids are in the Austin Independent School District.
and the schools in south Austin are very good except for Aiken highschool which my kids will not be attending.

I do like Austin better than Pittsburgh and with all the trees here I feel at home I am reminded of my hometown. But Pittsburgh is not rivaled in beauty by any city-Pennsylvania is still the most beautiful place I have ever seen.

The Austin heat I have adjusted to and so have my kids.
When I talk about being hot, they look at me funny cause they don't know what I'm talking about. And I'm not feeling the heat like I did my first summer here.

Whewwee!! I thought I was gonna melt, burst into flames or something, I promise I didn't know it could get that hot on planet Earth till I moved down here!!

When I go out, I carry an umbrella, wear sunscreen and carry bottled water with me wherever I go. I also plan my outtings so that I am never outdoors for longer than a few hours before going inside into air conditioning...

It's very easy for your skin to burn here even for me being African American, but it takes prolonged unprotected exposure for that to happen in most cases.

My daughter has a cinnamon brown complexion and she came in this summer from swimming and her face was all red and swelling, I had to rub her down with some healing cream from Ambi for two days straight and keep her inside for the redness to clear up. My son has more of a honey complexion he doesn't burn...probably cause the sun can't catch up to him fast as he movesbut his previously sandy brown hair has turned completely red from the sun...we call him carrot top

I have a lighter complexion than both of them and being over thirty sunscreen, umbrellas, staying out of the sun as much as I can and plenty of water and moisturizer cause with this sun and heat down here and at my age I'm afraid black might just crack afterall so I don't take any chances!

Our skin is usually very well protected due to the melanin but the sun and heat here are not like up north, this is something altogether different!

Trust me if you have never spent a summer here you don't know heat yet. Well maybe you do if you've ever turned on your oven and climbed in! But otherwise...you're in for a surprise!

If I forget to bring my bottled water with me, I have to buy some while I'm out cause the back of my throat is just parched after a few hours outdoors.

And it also helps not to be out and about moving around outdoors at the hottest part of the day. Cause it drains you pretty quickly. But you get used to it, you learn to deal with it so don't let that stop you from coming.

One good thing about Austin is that it's filled with great neighborhoods-as diverse as the good people who call Austin home, there's something for everyone so come have a look around, I'm sure you'll enjoy being here!

Last edited by luvlee; 12-16-2007 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: error

Old 12-16-2007, 10:43 AM

87 posts, read 321,058 times
Default Weather clarification

I find myself bringing this up often, but really out of necessity... it bears mentioning that yes, the summers in Austin can get extraordinarily hot. That said, if you can put up with three months of 95+ degree weather you get two full seasons of gorgeous weather to make up for it.

Don't believe everything you hear about it being rainy when it's not hot either. Austin gets a little over 30 inches a year, which is actually below the national average. It does tend to rain a LOT when those clouds finally break but in between bouts of inclement weather you may have weeks of sunshine at a time. Personally I'd rather take the occasional "monsoon" than to have the sky overcast constantly like it wants to rain but only gets around to it every now and then (one of the reasons I couldn't see myself living in Portland or Seattle).

Right now I'm living in Indianapolis (planning on moving back to Austin in Feb.). I'm not familiar with Louisville culturally but I assume the weather there is somewhat similar to Indy since it's only a couple hours down the road. Frankly, the weather is one of the main reasons I'm looking to move. Having lived most of my life in Texas, it boggles my mind that there are people who refuse to have to deal with maybe an aggregate 30 days of 100+ degree weather spread out here and there, but they have no problem coping with 3-4 months straight of ice, snow and bitter cold. Bottom line: different folks differ on which extreme they prefer, but I think most of us agree on what constitutes "nice weather" and there are many more days of that down south each year than there are up north.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:39 AM

173 posts, read 459,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julrey View Post
I find myself bringing this up often, but really out of necessity... it bears mentioning that yes, the summers in Austin can get extraordinarily hot. That said, if you can put up with three months of 95+ degree weather you get two full seasons of gorgeous weather to make up for it.

Don't believe everything you hear about it being rainy when it's not hot either. Austin gets a little over 30 inches a year, which is actually below the national average. It does tend to rain a LOT when those clouds finally break but in between bouts of inclement weather you may have weeks of sunshine at a time. Personally I'd rather take the occasional "monsoon" than to have the sky overcast constantly like it wants to rain but only gets around to it every now and then (one of the reasons I couldn't see myself living in Portland or Seattle).

Right now I'm living in Indianapolis (planning on moving back to Austin in Feb.). I'm not familiar with Louisville culturally but I assume the weather there is somewhat similar to Indy since it's only a couple hours down the road. Frankly, the weather is one of the main reasons I'm looking to move. Having lived most of my life in Texas, it boggles my mind that there are people who refuse to have to deal with maybe an aggregate 30 days of 100+ degree weather spread out here and there, but they have no problem coping with 3-4 months straight of ice, snow and bitter cold. Bottom line: different folks differ on which extreme they prefer, but I think most of us agree on what constitutes "nice weather" and there are many more days of that down south each year than there are up north.

This brings back to my remembrance some quirky things about Louisville,

They are afraid to drive in the rain!!! No pardon me, light drizzle frightens them, heavy rain terrifies the city and makes everyone late (with excuse) getting to work.

And driving over bridgesoh my goodness, they are petrified of it, prefer not to do it and avoid it whenever possible. (I'm talking about those born and raised there)

But they call themselves The river city!! And unless you go over the bridge, I promise you there is no other way to get to Indiana.

And it doesn't snow much there, but when it does and I'm talking about two or three inches of snow....It shuts the city DOWN!!

Now growing up in Pittsburgh PA, this was all very peculiar and well...silly to me. Yeah thirty inches over night might mean a snow day or two for the kids, but I probably still have to go to work. And that's if it falls overnight, but if it falls over the period of a few days, you can forget it, kids are going to school, adults are going to work, mail man is coming, so is the bus and after you dig your car out, you'll be going too. And going over bridges is like petting a puppy...who cares! And when it rains we are just glad it's not snowing.

But there was that one freakish year back in the 90's I forget exactly which year but it was somewhere between 91 and 94, when we got so much snow...even for Pittsburgh. The buses were still running, the store trucks were still running cause they both have chains on their tires, the mail was still being delivered...cause we're just like that in the Burgh, it takes more than a little bit of or a lot of snow to stop us.

This particular day, it had snowed so much overnight and the next morning I was trying to get to the store truck about thirty yards from my front door and I nearly got stuck hip deep in snow (I'm only five feet tall) and I just couldn't go any further I was afraid if I fell down in the stuff I wouldn't be able to get up, I looked wistfully at the store truck (I musta been trying to buy a pepsi or something) and then back at my front door and I had to turn around and go back the way I came. That was the one year the snow won, it took the city three days to get to my neighborhood (up on mount oliver) and it was that long before I could walk on the sidewalks again.

That's why back in February 2004 when I first got to Austin and my Uncle woke me up and asked me if I wanted to see the snow, that everybody was all excited over. I got up peeked out the window and crawled back into bed and pulled the covers over my head.

"That ain't snow." I said dozing off again.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:56 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
This brings back to my remembrance some quirky things about Louisville,
Change Louisville to Austin, and that paragraph is still pretty accurate .

Old 02-15-2008, 01:09 PM

204 posts, read 1,484,762 times
Austin and Louisville are the two cities I'm looking at right now. This post just confused me even more. : ( I can't decide. I wasn't in Austin long enough to know what living there would be like. I visted during SXSW so I'm sure the city was more congested than usual. I have yet to visit Louisville

Old 02-15-2008, 01:54 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Here is a comparison I made before on here:
Thank you for reposting that! As a Chicagoan, it would be much easier to understand this (and much closer for me to check out). Unfortunately, the weather is another factor and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it warmer in Austin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin