Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:02 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlee View Post
"You can keep your car in the driveway!" He keeps telling me (Teehee)
It seems to me that's what garages in Texas are for - storage. Every street I go down around here, there's like 500 cars all over the place

Hmm, makes me pine for my old basement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 04:31 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
It'd be easy to put stuff in the attic if there were more flooring But yes, you're right about that. We sit around talking about cleaning out our garage enough to get the cars in, but so far it hasn't happened.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:07 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
It'd be easy to put stuff in the attic if there were more flooring But yes, you're right about that. We sit around talking about cleaning out our garage enough to get the cars in, but so far it hasn't happened.
My parents have a big two-car garage filled with an assortment of stuff. Every year when winter comes, he clears out just enough room for my mother's car(so she won't have to clear off the snow). This is his winter preparation ritual. Their basement is just as bad, as are both of the spare bedrooms! It has been my goal in life not to live like that...makes me nuts(but of course my folks house would not be the same without all of my Dad's junk)

The more space you have, the more crap you need to fill it up

I call my father Fred Sanford...but I guess that would make me LaMonte
Attached Thumbnails
What do you pitch when moving?-fred-lamont.jpg  

Old 12-19-2007, 12:24 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,627,418 times
This thread reminds me of a George Carlin joke that we buy bigger houses because we have "more stuff."

Seriously, lose the useless paperwork. I can't believe how much we brought with us, but I miss having a basement living here for my gym equipment.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:15 AM

347 posts, read 1,567,418 times
We keep $50,000 worth of cars in our driveway because our garage is completely filled with worthless crap. Where is the logic in this? (My husband is definitely a packrat. Sentimental people should never be allowed to do their own packing. They'll bring it all!)

Old 12-19-2007, 08:30 PM

701 posts, read 2,482,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Yum. I bet that was lovely. I hope you took photos?

I've moved enough appliances. Screw that. In fact, I've never bought super high end models just for that reason. I don't want to get attached to a washer!

Then again, I wouldn't part with a gorgeous custom-made oak 1940s credenza that was my grandmother's. Hauling that sucker up to our 3rd floor apmt made one of our hired movers puke. Literally.

Better him then me
No photos. It was that bad. No way would I ask him to open it long enough to get a shot.

Poor guy. I hope you had tictacs for him or something.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
That's good advice. Makes the decision about all those back issues of "Real Simple", well.... Simple.
LOL. I read an issue of that once. After I found an article explaining to me how to eat an ice cream cone I was pretty much done with that publication.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:36 PM

Anyone watch those shows on TV like Clean Sweep? I'm a packrat and to me it's like watching a horror movie.

But sometimes, you come across a particularly bad situation where the stuff people are compelled to keep mean nothing and are worth even less but somehow critters manage to put them to good use. Nasty.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:02 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times
I LOVE "Clean Sweep." I used to be a real slob *and* a packrat - not a good combo. I'm very minimalistic now.

A couple of years ago I rented one of those dumpsters construction sites use and purged big time. I had already donated more to Goodwill and St.Vinney's than most people do in a lifetime and it was to the point that there was so much stuff I couldn't even sort it very well.

Pitching most of it was very liberating and I've only missed 1 or two things. Not bad considering I filled that puppy to the brim.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:42 PM

We rented two dumpsters when we moved and filled them and still had stuff left over for a third dumpster. It was a little nuts. The problem was we thought it would all fit in one crate...nope! We took bad advice on that one.

My trouble is that we did a garage sale once. We made just a little over $11. I sold a book that I thought "I'll never need again...I do web work, not print" and that book was worth a little more than $11. Guess what I still needed? I need to purge, but I need to know how to do it correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin